Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lazy Mike

Wolf Lake?

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever ice fished Wolf Lake SE of Wolf Bay? Can you access this with a snowmobile in the winter? According to the DNR the lake contains decent number of small walleyes? I am just looking for a good day trip adventure next time up to Vermilion. Thanks, Mike

Wolf is full of small walleyes. There is a trail that goes from the south shore of Wolf Bay and goes into the Northwest corner of Wolf.

WORDS OF CAUTION:

These small lakes can be full of nasty slush in years like this. And typically, there isn't that much traffic so if you get yourself into a pickle, you may be there for awhile. If I was going in there, I would proceed with extreme caution or go in there hot and don't stop until you can verify conditions. Just got back from helping someone get a machine out of a slush hole.

Thanks shamrock, I'll heed your warning on the slush conditions. I found myself in some nasty slush while on Susan heading in from Black Lake. I quite possible ruined my wife's sense of adventure on that ride.

It took me many years to get somewhat comfortable with slush. I know my daughter went out to take a picture of a sun set and got into it, she made it out but scared the bejeses out of her. Newer machines and a few studs make it pretty manageable but if you get stuck, it ain't fun.

Lazy Mike if you make it out there please let us know how it went. Is the access easy to locate from vermilion? I have always wanted to get out there but never had the time but I am going to try to get out there befor the end of the season.