Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rcook72

Northern Help

6 posts in this topic

Jon I need some serious help. I would love to catch a few pig northerns next week. What do you think the best bait and presentations would be for me to tangle with gator? The reason outside of my love of fishing is that I am tired of my wife bragging that she has caught the largest Northern, Muskie, and Bass between us. I am a great guide for her but can't produce one for myself so I need a sweet picture or two to bring home with me. On top of that my brother has been living high on a 51" muskie that he caught 5 years ago and still wont shut up about it. I need some BRAGGING RIGHTS in the family. I will blow them up and hang the pictures all over and she isn't coming so she can't out fish me again. THX in advance Rob

For bait presentations you can’t go wrong with a sucker kicking around under the ice. Some like the dead stuff and some like the stinky stuff but I will always go with alive and struggling. Dead baits are missing one major factor and smelly stuff needs different water. Vibration is huge on Upper Red Lake! Pike have a very strong sense of vibration, so strong it is believed to over ride the visual aspect during a moving strike. Somewhat like blindfolded guy catching an arrow by sound, pike can range and gauge their attack via vibration…I definitely want my bait to have that! As for the stinky stuff it works great if the water moves a little and carries a few parts per million around to allure a pikes nose. Trouble is Upper Red has almost zero flow in the winter, just some mixing from the ice surging so the smell is around the immediate area of the bait and that’s it. By time the fish smells it has most likely already picked it up visually.

So get a good sized sucker and rig it on a legal quick strike rig halfway up the water column. Remember on Red that only puts you six feet from anything.

That is what to do with one rig

The other rig or presentation should never leave your hand. Get a good rod reel set up with some 20lb test or bigger, a good fluorocarbon leader and locking swivel snaps. This is what you are going to want to use to jig big spoons, airplane jigs, and anything else that zigs, zags and flashes. Jig it until you arm wants to fall off then jig it some more. Another cool tip is to crash the lure constantly. Crash it into the ice , crash it into the bottom just run it into everything like a blind monkey driving a car or just like a dying/struggling baitfish that is losing motor skills.

Quote:
I need some BRAGGING RIGHTS in the family. I will blow them up and hang the pictures all over and she isn't coming so she can't out fish me again.

Now the bragging rights

How I solve that is I force siblings, significant others, friends and family to look at my big fish photos if they want to use the bathroom. ;\)

hallwayni9.jpg

If that doesnt work I drag out the photo albums and explain EVERY fish in painfully slow detail, that will shut em up. \:D

Originally Posted By: Jonny P
How I solve that is I force siblings, significant others, friends and family to look at my big fish photos if they want to use the bathroom. ;\)

hallwayni9.jpg

I see there is a BIG Flathead Cat on that wall! grin.gif

My suggestion for BIG Pike on URL... bring a bunch of kids with you! My experience after watching Jon's reports for a few years now is the houses with the most kids catch the biggest pike. Not sure what the deal is there but there are more than a couple smiling kids in photos with big pike from URL.

Like Jon said, make noise!! I like to use a big rattling rapala or a rattle trap. Color doesnt matter that much to me, but I usually use like a 3/4 oz orange. Maybe spray some scent on it and rip it through the water. You can cover a lot of water, and you have to move.

Try to stay in a spot where there arent that many people and you can cover water. And dont expect you are going to catch something right away. Like Jon said, you need to use heavy line and a swivel. That trap will be flyin everywhere.

And most importantly, HANG ON!!! When they crush it they usually arent gonna hit it cause they are real hungry, but cause you pissed them off.

Good luck

Man those are some awesome pictures!! Thanks for all the great Info. I am going to put alot of time and effort in to this hopefuly it pans out. I will post some pictures for you. THX again Rob

5 feet under the ice and a dead shinner caught the only pike of the weekend. Did have a few drops on live suckers and shinners.