• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's the best way to fry fish ????

For years i've been catching, cleaning, and frying fish in a electric pan. Is there a better way. Fry magic, shore lunch, or a home made mix. I never see anybody talk about what to do after you come off the lake.

What kind of fish you cooking?

I sorta cook all my fish species differently but thats just me.

For crappies & gills... I go with a cast iron frying pan, tad more than a half block of Lard melted for cooking oil, then I bread my panfish fillets with pancake batter (either Bisquick or Hungry Jack). Toss them in the pan on Hi, couple minutes on each side or until golden brown and you are good to go! I remove the fillets and set them on a paper towel for a couple minutes to drain the grease, then salt & pepper to taste and eat!

I've been eating panfish this way for 20 years and it is still probably my favorite way to cook and eat fish.

i usually only cook crappies bluegills and walleyes and i cook them all the same way. i first start out with some crackers and crush them. they have to be crackers that will crush into a powder like saltines, then mix in a LOT of lemon pepper into the cracker crumbs. roll fillets in an egg wash then roll in the cracker mix then place in a pan of hot oil, i like either canola oil or olive oil.

a lot of people who don't like fish actually like it prepared like this

Man olive oil could get spendy! I use the canola or sunflower oil. I really like Shore Lunch Cajon mixed 1/2 with straight white flower. I put the fish in a bowl with just enough milk to get it wet then into the bag. Shake rattle and roll . \:\) I lay it on a plate while the oil is hot enough to ignite a match. In goes the fish. Brown each side and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

crushed saltine cracker powder after an egg/milk wash in med to med/high heat pan of canola. You will need to season with lemon pepper, garlic or some salt and pepper after you take them out.

Any good oil will work. But makes sure it is a good oil. Some people will use Shortening like Crisco but I always found that makes for some really greasy batter. I do like Sunflower or Canola oil myself. But that is just a personal prejudice. Like I said any good brand of oil will work. You just have to experiment and see what works best for you taste buds.

I like a crispier batter so I will take crushed corn flakes and mix them in a bag with corn meal and salt and pepper. If you must add some kind of hot seasoning a little cayenne pepper NOT CHILI POWDER. I will dip the fillets in an egg/milk mixture then into flour. Then back into the egg/milk bath and toss the wet eggy fillets in a bag of the crushed corn flakes/cornmeal. They go directly into a large frying pan filled with hot oil. By hot oil I mean oil that is nearly at the heat it will take to start smoking but not quite.

Fry the fillets for 2 minutes on each side and then put the fillets on a rack over a paper plate that is covered with a paper towel or on about 4 paper towels on a plate so the oil drips off some. Replace the paper towels if they get too greasy.

Be sure to let the oil get hot again before you put the next batch of fish in the pan. If the pan is not hot enough the fillets will absorb too much oil; and all you will taste is the oil not the fish.

Mix some soft butter with a little oil, some fresh chives or garlic or other herbs in a blender or mixing bowl and a hand mixer for a truly unique herbed butter.

Stick a couple of baking potatoes in the oven and crack open a couple bottles of a good beer ( I like Castletown Brown Ale, Myself) or for those of you who are into "haute cuisine" a nice chilled Cabernet or some other French abomination that some idiot with a diploma says you have to drink with fish because some other idiot who works for the French Wine Industry (most likely) wrote about in a book the diploma idiot read.

Serve with some Warm Homemade bread. I use the frozen bread dough you thaw and then bake for 20 minutes. I also like B & M beans as a side dish for the potatoes. But really any vegetable you like will work.

Anyway, Bon Appetite!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I fry mind a coule of different ways. Either with a saltine cracker crust like other have mention or with a thin crisp beer batter. I always cut the fish into smaller pieces and fry in canola oil between 375-400 degrees.

Good eating. Check the recipe forum and do a search. My recipe and many others are contained there.

sounds like a lot of variations of the same general recipe. My usual recipe is as follows:

fill pan with 1/2 inch of vegetable oil. Rinse fish and then dry with paper towels. Crush up bag of saltines or some corn flakes and add season-all to cracker crumbs. Whip up an egg or two and add a little pepper. you know the rest. Usually eat with some tartar sauce and a little lemon juice on it as well.

To go with it, I usually fry up some sliced potatoes in butter along with a mess of onions in a big pan. Start these well before the fish as they take longer. Wash it all down with 4 or 5 Gluek Honey Bocks if you've got 'em, although any beer will do!

Just had this meal this past sunday night and am looking forward to the next (maybe next week?)

My method is a little off-topic because it isn't "frying" fish, but it is a good way to make lighter, healthier meals that don't stink up the house or cause such a mess.

Just take your cleaned fillets and spread them out on a plate so that they aren't overlapping. Then, take a tiny dollop of butter and place it in the middle of the plate. Then, cover the place with saran wrap. Make sure that the seal around the edge of the plate is tight so that no air will escape while cooking. Oh yeah, and you can season the fish any way you want. Finally, microwave the fish for three or four minutes, and wa la! you're done!

