• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fising in Cabo in March

rerhart1966

Hi, I am new to this post. My dad (MAITOI/Arnie) used to be a registered at FishingMinnesota but passed away in April of 2006 at 66 years old....He had many good fishing trips and I remember him talking about Fishing Minnesota as a place to find fishing information for anywhere. In fact we were planning to go to Alaska the summer of 2006 but had to cancel and I switched my plane ticket to go to Cabo with my wife in March...

I am going to Cabo San Lucas the first week of March, 2007. I never had a chance to go on a fishing charter in Mexico with my dad, but would like to. Are there any recommended fishing charters that both my wife and I would like in Cabo?

Thanks everyone...

Welcome to the forum rerhart, sorry it's in this context:( I met your dad on here, and fished with him in Cabo on what I assume was his last trip there. It was in 2005 (i think?) and he caught a marlin that day if I'm remembering right. I've been down there a lot so I could be off on details, but I certainly remember Arnie, great guy, we talked about fishing different places, including Alaska. He seemed to be one of those guys who knew what he wanted to do with his retirement. I'm glad he got at least some of his plans realized before he passed. Cabo is a great fishing destination, I know some charters who will treat you right. My fav at the moment is an outfit named Redrum, they have a young american couple running the show and are doing very well. I think your dad and I fished with Pisces, another good reputable charter. Another to check out is Marlin masters; a newer outfit, newer boats, but a little pricer. Any more questions, just ask, and again I'm so sorry to hear about you dad, I'm sure he's missed by many. Terry

Welcome rerhart. How about putting up a question like that and getting that kind of response? Good job traveler.

I have fished Mexico, though not Cabo. You will have a great time. Marlin is king in this part of the world. You should definatly target them, but don't pass on the inshore fishing as well. It is my understanding that there is some really good fishing opportunities right from shore. Roosterfish I know is a big deal in the Cabo area. Get online and check out all your choices and have a great time!

I was in Cabo in December and went out with Marlin Masters (check out their website)and I would definitely use them again. All the equipment is top notch. I have used some charters that the hotels set you up with and have had bad experiences. So, spend the extra money and do it right. Our boat of 5 had a slow day, we caught and released 12 marlin and 2 mahi mahi. Some days they catch 40. We took the mahi mahi to a restaurant that evening and they cooked them up for us. \:\)

Keystone; which MM boat did you fish? I fished the 36 Yellowfin with trip 225's one day in October, what a ride! Not the most practical boat for Cabo waters, especially with the bite being up the pacific side, but way cool nontheless. A couple things to mention; I always recommend dealing directly with the charter company yourself. As you said, often the boats the hotels will line you up with can be sketchy. On the other hand, there are lots of good, less expensive boats out there. Best to get good recommendations and do some research. I've done the majority of my fishing solo, which caused me to look for reasonably priced outfits, and they do exist. As for marlin numbers, 40 marlin in a day used to be unheard of, and a day like you had with numbers in the teens was almost unheard of. This year, and to a point the last couple of years, there has been on outstanding Nov-Dec marlin bite, especially on the finger bank, which is where I expect you were in December. This year is just off the charts! Used to be any day you caught a marlin was a good day, and most places, most times, thats still the case. Cabo will settle down, and we'll get back to normal:) I've been fishing there for about 10 years now, and my best 2 days ever were 5 and 6 marlin release days, which I thought I'd never beat. Now....it's insane to hear someone refer to an 11 fish day as a "slow" day:) But lately, it is...

IMG_1086.jpg

Does this look familar Traveler? grin.gif

I would highly reccomend Marlin Masters as well, I've been out with 4 different operations down there and this was by far my best outing. Traveler knows his stuff down there so take his suggestions to heart.

Theres the ride Chef! Are you getting back down this winter?? The bite is just sick:) Wish I could go soon, but I have 3 trips in the works for later in the year; 2, in May and Dec., to be an IGFA observer for the WCBRT; and one in October with a bunch off another fishing website. That place has me bad...:)

Traveler, I wish I was. Not till next year, our timeshare is bi-annual so every other year for us. With your schedule it sounds like we need to build units a little faster to save you some money! ;\)

Hi Traveler, and everyone. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I've never fished in Mexico before, this sounds fun. My first search on this site for Cabo fishing resulted in a forum article from my dad...I almost lost it...He's still talking to me! A few questions I would have asked my dad:

1. Do you all recommend I contact one of the charters now via email, or wait till I get there?

2. Is the fishing in Cabo good the first week of March?

3. Would you recommend I share or just go out alone with my wife (she's actually is excited about it).

4. Do you usually get the whole package (food, drink, etc.) or do you bring your own stuff?

5. Anything else you recommend for first-timers on a Mexico fishing charter? Anything to wear? Bring along? whole day/half day? ...etc...

