Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ROOOOSTERFISH

REDTAIL CHUBS GULL LAKE

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Anyone know if the redtails are doing any action on Gull or is

it shiners that are producing?

Darl Ekstrom

Typically redtails are not readily available in the winter. They are a river minnow that is seined, which is a little tough with ice cover. I have tried them a little at early ice without much success. My theory is when the water is this cold in the winter the walleyes prefer a slower minnow like a shiner. Even well into May in the open water season I think this holds true. I like to fish chubs from late May through October. In the winter most of the time we fish golden shiners, fatheads, and rainbows.

Jason Erlandson

Jason is absolutely right...

Right now the bite is on smaller golden shiners and fatheads...

Also, the bite has slowed a bit from a few weeks ago.. I am still catching a few walleyes just about every evening or early morning... I have also moved a bit deeper....I think all of the traffic on Gull with the noise really does affect the walleyes... A few weeks ago I was catching most of my fish in 15 - 18 ft of water... Now most are coming from 22 - 24 ft of water..

Being very quiet at the prime bite time (4 - 6 pm and 6 - 9 am) does make a big difference!!!

Is rainbows a fathead? Not sure if I want to pick a scoup of

them also????

Thank you very much for the information Jason and Joel

Daryl Ekstrom

Rainbows are not a fathead....different minnow.. I had good success with them last year on a small jig when fishing slowed down in late January... they are a pretty small minnow.. Fatheads are darker and a bit larger. Both are good baits.

Thanks Joel, obviously we do not have them around the Metro area. I think I will give them a try when we go up there.

Daryl Ekstrom