• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat suggestions

Steelhead7

I recently purchased a home on the river and was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on what I should and shouldn't get as far as a boat. Mud motor, jet prop, something else? My other boat won't work and the wife is open to me buying something but I don't even know what that something should be. How much horsepower do I need? If I can learn anything from anyone elses mistakes or insights it would be greatly apprecaiatated.

Well,

I'm kinda biased towards a particular brand. But, knowing what your intended use & budget is, will help others chime in with advice. KT

Intended use would be 90% fishing and 10% draging the kids up river to throw them out and let them tube home. Budget? The 2nd home is a pinch but I definately don't want to save a few thousand and then have to pay for it later when I'm not happy with what I bought and have to upgrade.

Paul at [email protected]

Having spent the better part of 45 years fishing the Mississippi in everything from canoes, kayaks, v-bottom aluminum, Grumman Sport Boats and flat bottomed Jon Boats I finally ponied up and purchased a River Pro. The initial investment is not cheap; but when I look back at how much I have spent over the years getting to this point I could have bought a few River Pros. Kevin Turner was way too humble in his response earlier. I know why he is partial to one brand...it's because he builds the best river craft on the market. I'm sure any of the River Pro owners will be more than happy to give you a demo ride. (I know that I will) Check out the River Pro before you make any decision. You will not be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead7

if anyone can offer suggestions on what I should and shouldn't get as far as a boat. Mud motor, jet prop, something else?

bud, i am tired of the canoe route to fishing the river, i'm looking to, there is a guy that gave me a spin in a blaser boat at montisipi park last summer - fun time and i'm trying to scrape the pennies together to get'r done

Iffn it aint a Riverpro, it aint a river boat...

PERIOD!!!

Originally Posted By: MSRiverdog
I keep volunteering to trade my 1800 Fisherman for a RiverPro but they don't even answer. W T F

Well.... what did you expect?? whistle.gif Their is no comparison. I have driven several OB jets and now several RPs... In all honesty, there is no comparison. If you want shallow draft, maneuverability, and fish-ability....while still allowing the family to have some fun as well.... it just has to be a River-Pro... But I guess I am a little biased now.... whistle.gifgrin.gif

Originally Posted By: MSRiverdog
I keep volunteering to trade my 1800 Fisherman for a RiverPro but they don't even answer. W T F

Hey, you could be riding in the sweet baby pro but you let it slip thru your fingers. grin.gif

I also live on the river, but I am not sure if I can afford a River Pro right now. I am sure a used one is hard to come across but if you guys do know of one what kind of price am I looking at? Thanks

Hands down he makes the best River boat out there especially for the rocky Sippi, and you will hit rocks. Ask MSRD and my past props:) LOL

You can fish the river any number of ways and be effective. I did it for 25 years out of a number of different john boats with a prop motor. I was able to fish just fine out of something like that. Slow through he shallows, certainly. It forces you to learn how to recognize shallow spots. Shallow areas adjacent to deeper holes, sounds like a fish holding spot.

I guess whether its a john boat, kayak, drift boat or canoe you can fish the river.

Now I have a blazer with a jet outboard and considering the water levels this past summer, I am happy with the performance and I no longer need to putt-putt through the shallows.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a place on the river you will want to fish it as much as possible, whenever possible. There is no two ways about it the RiverPro is by far the best option. I have had one for 4 seasons, have hit a whole bunch of rocks, and I'm never in the shop. I know, though, from asking a few questions and requesting some options that the customer service is a refreshing surprize in today's world. This RiverPro owner couldn't be happier.

What is your budget? under 10K? 10-15K? 15-20? 20-25? I've ran both OB jets, and SportJet powered boats such as the RP mentioned. I prefer the RP. The main issue will be how much do you have available to spend. The other thing you mention is being able to do family stuff........ex. tow some people. you will have a very difficult time towing anybody with an OB jet unless it's a very large HP....in which case your backend of the boat will be extremely heavy...........and therefore won't draft very shallow.........plus, you'll own a gas hog. My current RP will draft shallow when not under power (7-9"). Run on plane in 3-4", and has the ability to temporarily run in under 1" of water for 1 to 2 boatlengths through a hydroplaning technique you are able to do as a result of the hull shape on RP's and some other West Coast JB boat mfg's.

Intended use would be 90% fishing and 10% draging the kids up river to throw them out and let them tube home. Paul at [email protected]

I was just thinking Paul that I have never seen anyone pull a tube on the Monticello to St Cloud stretch. It sounds like a good idea, right up to the point where you take a spill and find out its only a foot deep or nail a rock. Not certain if that is what you meant.

In the summer, there are people floating it all the time in tubes.

I pull an Obrien triple dare with three teenagers behind an '04 Sea Doo on my lake and it has no problem snapping all that weight up. cool

Whatever happen to that outboard tiller River Pro model KT was working on. I think I read about it in this forum a couple of years ago.

