Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
larryz

generators

9 posts in this topic

I bought a new Honda 2000i this fall and used it for the first time this week. It did the job that I bought it for but would quit after running for a period of time. This happened several times before I figured out that I could keep it running by simply loosening the fuel cap. I thought then that I had a faulty fuel cap. But I saw on another website someone saw the need for a second cap because of freezing up issues. Has anyone else had this problem?

There should be a a little lever on the fuel cap that needs to be open (a vent).

With the lever in the on position, after running for some time maybe 15 minutes or so, it would quit. After having this happen three or four times I discovered that if I unscrewed the cap it would continue running. I continued using it with the cap unscrewed the remainder of the time up there.

I'm sure you know this. Operating in that manner it is possible to start a fire. But hell, I guess if the Honda is sitting out in the cold, away from the house, then all that would be destroyed would be the gen-set.

I think we had better all check arouond and come up with a better fix than operating with the cap off.

I agree with all that you say. I am looking for suggestions. Has anyone else ever experienced what I have? Is it probable that the cap could freeze up? Or is it more likely that I have a defective cap? I talked to a Honda dealer and they said I needed the cap to send in and the serial number. Soooo! What do I then do while I wait for Honda to make a decision? I guess I buy another fuel cap.

Thanks

I have a new EU1000i and have used it several times on the ice this winter with no problems. I'm assuming that your gas cap and mine are the same.

Why not try putting it on your vaccume hose (house vac) the way it goes on the tank,vac to inside of cap turn the vac on and open & close the vent lever,see if that clears it??

Thanks for the suggestion!! I will try that and see what happens.

Why not stop screwing around and get a new gas cap from the Yamaha dealer? Should be in warranty, shouldn't it?