Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmac3217

Lake Julia

6 posts in this topic

I've heard the Perch are biting out on Julia. Anyone having any luck with the Northerns, Walleyes, or anything else? I'm heading up at the end of the month -- just curious what we might expect.

Thanks!

The perch on Julia are VERY wormy, and they're not biting like they were... They can still be had, along with some walleyes, and some slimers, but the bite has definitely slowed down.

Julia doesn't get a ton of pressure because most people don't keep fish out of the lake. I know I don't anymore, and probably won't ever again...

Hey matt why is it that you don't keep fish out of it anymore, just wondering because I have in the past?

I'm curious too??? My brother-in-law lives on the lake, so that's where we do our fishing in the Bemidji area...

They/we have had pretty good luck with Northerns last spring & early summer, and then Walleyes late summer and early fall. I do remember the Perch being wormy last summer now that you say that.

Any info on why you don't keep the fish from Julia would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've kept perch quite a few times out there, hoping for good luck, and they're always wormy as heck. I quit keeping them. I got into some nice 'gills out there one day, kept 8-10, wormy. I had never seen 'gills wormy like that, green sunfish and pumpkinseeds yes, but not 'gills. I don't keep them out there anymore. Caught crappies that were mushy as heck. I've caught walleyes full of neascus, the tiny black dots, so full of it they felt like sandpaper. I think I have bad luck out there, so I won't keep anything from there again!

Walleyes and pike are about the best to eat from the lake in my opinion, but they don't taste as good as fish from other lakes. They taste muddy at times, and just not great overall. I have kept my fair share out there, and have had some good fish fry's with Julia walleyes, but I just quit due to bad luck and sick of picking out worms and looking at parasites.

I know others who feel the same, but I also know people who eat fish from Julia a lot and never complain.

It's a great place to get picture fish at times though! Nice perch, nice 'eyes, and even some good pannies at times. It's a fun little lake.

Thanks for the info Matt!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• busse3775
      Dad and I fished this past Saturday and Sunday with portables and saying the fishing was slow would be an understatement. Between the 2 days we hit the mud flats pretty hard and stayed very mobile. Didn't even set up a house during the day because it was so nice out. We fished the mudflats from East Flat down to Blue Jug, over to 8 Mile and back up to Matton Flat. The day bite was very tough, we would mark fish but they wouldn't want much to do with it. We picked up 3 eyes Saturday morning with the biggest being 17" then picked up only 3 more during the day. They only seemed to hit our dead sticks with a shiner on it. We used mainly VMC gold perch tingler spoons and flutter spoons without much luck jigging. On Saturday night we had a sleeper rented from Twin Pines Resort and our house was in 20'. We had 6 bites throughout the night with a bigger fish breaking off and a couple smaller ones being caught. We really had to give them a lot of time to inhale the shiner. On Sunday we went back out to the Mud Flats with little confidence and the fishing was pretty slow again. Didn't hear many good reports from this weekend, not sure if it was the warm weather along with the pressure system or what.
    • busse3775
      I think your best bet would be the narrows on Pelican. That can be pretty good crappie and walleye area. I usually fish it a couple times earlier in the season. Otherwise closer to Battle Lake you could give South Turtle or East and West Lost a try.
    • Chill62
      I thought Clitherall was pretty good but never fished panfish down there.  I fish mainly the Perham/DL area.   Panfish have been very skitish as of lately.  We have been using mainly 4mm and 5 mm jigs for crappies but the panfish are wanting 3 mm jigs.  Best luck has been with a horizontal shapped jig tipped with 2-3 wax worms (depending on hook and wax worm size) very lightly jigged.  Most of the action has been once they appear is to reel up above them 5-8 feet then slowly drop down stopping 1-2 feet above them and twitching the jig LIGHTLY.  Anything with a "GLOW" has been killer for paints.  The lakes I've been fishing have almost a foot of snow and the water was merky prior to freeze up so even though the sun is up I'm still hitting the jigs with the UV Light and the fish are instantly reacting.  I've been targetting deeper holes and finding them in that 20-30' mark but I've heard some reports that they have started coming back up into the shallows and hitting the green weeds again.  Crappies right away this year were liking the 5 mm jigs tipped with a wax worm and soft plastic suspended but they have started preferring smaller jigs also.  Hope this helps you some.
    • monstermoose78
      Where ya going or how did you do
    • Holy carp
      Caught a few walleyes on o'dowds this weekend. Was marking a lot of fish on the bottom but very skidish and not willing to bite very well. Anyone else have any luck on o'dowds?