• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rice

Kickin Bass

Well they told me that rice was dead, should have listened to them. There is a small town on the midlake hump, and a few scattered houses in the NW bay. 1 house on the hole at midlake. I accessed from the sw bay and headed out to the point off of cyrilla beach. Was along the inside turn on the s of the point. Got a HUGE 5 inch perch. Pulled my bobber down and everything. That was it from 2pm until 11pm. Marked one fish that came up fast looked and then swam away faster. The water was murky. I was in 17 ft of water. I was using a fathead on a teardrop for my deadstick and a rattlin spoon(orange). Should I move deeper towards the single house on the hole? Or should I move closer to the small town over the hump? Or yet should I move to about 25 ft where the deep flats rise quickly into the shallow bay?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm planning on heading out there this afternoon. I'll shoot out a report when I get back. Couldn't swing an early morning trip today. Hopefully I can pin down a bite when I get out there as I haven't fished Rice yet this ice season.

Well it was a busy trip. Lots of action but fish ran small and I wasn't able to pin down a pattern for the larger slabs. I easily caught 100 crappies from 5-10" and a couple of 15" eyes. I found fish suspended in 20-35 fow. Most of the fish were caught on Little Atom nuggies on Optic Stealth jigs. A few were caught on crappie minnows. Bite really slowed down once it got dark.

Ice thickness varied a lot and I'd advise foot, snowmobile or ATV travel for a bit yet. There were a few small trucks out but not many and most stayed in the NW bay.

Good Luck!

I am leaving to go out in about half an hour is anyone else going out today? stop by and say hi if you see my red polaris and green otter

Im thinking about going to rice for the first time this week, any tips? How thick is the ice?

the crappies are all around 7 inches the ice is around a foot drive at your own risk I used snowmobile

is there alot of people that fish Rice during the winter. I know its a awesome bass lake, but just wondering on the winter time?

there are not many wheelhouses out there at all, it was the first time I have fished it on ice.

well I wasn't impressed, but I have not been impressed since I left the cities. Can't believe I said that, but it is true. I had much better luck on metro lakes. I will keep looking though. My interest sparked the first time I fished. We caught a ton on Bald Eagle in White Bear Lake. But I have caught very little up here. Going out tomorrow and Tuesday. Rice and koronis which is better. I know it was a hike to midlake on Rice with nothing to show for it. Thinking about hitting the 3rd Island on Koronis (based on DNR map). Looks like an easier hike and better structure. Does anyone know what the bottom is like in certain areas of each lake. I would assume that Koronis is rockier, but they could be alike.

Koronis has a lot of sand. There are some rocky spots as there are on Rice as well. Thw walleye bite is likely better on Koronis and there are several good spots around the area you paln on targeting.

I had decent luck on one of the spots I emailed you about tonight KB . Did a lot sorting but had 8 that I caught between 9 1/2 and 11" with one big fat 14"er to boot. Tossed back many of those little 7-8" as well. All released and caught on plastics again. Very tough bite though with the need to finesse every fish to bite. Only had 4 bites on the bobber rig all night.

Originally Posted By: frogtosser
the crappies are all around 7 inches the ice is around a foot drive at your own risk I used snowmobile

Man I caught a lot of those little buggers. But I a did find some bigger ones by moving around from spot to spot. My wife called me 5 times and I was in the middle of a move every time she called. crazy.gif

Hi I have fished rice lake a lot during the summer and have had good walleye luck trolling the S side of the SW bay. I am heading out to Rice this weekend and might stop over at koronis but i was wondering if there have been many house in the SW bay? Also I was never able to find the crappies this summer where have you been catching them this winter? Any info to make this trip productive will be grately appriciated.

looks like this lake is a popular place for anglers in the wintertime. I might have to keep this in mind if im looking for a new hole to get a line wet. Thanks for the information

Hey 1Buchholz1,

Are you a part of the the Haider family clan? Look at my pic and you'll know who I am....or an amazing coincidence!

If not, the area of Rice you fish is right in front of a whole Buchholz family all summer! SW bay of Rice!

Chris

Jason,

My family's cabin is on Rice, fun large and smallie bass action, we'll have to hit it and then grill out on the deck! Honestly don't do the ice much, but come open water it's a total mixed bag, fun stuff.

Your drop shot, jig worm, and crank skills could help me a ton!

Chris

Hey Chris,

Its Andrew I think we might be heading out there some time this weekend so I dont what you have planned but maybe you might want to join us.