Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8-Ball

Rear defrost

10 posts in this topic

Hi All- I have an '03 Taurus and the tab on one side of the rear defrost came off. I tried Permatex which was suggested here, but that did not hold it for any amount of time at all. Can I try rubber cement? Any ideas how to proceed? Thanks, 8-Ball.

You might want to try Super glue epoxy but you will have to keep it warm for awhile in order for it to set up.

Would that hamper the defrost from doing its job? I mean,would the glue stop the tab from heating up to defrost the window?

Rubber cement won't do a lick but contact cement might. You could also try JB Weld.

Thanks for suggestions. I will give one or all of these a try, and post reults. I am not paying a Ford mechanic $100/hr. to remedy this if I can help it. Ridiculous what they are charging now days.

Tried the JB Weld- no dice. Warmed up the glass w/ a hair dryer best I could (don't have a heated garage and don't know a soul who does). Getting frustrated w/ it though..

Dude,

I would have used super glue over JB. I would clean the area the best you can and use super.

Try not to hit the grids with the razor blade.

The best thing to use is "silver bearing solder" and a soldering

iron. Make sure both surfaces are clean. You can use scotch-brite and scuff the surfaces and solder the connections. The solder can be purchased at radio shaack. Hope this helps! Make sure the glass is warm (heated garage or shop) or the window could shatter! Make sure you put a drop cloth down so you dont drip and ruin the interior.

At this point I think I would call a glass company to either get there opinion or have them repair it. I would have to guess that they run into this on occasion and would be able to give you the best advice on how to deal with it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I am throwing in the towel and calling a glass co. as suggested. I don't think I can get a good seal/connection w/out the car being in a heated garage and I don't have access to one... Hate paying to have stuff like this that seems relatively easy to do. 8-Ball.