• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sarah Saturday-The recap

One phone call is all it took. We'll talk about that later.

The lake Sarah bite is over for the winter. The lake is dead. The fish that are left arn't healthy. Boy oh boy do we have some stuff to talk about!!!!

Ups and downs, give and take, good and bad, ying and yang........The event started out on an up and down. I went to the lake Friday mid-day to start setting up and do a little pre-fishing. Low and behold 1lkstage beat me to it. We met on the ice for a little chit chat and he helped me set up my perm house. In the middle of that action Reelemin showed up with her awesome ice fishing cruiser. While I held down the fort (see goof off) those 2 hit the lake and hit it hard. The end result was not so good. Hopefully this was not a sign of things to come.

Saturday morning!!!! Folks started to show up around 7-ish. We did the chit chat and off they went. Steady all morning fellow FM'ers arrived. What a turnout!!! The fishing in the morning was tough to say the least. Some small perch were caught and that was it. I'm thinking,"Oh my, is this going to be a bad day?" No, it's not a bad day. Sarah Saturday is all about meeting friends, having a good time, and family.

hangingwithdad.jpg

Lunch time!!!!!!!! I say a BIG FM SHOUTOUT goes to Mrs. boilerguy. Talk about good hot chow on a cold day.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm chil!!! Boilerguys 3rd bowl!!!!

boilerguychows.jpg

While we were eating and coming up with a game plan, my cell phone rang. Some guys on the other side of the lake had found a few fish. See sentence #1 above. Tell me where you can have 30 different people spread all over a lake, and they tell each other where a bite is on??? FM get togethers, that's where. So, the migration/pilgrimage/mass exodus of people begins. To the other side of the lake we go. We drilled about a zillion holes and started fishing, it didn't take long. Just look at these beauties.

nicecatch.jpg

Best part, it's not over yet.

Terryt with some dandies

terrytsperch.jpg

Reelemin with perch and look at that crappie!!!

tammy.jpg

Team Otter with some dandy perch

jamisonscatch.jpg

muc 33 with a nice Lake Sarah perch

chadisproud.jpg

SkeeterB'S nice 20 inch eye

skeeters20inchwalleye.jpg

Lake Sarah is a prairie pothole. No structure, no ledges, no drop offs.......it's a soup bowl with a sand/grave/mud bottom. It's not dead, the bite is ON, and the fish are some of the healthiest around. Finding fish is only half the equation. The other half is catching them. Drill, drill, and drill. Move, move, and move some more. Once on fish, find out what they like. Today we found out they wanted small jigs tipped with waxies. If you are willing to brave the cold and wind the reward can be great.

Todays big fish winner!!! Duane with a 23" eye. His first through the ice walleye. Congrats big winner!!!!

duanes23inchwalleye.jpg

Big thanks go out to all who attended. Some of you braved a 3 hour drive!!!!! I don't know about anyone else, but I know where I'll be tomorrow. Lake Sarah.

See you next year.

Hey Boilerguy and Mrs. Boilerguy.... Thanks so much for the great organization!!!!! What a blast, Kennedy and I had a BLAST... it was a great break from a very long and stressful week for us. It was great to finally put some faces to FM usernames. Kennedy was truly amazed when the first school of 30 perch showed up under our house, who cares that they were only 4 inchers. But Low and behold the journey began and we drilled more and more and finally had to take a break.... CHILI is NUMMY, and Kennedy paid for it on the ride home as a matter of fact she still is. It was delicious, thanks to everyone for the great day. I think we should do it again Eric, you know where, let me assist you in the journey, if you want!!!!!! Thanks to those of you who are not from SW MN for coming and seeing what we have to offer for great fishing, we often get overlooked for the reasons boilerguy pointed out. We have no structure, but we do have great fishing!!!!!!

We really need to send Kennedy a sympathy card. grin.gif

Notice the sign on my fish house door?? "Danger explosive gasses inside." Thank you CC for not spending too much time inside. grin.gif

That was awesome!!! Thanks so much for the great food Mrs. Boilerguy. Trouble28 is lucky we got back when we did,( the chili) if you catch my drift. To all the people of the SW fm forums, your welcome for finding the fish. LOL. And yes, the rookie ended up with the big fish of the day. Thank you Eric for the structure on a string. Saved me a good chunk of change right there. I put the fish on the scale and tape when I got home, just a hair over 23 in. and a whopping 5 lbs. Thanks so much for the great time guys. And a big thank you to trouble28 for showing me some pointers and not getting mad at me for out fishing you today. Sorry, just had to glote a little.

There is a little matter of a certain wager. (Signed greenbacks) LOL Just let me know everyones email address and i will email all of you my address. I'll be looking for the envelopes within the next week or so. grin.gif Thanks again for the great time.

