• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chaska Fire Dept 51st annual Fishing Contest 1/26/08

Chaska Fire Dept is holding it's 51st annual Fishing Contest on January 26th at Fireman's Park in Chaska MN (northwest corner of highways 41 and 212 in downtown Chaska). The entry fee is $2.00/fisher which also enters contestant in the "at the lake prize drawing". Proceeds help the Chaska Fire Dept pay for equipment, supplies, etc. Some prizes include Vexilar FL-12 and FL-20, tackle packs, rods and cases, portable ice shelter, Fish TV underwater camera, and more. For more info check out http://www.chaskafire.org and click on fishing contest link at left.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds good, what lake is this on? Looks like some nice prizes for only a $2 entry. Is there usually a lot of people there?

Its at the firemens clayhole right in downtown chaska. It normally draws quite a few people. Not many big fish are caught and it gives everybody with a line is the water a chance to win. Last year the winner was a 1 lb bass. A keeper sunny or a keeper crappie would easily put you in the top 10. It is a well run tournament and it goes to a good cause.

bassboy6109, that is a good way to sum it up, Thanks. This is my first year on the Chaska Fire Dept and will only be my second time at the tournament. It is usually pretty busy, the tournament runs from 2:00pm to 4:00 pm, but I think you can be there as early as 12:00pm to get your spot on the lake. All the holes are drilled the morning of, I believe that is our (the rookies) job. More info can be found at http://www.chaskafire.org and click on the fishing contest link.

sounds like a great time to meet alot of new people.

I might have to stop by there and check it out. Anyone else going?

On a nice day, 800-1,000 people. On a really cold day, 600-800 people.

I'll be there also, but I'll be weighing in fish. The beauty of the prize list is that a child can catch a .20 lb sunny and have a good chance of winning any of the bottom 40 prizes. Then I have seen as mentioned above a one lb. bass win the first prize, but have also seen a 2.5 lb walleye win first and also a 11 lb. northern win first.

This is just a great day to come out to the lake and have fun fishing for the whole family. We serve food and beverages on the lake and also in the warming pavilion. So, if your kids get a little cold you can take them up to the hut and warm them up a bit. Hope to see a bunch of you out there this year again. I know in the past we've had a good share of people from this forum come out and support us and we really do appreciate that. See ya on the 26th!

I attended this last year...cold as a mother out there, but man it was fun. This coming from a guy who got snubbed while Sarg. Slabber kept pulling in fish after fish...of course, he let the big crappie get away at the hole!

Looking forward to this...make sure to get to the VFW early for Bloody Mary's before heading out to the ice.

Hey Fireman 182, this sounds like a great event, to bad I will be on Mille Lacs for that weekend but as one fireman to another I will pass the word around the east metro try and get you some support

keep up the great work brother!

With this nice cold spell coming this weekend, we should be putting on a few more inches of ice. I'm just hoping that it warms up a bit for the following weekend to make it a little more comfortable on the ice for anyone coming out.

srgt slabber has plenty of stories of the one that got away!! I have gone many years to it with him. (he's my unc) but now its in jan. from 2-4 right?

Yep! Sat. Jan. 26th from 2-4 p.m. Just a great family day too. The kids love weighing in the .050 to .15 lb. sunfish.

yeah the only time i actually caught one it was like 2oz and didnt make the board

I was looking over the site and FAQs and wondering do we need to pre-register or can we sign up on the day of the event?

Thanks Guys,

You just register there, it helps if you fill out the raffle tickets ahead of time. I'm not sure where you get them though, we got ours in the mail a month ago.

Well, we put more ice on the big lake, (small pond), this weekend and the weather people say it's going to be in the mid 20's for temperatures. Should be an awesome day if you want to come out and join us. If someone wants to pick up tickets before Saturday, I did drop some off at the tackle and bait shop in Victoria. They have them at the cash register.

Thanks fireman182, I'll pick up my tickets tomorrow before work! Sounds like it will be nice weather!

Just checked the forecast and they say it's going to be 30 and partly cloudy. Sounds like it's going to be a perfect day for the contest. Finally some good weather for this thing. Last year it was a bit cold and windy and the year before that we had to have all the drawings for prizes at the fire station. Still a fun day, but no fishing.

I am definetly looking forward to the contest. I have been fishing this contest for probably 30 years. I think I've only missed it twice in those 30. It's always a good time, especially when the weather cooperates! You would think after fishing this contest for that long, that I would have at least had my name called once during the raffle, but no! Maybe this will be the year that I win a free haircut or something. See ya there...

I could look for an old gift certificate to Rog's Barber shop for a hair cut, but he closed up and it's a tatoo parlor now. You could probably get a Fishing Minnesota tatoo on your arm though. Ha ha! Thanks for the support over the years. I hear that alot from guys who I sell tickets to. That they never win. I just tell them to hang in there and one of these years it might happen.

We've got the lake plowed off for Saturday, so I'm sure we added another 3 inches of ice last night. They are still talking low 30's for Saturday so bring the kids out and catch some fish. Hope a bunch of you can make it. It's going to be a great day.

you should get harvey lee out there with his nils and he can show us all how good it cuts 1500 holes, i will bring my stopwatch.

That would be fun. It only takes about 1-1/2 hours to drill the holes with 8 power augers going and 20 people switching out on the augers. I think he'd need a set or two of replacement blades.

I am definitely gonna join in on this. Might have a friend and/or father-in-law come along as well. Can't wait it should be a good day.