• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Swift Ditch or Warroad

Hey guys,

I've never been to the West Side of the lake at all...does anyone tip up fish over there? Which area do you prefer?

I'd like to try one of the two areas this March but wasn't sure which one. Any advice?

Okay.........well...let me ask this...is there a place to access the ice at swift ditch with a truck...or does one have to walk?

I'll assume you mean to be Pike fishing? March on Muskeg Bay is about as good as it gets and the BIG fish are moving into the shallows and chowing down before they run. Warroad and Swift are very close to one another and both areas put out fish.

Folks drive on at Swift though it is not a 'maintained' accesss.. Not plowed. This is a DNR small boat access site which sits on a rather large ditch that flows into the lake. Late winter and spring once the ditches start flowing this access can go downhill quick with the runoff that flows out Swift ditch. Careful if driving on here late season as many a vehicle has gone thru here over the years.

Warroad is not plowed either. Another option/area to access Muskeg Bay would be Springsteel resort and they do have a plowed road out of there access.

fiskyknut

Thanks Fisky...yes sir you are right...we are after northerns.

I would like to get to the Swift area on the south shore...looks like that might be kind of a long drive from Springsteel...but that's better than dunking the pickup!

Would you happen to know what road that small boat access sits on? We'll be up in early March so i'm hoping that ditch holds up. I was wondering if the area right out in front of Warroad where that river dumps into the lake would be better OR the Swift area. I was leaning toward the Swift area but wanted to know what master thought \:\)

Thanks again for your help!

I have fished the swift ditch area many times and have seen a few 20 to 25 lbers come out including two of my own, one that is on the wall. This all in the last 3 yrs. great spot!

Take 11 out of warroad about 3-4 miles and turn left on 12 go another 3-4 miles take left on gravel road that takes you to the lake, there will be a brown access sign on 12 where you need to turn on to the gravel, hope this helps!

Matshark...youdaman!!!!!!! \:\)

Thank you!

I'm guessing you are out in about 6ft right? How far from the shore do you have to drive before you can find 6 or so feet of water?

Doop, bout 3/4's of a mile out should see around 6fow.

You could toss a coin on the Warroad Swift ?, fish are meandering around out there and not tied to anything specific. You'd maybe find a bit less traffic out of Swift to deal with. Weekends see alot of anglers at both locales though come the late ice.

Shoot me an e when you're closer to coming and I'll give you some X's and Z's around Muskegs S shore you could maybe try.

fiskyknut

Fisky--About 2 weeks ago I lost every email address I had in my book...technology is pretty sweet when it works!

I would have actually emailed you about this but I obviously don't have it...shoot me an email because I'd definitely like to shake your hand when we are up in March and buy you a beverage of your choice \:\)

I'm excited to learn a couple new places. Looks like it's going to get mighty cold up there...don't forget your long underwear!:0

Oh....you can appreciate this...there was a UFO sighting by your fellow West Texans! It's the talk of the town down here today.:)

[email protected]

Ya man I read about that UFO stuff down there this morning on the web! 25+ years ago I worked in the Permian basin oilfields, did'nt see those UFO's but sure saw the weather phenomenons there. Hows about 11 degrees in the morning...Late that afternoon it had reached the upper 80's and the wind was kickin up near BB size dust and you could'nt see twenty feet on account of dust!

Miss that BIG Texas oil $$$$ but not so much W Texas....Odessa was about the worst place I've had to live!!!! Get over around Big Springs and it gets alot nicer!

fiskyknut at yahoo

Odessa has football and oil that's about it! lol

There some amazing areas in this state though. We may get some snow tomorrow night. Talk about disaster! Put snow on the road with the way people drive down here...I'll stay in the most inner room of the house thanks! lol

I'll shoot you an email this weekend sometime.

Thanks!