Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dean Schellinger

Lake Maps

7 posts in this topic

Just curiously what my best option would be to get a map of a lake in the St. Cloud area. To see the break lines etc. Anything available online that anyone has found or what local outdoor store would be good to hit up? Thanks

That is a very open-ended question. What lake are you looking for? Do a google search for MN DNR lake maps. You will find almost every lake and pond in the state.

You can just go to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources web page. Its under Lake Finder. Type in the name of the lake and the county. You can either just look at it on the computer or print it out.

Thanks, I checked out the Lake Finder before but looked a little more carefully at it just now. I was just hoping to get a better idea of the deep holes and drop offs of a certain lake. Heard the fish were biting on the lake from a friend and I have never fished it so I just wanted some idea of where to start.

At Gander Mt. they have Lake Master paper maps. I thought they looked realy good. They cost $15.00 but I dont know if they have them for every lake. You can also by a book by Sportsmans Connection with every lake in your area detailed inside. I dont think the detail is near as good as the Lake Master maps but its cheaper and you get alot of lakes.

Those Mn DNR lakefinder maps are ok and give you a general idea but they do miss a lot of structure and contours. Most the smaller lakes in this area just don't have much for contour info available. Navionics and Lakemaster so have some of the larger lakes and are more accurate when they're more than just an upload of the lakefinder map. Might just have to do it the old fashioned way and bring your vex with a cup of water running around the area you want to fish. Good luck

The plan was to head out there with the power auger, vex, and underwater camera and just scout out the lake for awhile. In hopes of finding some panfish while a few tipups are down for northerns. Can't find a new hotspot without looking. Ill try to give a report tomorrow when I get back.