Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinbabe

Lower Red Map

21 posts in this topic

Just have been wondering what the depths and structures are on Lower Red and was wondering if anyone has seen a map or knows where I can look at one. This is just out of curiosity. Thanks.

i have a lake map og red on my gps.has all the cribs ect ect.there r some 17ft deep holes but the indian border.other than that the lake is pretty much 16ft.

Lake Master chip shows the bottom structure on a GPS or you can buy a good Lake Master paper map. You should be able to find a map on the DNR Lake Finder web site or in a local bait shop. There isnt a whole lot of structure, basicaly a big bowl. People who know the lake better probably know of secret little humps and such but its basically shallow to deeper the further you go out, 14ft max. Lots of maps show a 8ft hump right on the reservation line but I also heard it does not exsist??? There are crappie cribs in the lake scattered around but I dont think they are hot-spots. I believe the Red Lake Crappie Assosiation has a web-site that showes a good map with the cribs marked and GPS cords.

Sorry, its not the Red Lake Crappie Ass.its the Red Lake Area Ass and I just noticed you want the Lower Red. My advice is not very good, sorry

I have never seen a map of Lower Red, but have it on good authority that it more resembles a 'traditional' Norhtern Minnesota Lake. ie: bars and reefs and humps etc. Been told it gets down in the mid-30's for depth also...

I heard it was sorta mapped out once back in the 40's or so by the Govt. I Don't know how accurate that map would be. What company would invest it's resources and capital into mapping Lower, when there wouldn't be a market to sell the maps. It would cost big money to sound that basin and come up with a map. I bet those that fish Lower, find their spots the ol' fashioned way....

Good Luck!

Ken

A few years back (or maybe decades :-)) I traded the Red Lake Band a copy of my URL map for a copy of their map of their waters. Then I wished we could trade lakes too.

So Kelly, do you still have it? and if so what do you see? there has been urban legends out there for years about lower Red.

He wants lower, not upper

ohhh vgl with that 1.my lake master chip stops at the indian border lol go figure

Quite a bit of structure both in the western part of Upper Red and all across Lower Red. A lot of 20 to 40 foot depths where I'm sure the crappies we are looking for here now are just starting to leave after going there in the heat last summer. The same basic bowl shape but much more structure mixed in.

If you want urban legend the homesteaders here felt that there was another lake UNDER URL that the fish went to during the summer heat.

I have a map of Lower Red lake, Buddy Hillman gave it to me a few years back, very interesting to say the least. I think Buddy has a copy of it at his tavern. The deep holes are in a series of successions that resemble a bombing run from the military!!!!?????

I have the same map. It looks interesting to say the least, sure wish we had that water depth when the heat comes on in the summer.

Sooo...is anyone going to post the map??? ;\)

I made a handshake aggreement with the Band that I would keep their map private and they would keep my map private.

Originally Posted By: kelly-p
I made a handshake aggreement with the Band that I would keep their map private and they would keep my map private.

grin.gif

I thought the lower red lake was off limits to everyone but the tribe? Is that right?

Yes it is.

Unless you're willing to test it in court AND have the time, money and lawyers to do so, then yes . . .

That is the prevailing opinion.

However there is a legitimate dissenting opinion. (one of the leading proponents of this opinion is one: Greg Spaulding of mn)

As with many things in life this one is more complicated than it appears at first glance.

How do you know how far out on the lake you can go without getting into trouble?

Your guess is as good as mine. I always play it safe and don't go any farther than the furthest fish house.

I believe there is a gps coordinate of the boundary though.

Originally Posted By: dstyle
How do you know how far out on the lake you can go without getting into trouble?

Copied from the DNR flyer

Quote:
Boundary Information

Those portions of Red Lake located within the Red Lake Indian Reservation are closed to non-band members except by special authorization of the tribal council.

When fishing near the reservation boundary, using a GPS unit will ensure compliance.

State anglers: The actual boundary is not a true north-south line. To simplify, it is recommended that State anglers stay east of the longitudinal coordinate of 94° 43’ 12.0” W to ensure they are on State waters.

Everyone fishing near the boundary is responsible for knowing his/her location.