One thing anybody considering a river boat should do is to look at durability. Look specifically at the guage of the bottom and the strength of the craft in general. On the river that is the most important thing, in my opinion. That is where some of the RiverPro's advantages are seen. You can live without some of the superior RiverPro performance, but can you live without durability? There is no way around it - - you will hit rocks and bottom if you spend real time on the river.

A person may still choose the lighter craft and to save some money, but the buyer should at least carefully investigate what he's getting into before making that choice.

I went throught the same issues a few years ago! Tough choices. I have a 50hp/35hp outboard jet on a 16' jon boat with stick steering. The boat is great gets me anywhere I wantd during most of the year. It does have the issue of strength in the hull though. I have had to repair the transom so many times it wasnt worth my time. This fall I bought a RP and so far the difference is unbelivable. The width of the boat is my biggest shock, but also I am able to put in at closer landings to home and run the river to my fishing spots. Now all I have to do is get make the old boat a memory!

Originally Posted By: Navigator
 Originally Posted By: Steelhead7
Intended use would be 90% fishing and 10% draging the kids up river to throw them out and let them tube home. Paul at [email protected]

I was just thinking Paul that I have never seen anyone pull a tube on the Monticello to St Cloud stretch. It sounds like a good idea, right up to the point where you take a spill and find out its only a foot deep or nail a rock. Not certain if that is what you meant.

In the summer, there are people floating it all the time in tubes.

I pull an Obrien triple dare with three teenagers behind an '04 Sea Doo on my lake and it has no problem snapping all that weight up. cool.gif

Very good Point Navigator about that Sea Doo idea. It reminded me of a RiverPro video i saw last week on that video website where this guy (not Kevin Turner) was showing his RP and called it a Jet Ski on steroids. The RiverPro is truely that....so why have a SeaDoo (for $5-10K.........or more), and have a OB jet on a jon boat ($8-18K) when you can have one boat like a RP that gives you the best of both, plus has a HD hull that is twice as thick as your average jon boat, and is available for just a few % more with a double bottom? So, if'n you are doing double duty....your decision is even more simple thanks to John Navitrol. Good point dude!

Originally Posted By: fonz1958

Very good Point Navigator... so why have a SeaDoo (for $5-10K.........or more), and have a OB jet on a jon boat ($8-18K) when you can have one boat like a RP that gives you the best of both,

Thanks who-ever you are?? Other point, because I like boats! whistle.gif Guess that's why I own a deep-v, river boat, pontoon and a jet ski. I keep the ones I like and discard the rest. Hey, maybe some day I will own one of turners boats too.

Originally Posted By: Navigator
Thanks who-ever you are??

What do you mean? He's Fonz1958. He's also a superior river man proven by actually being on the river.

For me, I want to catch as many fish as I can. The RiverPro allows me to do just that. I don't have to avoid sections because I'll rip by hull open if I try to drift through heavy current which will hold both the biggest fish and boulders. I fish wherever I want, whenever I want, and catch a lot more big fish. The RP is the only craft that will withstand the abuse of the river in those conditions.

[quote name='threeballWhat do you mean? He's Fonz1958. He's also a superior river man proven by actually being on the river.

For me' date=' I want to catch as many fish as I can. The RiverPro allows me to do just that. I don't have to avoid sections because I'll rip by hull open if I try to drift through heavy current which will hold both the biggest fish and boulders. I fish wherever I want, whenever I want, and catch a lot more big fish. The RP is the only craft that will withstand the abuse of the river in those conditions. [/quote']

riiiight, two nobodys are river experts, yaaaawwwn sleep.gif

Im stickin with my plan too buy a blazer \:\)

Dearest KaseyT: I would be more than happy to provide a demo ride in either the Blazer boat as a fishing club friend of mine has one, and it's a fine craft. I've chatted with him and he's always ready to provide demo's.....I would offer my boat, and i know a number of others who've got River Pro's (either High or Lo Pro's) who would offer the same. There are MANY boat choices that will work for folks on the river, and there are many good river fisherman. All the good riverfisherman I know are not condescending and don't namecall by calling folks nobody's? Let's try to keep this forum clean and fun and educational. Much appreciated. Fonz

Originally Posted By: KaseyT
riiiight, two nobodys are river experts, yaaaawwwn sleep.gif

Im stickin with my plan too buy a blazer \:\)

I didn't claim to be an river expert. I merely wrote that my boat allows me to catch more fish than I would in another boat.

What criteria caused you to conclude that someone is a nobody?

• 8 months later...

best summer for bass BF, many catfish frys 2, "Don't sweat the small stuff" look down dude,

"What criteria caused you to conclude that someone is a nobody?" yur picture LOL the only thing missing is buck teeth

best summer for bass BF, many catfish frys 2, "Don't sweat the small stuff" look down dude,

"What criteria caused you to conclude that someone is a nobody?" yur picture LOL the only thing missing is buck teeth

Took awhile to come up with that?

So did you get a Blazer?