• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

COZUMEL ???????

Heading to cozumel and was wondering if anyone has done any fishing down there or has any recomendations for a place to go.

Thanks for any help

Some pretty darned good billfishing out of there a little later on-April May etc. Cross over to mainland and further south for flats fishing for bones etc.

Used to be some little known bonefishing right on Cozumel proper and may still be. And you will likely be able to find charter boats for general bottoms fishing etc.

Cozumel a pretty busy place now compare to the old days.

Have fun.

The bill fishing is real close.You will also catch barracuda,mahi mahi,snapper among others. It's a good time. I will be down there end of March, but in Cancun. I don't have any recommendations for a captain/boat out of Cozumel. If you are down there for a week check out the marina/boats when they come in the first few days you are there. They go out on 4,6 and 8 hr day trips. I think they take off about 8:00am but check with the marina. They will tell you when they come in. You won't see the bill fish(released) but you can talk to the fishermen and watch for big smiles if they liked it. grin.gif Bottom fishing is also a gas and a gaurantee to catch fish. ;\)

I went out of Cancun when I was down there. While I had a great time, I don't think I would do it again. We were out by Cozumel for the Bill fish, and I just wasn't down for riding the roller coaster waves, waiting for my turn to reel in a Tuna.

If you can rent a car and drive out of Cancun, head down to Boca Paila. I fished out of a lodge there a few years ago and the bonefish, permit and tarpon were amazing. I know there are a few places you can get out in the flats and cast, or you can take one of the guides. If I could go somewhere for saltwater, that is the place I would go in a second. One of the top 10 places in the world to get a grand slam.

From last year GRH, but it's still note worthy.

I fished the north end lagoons with local guide Alex Euan in February 2007.

The whole purpose of this trip, for me, was to catch a bonefish using a fly rod. One, I'm at an intermediate level (at least I thought I was) when it comes to using a fly rod. Mostly from fishing SE MN streams as a kid for trout and back then I used a 7' fly rod. I found out quickly that I was a novice with the equipment Alex uses. A 9' - 8 weight rod, saltwater fly reel, 8# leader with about 40 yards of floating fly line and what seemed like 100 yards of backing. My estimates are probably off, but close enough. After that first hook-set, I can see why he has soo much backing!! The only fish I was able to boat used nearly all of the backing and he peeled it off in less than 10 seconds. Half way into his run I start laughing - Alex starts laughing and I could tell this was going to be a fun day.

It took me about an hour of practice before I nailed that fish, but it was worth the wait. The fish tail in the shallows in groups of three or four and you can see them for 100 yards milling around and then they will move off. When they move is when you have that opportunity to make the cast. I lost count but I probably miscued and missed around two dozen of these pods all because of my lack of concentration. When I did everything right though, which was on three fish, man was that a blast. Like I implied above, they run faster than any fish I have hooked.

Let me explain the whole fishing experience for me, as best as I can:

1. Watching, patience & stealth count for this fish more than any other I have fished.

2. Cast's have to be accurate and in front of the fish, about 8'. Their eye sight is excellent and you can spook them by placing the fly too close. I did.

3. My side arm (SE MN style) of fly fishing doesn't work! I was rushing my back & forward cast too much and I didn't point the rod down on the forward motion which shoots the fly line out through the guides. Finish the cast.

4. Short strips with your rod tip almost touching the water. As Alex put it, 4" to 5"...strip...strip...strip short pause to let the fly sink and strip again. What this does is make the fly jump and man do those fish respond!

5. When they hit the fly, set that hook! I had two decent fish get off because I didn't "rear" back and hit them hard.

I heard multiple times from the back of the boat.....ai yai yai Jon

Alex ties his own pattern which looks like a shrimp. Real beauties too! I had a barracuda hit one and it was gone in a second.

He really worked his tail off to put me on fish. He uses a pole to push the boat, man am I glad I have a minnkota!!

http://www.cozumel.net/fun/fly-fishing/

Oh yeah, I'm heading back in a few weeks!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.