This is a great way to prepare fish for use in salads or in tacos, too, though it does make great fillets just for eating as well.

Carl

I agree with Eyeguy, Shorelunch "Cajun", but my kids don't like it that hot. So we follow the directions on the back of the shore lunch box "beer batter" only we use the 'Ovenbake Original' for the dry mix and the 'Cajun' for the wet mix. Mmmmmm the kids eat it up.

We also de-bone pheasant and do the same thing, like spicy chicken strips.

Bread with whatever you want, but fry with bacon grease. Never throw out bacon grease, seal it and throw it in the fridge for the next walleye meal. Heaven, pure heaven

The "cajun" shorelunch is the way to go!!! I never heard of putting it on pheasant, good call sid05!!

The best way to fry fish, is not to fry them. This recipe was in "Taste of Home" a couple of years back; it's easy to prepare a large amount of fish, and very tasty. Works well for sunnies, crappies, walleye; not great for northern.

crush up regular potato chips to make one cup

add 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed thyme leaf

add 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese, mix well

spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray, sprinkle with

1/4 C crushed bread crumbs

dip filets in milk, then into chip mixture (pat onto filets to stick as much on as you can)

put filets on greased sheets, drizzle with 2 Tbsp. melted

butter;

Bake at 500Deg. 10-12 minutes.

A couple other alternatives that I like which haven't been mentioned. I like to grill fish in the summer time (or winter if you want to brave the elements or hunker down in the garage). Take a large sheet of tin foil and butter it with your favorite spread (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter for me) then layer with fish (any kind) using only about 1/3 of the space on the sheet. Season with your spices of choice (pepper and Lowry's season salt for me) and then wrap the tin foil around the fish to be air tight. Grill over medium heat until fish are essentially steamed to perfection.

A winter variation would be to rub fillets with Olive oil and then shake on your favorite seasoning (Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt for me) and then bake in an oven at 425 degrees for about 15 or 20 minutes.

I still like frying them best. I coat my fish with a blend of corn meal, white flour, pepper and Lowry's before frying in vegetable oil.

My barber told me this one, you take pike fillets cut them up into small pices like half dollar sized, then you take two cans of 7 up and bring that to a boil, after boil bring it down to simmer and drop the pices of pike in for a few minutes. Melt some butter up for dipping and its suppose to taste as good if not better then crab he said. I havent been able to catch any pike yet this year so i havent tried it but he says it amazing.

7 up? Interesting...I'm going to have to try that.

Did anyone else's mouth water when they read each post?

I usually pan fry in veg. oil.

Club crackers crushed finely little bit of flour lawrys and some other spices. Med. heat until they brown...awesome.

Don't be afraid to broil them basted with cilantro and e.v.o.o.

Originally Posted By: mrklean
My barber told me this one, you take pike fillets cut them up into small pices like half dollar sized, then you take two cans of 7 up and bring that to a boil, after boil bring it down to simmer and drop the pices of pike in for a few minutes. Melt some butter up for dipping and its suppose to taste as good if not better then crab he said. I havent been able to catch any pike yet this year so i havent tried it but he says it amazing.

Man I want to try that one out!

just fried up some fresh crappie tonight and they were outstanding...used italian bread crumbs instead of crushed crackers and it was really good.

make them in the oven from time to time and they are good that way too...especially bigger fish like walleye and northern.

may give the 7up recipe a go this weekend!

If any of you guys try that let me know how it is, i want to try it but i need to catch some fish first

I like to use Chef Roberts dry batter (very hard to find though)with a little tequila lime seasoning. Cut into 2-3" chunks, Put into deep fryer at 450 temp. Crispy on the outside, flaky on the inside. Num Nums!!

not that hard to find if you've ever been to Cub and have ventured near their meat department

Andy's seasoning that you can get at Fleet Farm, add a little flour and drop in fryer, O' so good

This recipe works for any fish, and is the best you've ever had.

Dry Mix

3 Rahman noodle packages(yes what all of us had daily in college) - Crush with rolling pin - Not to a fine powder though.

1-2 packages of saltines crushed fine -rolling pin works great here. (I've also used pretzels here instead)

Season All - Salt - Pepper. (small quantity)

Mix all together.

Wet Mix

2 eggs

1/2 cup mil

1 tsp starch

1/2 cup flour

Season All - Salt - Pepper. (small quantity)

Let fish soak 3-4 hours

Coat fish in Wet Mix, then in Dry mix, and set aside for cooking.(you can also pre-prepare and put in fridge)

I cook in a deep fryer, but you could also use a pan or electric frying pan.

Heat oil (see below) to 360degree's, drop in Filet's (# vary based on species)

Cook until they float, which is 1-4 minutes.

Enjoy the best fish of your life.

PS - Always, Always, Always debone your fish.

Not that it helps this recipe, but because you never want someone complaining because they found a bone.

Oil - Canola oil has been claimed to be healthy due to its low, or even zero, saturated fat and high—almost 60%—monounsaturated oil content and beneficial omega-3 fatty acids profile