We'll be staying at the Pueblo Bonito Rose also, if that means anything.

Just a note about my dad Arnie/MAITOI...He passed away last April, he was retired about four years and did a lot of fishing in Canada, Alaska, Mexico, Hawaii...We all miss him terribly. He was in better shape than I am, he was 66 and I am 41....heart attack, in the shower...paramedics tried for about 30 minutes, but no luck....most likely due to the smoking for many years....he smoked about a pack a day since he was a teenager, then decided to quit smoking in March 2007....so, if you're a smoker out there, and you are planning on quitting, please do it gradually, not cold turkey. He was a great man and my hero...

Good you're following in his footsteps...:)

1. Now. The best ones book early, especially during peak periods.

2.Not the best time really. But cabo is one of the few spots with at least "good" year round action for striped marlin.

3.Suck it up and pay for the whole boat. If you do a share and the bite is slow, you might only get 1 or 2 shots all day. Lose the coin flip for 1st fish (I have, 3 times) and you could well be out of luck. better to spend the $$ to give yourself the best odds.

4. It's a little cheaper to do it yourself. Plenty of places to get food/drink. It's nice to bring a medium cooler with wheels as luggage, and if you want to bring home some fish you're all set.

5. Most Cabo charters are all day. Sometimes the bite is far from port. Sleeves/pants from Dec thru March. sunscreen anytime, and a hat. No bug dope needed. Nice to have your own small knife, pliers, leatherman. Show up excited to fish, and try to stay positive as the day goes on. The crew feeds offf you enthusiasm (hopefully). Tip well, if they earn it. (10-15%, to captain). I stayed at the PB Rose in Oct of 2006, nice, beachfront, your wife will love it. 15 minute walk to the boat. That should do it. I quit smoking 13 years ago, at age 36. I hope it was soon enough...

We fished out of Marlin Master III, 35' Bertram. We went up the coast about a 3 hour ride. We saw alot of marlin, along with dolphins. Durance took us down and showed us his new boat the " Beach Buzz". He didn'y have all the paper work done yet to take customers out yet , but offered us a ride. Bad deal was we were leaving the next day and didn't have time to take him up on the offer. We will certainly go out with Marlin Masters again next year.

I am going to be in Cabo the last week of February. We have comitted to one day of Marlin fishing. However, we also want to go out and do some light tackle fishing one day as well. Does anyone have any input on the light tackle side? Who to use, etc? Deep sea is fun but I also enjoy catching the smaller fish.

Again, I wave not personally fished Cabo, but have friends who do. I know there are many species you can catch right from shore. Maybe rent an ATV for a day and explore as much coast as you can with your own rod.

Anyone else done this?

It's funny, I've been to Cabo many times over the past 8 years, and read/participate on a couple baja orientated forums, and I can't really tell you much. I do hear reference to inshore, like Donbo says, but I just haven't seen it. And it's a small town. I do know the pacific shore is usually heavy surf, and I would think it would be pretty challenging without true surf fishing gear. Much of the other beach, up the sea of Cortez, is built up with resorts, somewhat limiting access. I know theres more inshore/small boat (panga) fishing done up the cortez side, La Playita, San Jose, East Cape. But those are a ways away, not in Cabo san Lucas. Sometimes when people say Cabo, they mean the whole area, not the specific town of CSL, maybe theres some confusion there, I don't know. For sure, prime time for most inshore species would be mid-summer, so I'm not sure about March. They catch a lot of Sierra mackeral in the winter i think, but they're pretty small, 2-3 lbs. and still they catch them from boats. If anyone else has any other info on inshore, I'd like to hear it. Donbo, anyone you can call/check in with for specifics/

Lots of good surf fishing to be had, I purchased a break down surf rod from cabela's and take it with me each time I go down. Early morning is generally best. We stay at Hacienda del Mar (look it up, it's on the Sea of Cortez side) and each morning the shoreline is loaded with Panga's within casting distance from shore. A couple shops to hit in town to pick up the right tackle, Minerva's being one of them then another "less expensive" shop right behind it. Name slips me at the moment. I would check in either of those shops when you first hit town to get a little more information on Surf fishing and walk-in public areas.

