Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
fishinbabe

Lower Red Map

fishinbabe

Just have been wondering what the depths and structures are on Lower Red and was wondering if anyone has seen a map or knows where I can look at one. This is just out of curiosity. Thanks.

mnhunter 3815

i have a lake map og red on my gps.has all the cribs ect ect.there r some 17ft deep holes but the indian border.other than that the lake is pretty much 16ft.

late night

Lake Master chip shows the bottom structure on a GPS or you can buy a good Lake Master paper map. You should be able to find a map on the DNR Lake Finder web site or in a local bait shop. There isnt a whole lot of structure, basicaly a big bowl. People who know the lake better probably know of secret little humps and such but its basically shallow to deeper the further you go out, 14ft max. Lots of maps show a 8ft hump right on the reservation line but I also heard it does not exsist??? There are crappie cribs in the lake scattered around but I dont think they are hot-spots. I believe the Red Lake Crappie Assosiation has a web-site that showes a good map with the cribs marked and GPS cords.

late night

Sorry, its not the Red Lake Crappie Ass.its the Red Lake Area Ass and I just noticed you want the Lower Red. My advice is not very good, sorry

LABS4ME

I have never seen a map of Lower Red, but have it on good authority that it more resembles a 'traditional' Norhtern Minnesota Lake. ie: bars and reefs and humps etc. Been told it gets down in the mid-30's for depth also...

I heard it was sorta mapped out once back in the 40's or so by the Govt. I Don't know how accurate that map would be. What company would invest it's resources and capital into mapping Lower, when there wouldn't be a market to sell the maps. It would cost big money to sound that basin and come up with a map. I bet those that fish Lower, find their spots the ol' fashioned way....

Good Luck!

Ken

kelly-p

A few years back (or maybe decades :-)) I traded the Red Lake Band a copy of my URL map for a copy of their map of their waters. Then I wished we could trade lakes too.

vaneeck

So Kelly, do you still have it? and if so what do you see? there has been urban legends out there for years about lower Red.

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

He wants lower, not upper

mnhunter 3815

ohhh vgl with that 1.my lake master chip stops at the indian border lol go figure

kelly-p

Quite a bit of structure both in the western part of Upper Red and all across Lower Red. A lot of 20 to 40 foot depths where I'm sure the crappies we are looking for here now are just starting to leave after going there in the heat last summer. The same basic bowl shape but much more structure mixed in.

If you want urban legend the homesteaders here felt that there was another lake UNDER URL that the fish went to during the summer heat.

bieganekbaitco

I have a map of Lower Red lake, Buddy Hillman gave it to me a few years back, very interesting to say the least. I think Buddy has a copy of it at his tavern. The deep holes are in a series of successions that resemble a bombing run from the military!!!!?????

Random guy

I have the same map. It looks interesting to say the least, sure wish we had that water depth when the heat comes on in the summer.

MOBY RICHARD*

Sooo...is anyone going to post the map??? ;\)

kelly-p

I made a handshake aggreement with the Band that I would keep their map private and they would keep my map private.

mike morris

Originally Posted By: kelly-p
I made a handshake aggreement with the Band that I would keep their map private and they would keep my map private.

grin.gif

dstyle

I thought the lower red lake was off limits to everyone but the tribe? Is that right?

mike morris

Yes it is.

Desperado

Unless you're willing to test it in court AND have the time, money and lawyers to do so, then yes . . .

That is the prevailing opinion.

However there is a legitimate dissenting opinion. (one of the leading proponents of this opinion is one: Greg Spaulding of mn)

As with many things in life this one is more complicated than it appears at first glance.

dstyle

How do you know how far out on the lake you can go without getting into trouble?

bradyd

Your guess is as good as mine. I always play it safe and don't go any farther than the furthest fish house.

I believe there is a gps coordinate of the boundary though.

Random guy

Originally Posted By: dstyle
How do you know how far out on the lake you can go without getting into trouble?

Copied from the DNR flyer

Quote:
Boundary Information

Those portions of Red Lake located within the Red Lake Indian Reservation are closed to non-band members except by special authorization of the tribal council.

When fishing near the reservation boundary, using a GPS unit will ensure compliance.

State anglers: The actual boundary is not a true north-south line. To simplify, it is recommended that State anglers stay east of the longitudinal coordinate of 94° 43’ 12.0” W to ensure they are on State waters.

Everyone fishing near the boundary is responsible for knowing his/her location.