• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My daughter and I are gonna try for some rainbows in the morning. Just wondering if anyone else was out troutin' today? I heard there was alot of activity on Caribou, typical for opening weekend. Any reports????

Brian

Was out on Caribou yesterday, had fun but didnt catch anything. Had one hit but couldn't catch him. There were about 13 houses out there. Talked to a group of five people and they caught one all day. Pretty slow.

Don't feel bad, Caribou is a tough nut to crack!!! I've caught more 10"ers out there than bigger one's! The rainbows on Tioga Pit weren't cooperating either. My daughter and I fished shallow and deep, no fish seen at all......unusual!

Brian

I was on Caribou with the king. I know we aren't the only fmer's to fish trout around the area. Lets here some reports! How was taylor? Nickel? Moonshine? Kremer? Larson? Anything!!!! Grand Rapids has been pretty slow for posting and alot of peole have been out fishing. I wanna here some stories, see some pictures whatever. Let's make this site fun again!!

Amen crappie king!!!

About Caribou, I walk out and was wondering how much slush or snow was on top of the ice, and how much ice did you find? I'll probably give it a try the first part of next week, as my wife and I are LOW bound this week.

Brian

When we were out there was about 6-8 inches of snow and about 2-3 inches of slush. VERY WET! We also saw about five open springs on the north side of the lake. So if your out there with a sled or wheeler be careful.

Was up on Caribou all weekend and managed to get 1 laker around 4 lbs. with 2 additional broken lines on other fish. Lots of little fish biting but not hooking up with them. We found atleast 10 inches of ice where we drilled. 60 FOW seemed to be the key for us. Anyone else have any luck in other depths?

Hey now don't be talking up my fish too much, even though it was a d*&$ nice fish. Too bad we didn't get the others up the hole it would have really been a good day then. Maybe next time I will let you use that hook I had!!!

fished Blue last weekend, 1 hookup no catch. Fish seemed inactive, if you moved the bait gone.... Quite a few people on the lake---1 party had some good luck. Sunday fished stream trout north of Buhl. upon arrival caught a 16.5" brooky---things looked good, but nothing after that. Thinking about Caribou tomorrow

I guess I will pipe in because I love chasing those trout. We only caught one trout opening weekend happened to be a 5 lb splake but no lakers were iced. Got 7 rainbows a week ago today that was very fun!!

Matts, I'm assuing "Blue" means Bluewater? I hit Caribou this afternoon and iced 2 and missed 2 others. The first one was about 3-4 lbs and the other was 1.5-2 lbs. No monsters by any means, but still fun. I was on the cell talking to my brother, when the bigger one darn near ripped the rod out of my hand. I set the phone down and was giving my brother the play by play while I fought the fish. Between the fish, phone, and my dog jumping around in the house it was a circus! LOL

Both fish caught on the biggest sized Slender spoon w/ a piece of shiner.

Brian

Brian,

Yes referring to bluewater. I did fish Big trout this weekend, had a couple of hits, no luck hooking them though. Very good structure, will go back and try again.

Has anyone gave Larson Lake a shot this year? I have never been there and I know there are trout in there but not sure what kinds. Where is it located? Any hot spots on the lake? Any info is appreciated!

Kingkobbla

I always make a laker trip every march...last year I went to gunflint, this year I'm planning on burntside...are any of these grand rapids trout lakes worth a march trip or would I be better off sticking with grand marais/ely area lakes?

king-Larson has splake in it. its a fairly deep lake and drops off quickly. if i remember right, there are a couple of mid-lake humps, but i don't know if i would call them hot spots. i haven't been there in a year or so.

jb-i used to fish the canisteo pit by coleraine. now, too many hours between fish. plus, sometimes the ice isn't the safest. nowadays i like snowbank. ive always wanted to try burntside but never have.

JB,

Not to chase you away from the G.R. area, but I think you'd be WAY better off up around the Ely area, numbers wise and size wise as well.

Brian

My trip this year is already locked solid, just trying to explore my options. But yeah, it is VERY hard to pry me away from grand marais...love it up there!!!

• 1 month later...

Its probably time to bring this topic back to life, seein its trout or panfish now. Has anyone been on any local waters for trouts? Been on pokie afew times on deep water humps and such, but no trout, but have caught some big white fish, also catchin some sunnies on windego arm.

With my horrible luck panfishing last week, I'm gonna switch gears and try for some lakers before season closes. I'm planning on hitting Caribou Tuesday. I've only been out after lakers 1 and rainbows 1 this winter.

Brian

Well, Caribou kicked me in the gutz today. I got set up around noon and had a decent fish on w/ in the first 15 minutes, only to loose it at the hole. Probably a 3-4 lber. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my foul language after that fish got off! LOL With that stiff SE wind, they probably heard my in Marcell! LOL I had several other "chasers" but couldn't get them to bite. I'm not sure if they were little ones or not, but no other action. I ended up leaving @ 3:30 as I had to head to work. Probably hit it again next week, hope it's warmer then!

Brian

I was out on Big Trout on Sunday. There has been little travel on the lake and for good reason. The lake had a deep snow pack with drifts. Travel was slow and rough on the wheeler. The landing has heaved up and traveling out on a truck would be diffcult. The fishing was slow and frustrating.

bmc- thinkin about tryin caribou this weekend and was wonderin how deep of water you fish? The last time i fished was a couple years ago and we fished around the humps towards the south end out from the landing. Have pulled a couple lakers out of that area in the past.

I usually target 40-60 fow. Perch are the main forage in Caribou, so if you see the bottom of your graph flickering w/ fish on the bottom, that's perch and there should be lakers close by. I think some of the chasers a person sees on the graph are little lakers, as I've caught several of them (on bluegill stuff) after getting frustrated by them not hitting. Usually they're about 8-10" long and I'm assuming one's the DNR stocks. I'm not sure if they reproduce naturally in there or not.

Brian

Hi there, i have been reading on this website for a while now and decided that i would start up. I am wondering how much ice is out on Caribou...I might go try it this weekend. Is there 3in like on Pit or is there enough for a truck to go on? I wouldn't drive on but just to see how safe it is because i have never fished out there before.

bmc-thanks for the reply and info-much appreceiated. Northernsportman-Wecome to the site. I have'nt been there this year but in the past there was no place to get on with a vehicle, gate across access road, had to walk, or use wheeler or sled. People used to park across the hwy in a lot and walk out also but i don't know if that lot is private or what . Bmc can probably answer that one for you. Good Luck.

Thank you hookset. I wouldn't be driving out there with a vechicle, probably be walking. Thanks for the info though,like i said, i have no background on the lake and hardly any on lakers either! So any techniques on catching them would also be nice!! I am just starting to go out trout fishing and would love to hook into one!

If you can park in the lot along 38 would probably be the easiest to walk out from. If people have been going out from there ,you will see where they have been fishin.I take a veriety of hooks with , from big spoons ,bucktails, jiggin raps, tube jiggs, cleo's, etc to smaller jiggin spoons like pimples, buckshots, walleye size stuff. Alot of times i will put out a tipup with a shiner, small sucker or a big chub about half way to bottom. I always use my locator when jiggin cause sometime trouts will chase you up and down a few times. Hope this helps alittle.

People access the lake from the north side, by parking in the lot on the NW side of the lake. I've also parked on Co. Rd 48 and walked down to the public access too. You can use 2 lines on Caribou and you can use live bait as well. I have my best luck with thinner flutter type spoons out there with a piece of minnow on it. As hookset 31 said a graph or vexilar is a major help as the lakers like to play "cat and mouse" sometimes. It amazes me how fast they can move up and down in the water column.

Brian