I'll let you know what was in her stomach when i can get off my rearend tonight and clean her. See you all next time.

Duane

Hey boilerguy, is there anyway you can put that picture in my avatar? Not sure how to do it. If not, thanks anyway for the great time.

Duane

Shoot me an e-mail. My address is in my profile. I'll e-mail you the couple of picture I took. Then, you will have to to the photo forum. They have real good instructions on what to do from there.

Make sure you send my your address when you e-mail me. I have a dollar bill for you.

Don't worry about the dollar bill. All of you can get me next time. As for what was in her stomach. Absolutely nothing food wise. She was however full of eggs. Makes me kinda feel bad, but it was my first ever ice eye. What do you? Just enjoy the meal, thats what i'm going to do. Thanks again for everything.

Duane

\:D AWESOME day - Boiler - Duo. \:D

Heck of an event Eric. great job, great lake, GREAT PERCH !!!

I will be back \:o

Thanks sumo much Mr and Ms Boilerguy. grin.gif

cool.gif

I wish I could've gotten there earlier to meet more people out on the ice. By the time I got there (10:30 - 11) I felt I should just set up and get to it. I wish I would've stayed longer and found a few of those perch from the pics. A few crappies would've been nice also.

I will still walk away with a few good memories however. A slow day of fishing with me only pulling in one perch. TONS and TONS down the hole, at one time I think there were more than 50 looking at my bait. I will also remember sitting there listening to a Gopher Mens basketball win on my tiny little hand-held radio. Just happy the thing picked up WCCO long enough to hear them comeback from 16 down!

Hope to do it again next year. With a few more fish on the ice! grin.gif

Sounds like you guys had a good time and caught some fish too. A friend of mine fished out of my house on Shetek yesterday and didn't get a bite! Would have liked to gotten down there but was on call for work. Maybe catch up with a few of you later this season.

Beautiful recap Eric. Thanks again.

We'll be back. grin.gif

Any other lakes you need us to scout? whistle.gif

Thank for the hospitality Eric. You and the misses did a great job! Nice to meet a great bunch of people.

Lonnie

I had an awesome time and would love to come out and try again. I also wanted to give a shout out to our sponsor Rick Bait!! They hooked us up with the minnow on saturday. It was too bad you couldn't make it out to the lake, but it was nice meeting you and can't wait to run into you again.

Sounds like you all had a great time and some great food mixed in with some fishing grin.gif I hope that next year that me and the wife can take a road trip and give it a try for those southern wally's .

That would be awesome. The southern wallys are just as nice as the up nort walldos.

Hey Boilerguy - or anyone else in the know - couple questions - I'm thinking of heading over that way for a couple of days to sample that Sarah eye bite - any trhouble with driving out on Sarah with full size trucks? Anywhere I need to steer clear of?

And, places to stay - I'm sure Marshall has plenty of hotel/motel....anyting closer to Sarah and Shetek that I should check out????

oh, and any thoughts on where to start and presentations much appreciated as well....

Thanks for the help....

Smallie

Thanks again to everyone who came out on Saturday. It was fun to meet people and visit with them. I didn't get out of the fish house much (which is how I tend to fish - I hate being cold) but plenty of people stopped by to show me their catch or just chat for a bit. Thanks to Kennedy for keeping me company in the afternoon. We not have been catching any fish, but we played some rousing games of "Go, Fish" because it seemed appropriate.

We've been driving on the lake. STAY AWAY FROM THE AIRATOR!!!

There are hotels in Tracy, Marshall, and Slayton. Tracy is probably the closeest.

We had our best luck on the mid-east side of the lake a tad north of a point that sticks out. Not saying they are still there, but that's where we did well. Ya have to drill and drill to find them.

Nice job FM'ers!! I wish i would have been out there... I can't say i have had the same luck out there... So just wondering if any of you guys could give me some info.. Me and my buddy are going out there tomorrow and were wondering where you guys were catching them or where to try! Thanks

Boilerguy, thanks for you e-mail, I believe I figured it out, it took me quite awhile but I got it. I know just enough computer skills to be dangerous!

There ya go!!!

Nice lookin walleye. The dude behind the camera must have mad picture takin skills. grin.gif

Hey, since I can't seem to catch a fish, I might as well take pictures and drive.

Hello All...Wish I would have joined this site a few weeks sooner so I coulda met up with you guys on sarah. I live just a few miles away, so I'm on either sarah or shetek quite often. Sarah gave up a few jumbo pearch this morning...seemed to like a lot of jigging action today. Anyone been fishing East Twin by Florence lately?