• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next weekend's cold weather

katofishingguy

I am coming up next weekend with wife and kids staying in a sleeper any thoughts on what the cold weather we are supposed to have will do to the bite.

3 years ago, 39 below, we had our best day ever on Red.

The high(?) that day was 19 below. Fishing was great! Didn't leave the portable much though !!

The air we live in will be colder but the water the fish live in will be the same temps. Unless there is a pressure change also how will the fish even know that the people up there in the air are having a cold snap.

That good to hear Jon I will be up in one of your sleeper on the 24th- 28th. I am hoping to get into the slab crappies. Last year we only found three all weekend working her pretty hard in the deep snow and ice. Hoping for more action from the craps when we get up there this year. See you in a few weeks. \:D

Tonight was a perfect example.

We had a warm day with steady/slightly falling baromter. I went fishing and got skunked, big goose egg, zero zip zilch.I then packed up and changed propane tanks on the houses so on and so forth. Then began evening rounds checking on our anglers.

I walked up to the first house figuring it was tough all over and to my surprise they where all smiles and catching fish. Huh? Must have been a fluke? The next house and house after that and house after that the same story. Falling temps, odd daylight condition and slow bite all day long but every one said the same thing"about an hour ago they started biting".

Well I went to the truck and checked the barometer history, sure enough a huge spike in barometric pressure..about an hour ago.

So the cold is no big deal and actaully welcome for ice production, the pressure is something to consider although.

Sure enjoy all the info you give to us. What would be a good barometer to carry, do they have units that record x-number of days for playback or is it a pen & paper deal. Thankx

I have been using a Lowrance Expedition C GPS that has 24 hour barometric recording built in.