Chef, was the other shop "Jensens", right next to the Mar De Cortez? I know he used to do guided surffishing trips, but gave that up. He might still rent equipment. How far up the corridor were you at the Hacienda ?(I don't know all those corridor resorts) You had a car I'm thinking? I've still never rented a car as all my fishing is from the cabo marina, so like I said, the panga/shore thing up that way is new to me. Lastly, what did you catch?

Originally Posted By: traveler
If anyone else has any other info on inshore, I'd like to hear it. Donbo, anyone you can call/check in with for specifics/

My buddy lives in Seattle, I sent him an email. I'll let you know what he says. I know he is going down there this winter just for shore fishing. I believe he will be up the coast on the Cortez side.

Jensens! Thats it! Always have a car when we go to cabo, as the resort is roughly 11 miles up from CSL. About 2 miles before you hit lovers beach.

All I have managed have been a few Sierra's my first year down there I neglected leaders and donated a few lures. Big heavy spoons ripped back into shore just fast enough so they stay to the top. If you stop at Jensens, they have a great little phamplet with identification, and instruction on different presentations.

Yeah, I've been in Jensens shop and talked with him, nice guy, seemed to know his stuff. i'm just too darned focused on marlin when I'm down there. Once I get my big girl, maybe...

I'll be down there as well fromt Feb 24-March 2nd, It would be cool to take a charter with a few FM'ers. The resort where I have my timeshare is the closest one to the marina, but not in it. The owner is a Detroit Lakes native and owns his own boat that he does charter out named the Bad Medicine. The resort is Cabo Villas Beach Resort and the captain is a local fisherman that knows his stuff. If any of you are going to be there at that time let's try to charter a boat together one day.

Small world; i know Chris, and have fished with him on the bad Medicine. I'm an IGFA cert. observer and was on his boat in May, then saw him again during the december event. It's a nice, comfortable mexican boat (as opposed to some of the fancy tournament rigged sportfishers ran by Americans). They had the awards banquet right down on the sand in front of Cabo Villas in May, very cool. Wish I was headed down in your time frame, I'm always looking for someone to hook up with. Maybe next time...good luck to ya!

I have been fishing in cabo. one of my favorite places to visit. I have used different charters each time. I actually used minervas. a very good charter. you can get boats loaded with food and drink if you wanted. I too recommend that you do not share a charter with someone you do not know. take your wife even if she doesn't fish she will love the views and the wildlife she will see. I would suggest taking the largest boat you can afford. it will be more comfortable for you and less motion. if you haven't been on the ocean before I recommend taking a bigger boat and some dramimine. you don't want to take the chance on being sea sick and not enjoying your trip.

also if you play golf they have some of the best golf courses in the world there. cabo del sol ocean course is on of the most beautiful courses I have ever played. and I have played alot(im a golf professional)

also my wife and I always rent a house in the pedregal community. some of the greatest sunsets and sunrises(depening on whichever side of the hills you stay on)you will ever see.

I recommend renting a car. if you stay in the corridor it is about a twenty minute drive csl.

maybe you will be lucky like we were and catch a live concert from sammy hagar. although we go in late september and early october. his birthday is in early october and he throws a big bash. but boy was it fun. I think(had a lot of pacificos.

anyway sounds like a fun trip. I can't wait to get back down there.

OK; good point about the boat size and knowing whether the folks in your party are prone to motion sickness. On the other hand, if you are pretty sure you're all good in that regard (I've never had a problem, thankfully) I've done almost all my fishing on 28 ft boats, which are the small end of the cruisers, but also the most affordable. Either way, it's something to look into as best you can before you go. OK; I've fished october a few times, mostly looking for a bigger blue (no, not yet), and have walked by the line of folks sleeping in the street the night before sammys birthday bash:) I'm not into that anymore, at least not when I'm in marlin mode, but I'm sure it's a blast!

• 4 weeks later...