Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmac3217

Lake Julia

6 posts in this topic

I've heard the Perch are biting out on Julia. Anyone having any luck with the Northerns, Walleyes, or anything else? I'm heading up at the end of the month -- just curious what we might expect.

Thanks!

The perch on Julia are VERY wormy, and they're not biting like they were... They can still be had, along with some walleyes, and some slimers, but the bite has definitely slowed down.

Julia doesn't get a ton of pressure because most people don't keep fish out of the lake. I know I don't anymore, and probably won't ever again...

Hey matt why is it that you don't keep fish out of it anymore, just wondering because I have in the past?

I'm curious too??? My brother-in-law lives on the lake, so that's where we do our fishing in the Bemidji area...

They/we have had pretty good luck with Northerns last spring & early summer, and then Walleyes late summer and early fall. I do remember the Perch being wormy last summer now that you say that.

Any info on why you don't keep the fish from Julia would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've kept perch quite a few times out there, hoping for good luck, and they're always wormy as heck. I quit keeping them. I got into some nice 'gills out there one day, kept 8-10, wormy. I had never seen 'gills wormy like that, green sunfish and pumpkinseeds yes, but not 'gills. I don't keep them out there anymore. Caught crappies that were mushy as heck. I've caught walleyes full of neascus, the tiny black dots, so full of it they felt like sandpaper. I think I have bad luck out there, so I won't keep anything from there again!

Walleyes and pike are about the best to eat from the lake in my opinion, but they don't taste as good as fish from other lakes. They taste muddy at times, and just not great overall. I have kept my fair share out there, and have had some good fish fry's with Julia walleyes, but I just quit due to bad luck and sick of picking out worms and looking at parasites.

I know others who feel the same, but I also know people who eat fish from Julia a lot and never complain.

It's a great place to get picture fish at times though! Nice perch, nice 'eyes, and even some good pannies at times. It's a fun little lake.

Thanks for the info Matt!