Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandcarp

Pelican Lake reports

12 posts in this topic

What is the ice report and ice ridges on pelican?

Has anyone got any walleye reports?

I have been sticking to Gull so I can't comment on the ice conditions up there, but the reports have been on the slow side from Pelican. An angler here and there has been catching a few but it hasn't been widespread. I think it has been a little spotty on Pelican this winter.

Jason Erlandson

The ice is about 13" mid-lake, about 4" of that is frozen slush, thicker on the bays. I have seen trucks on the south side and moose bay regularly, but no one has been driving vehicles in the mid-lake. The slush situation is getting a lot better, seems to be mostly on the north side.

No major heaves yet, but they are starting in the usual spots.

This has been the slowest start I have had in last few years. We got some bait from Jason on Wednesday evening and caught three, but only one over 12". Pretty typical this year.

Have shack on northside. No real fast action. Ice is about 13", no slush where I am. Trucks driving out pretty regular. Dont see any ridges. Dont see many houses on mid lake though. Might drive wheeler out to midlake spot and check ice. Looks like there drivin out on gull too on Hole in the day.

Two weeks ago I had streaks of nothing an then a solo walleye come through. I was in 17-12 FOW and most of my fish were 18-23" in length. There was 12" on the East side, and there were plenty of trucks driving out there. Mornings were better.

Yeah action has slowed for me off of knoxies landing. Getting ready to go after some crappies elsewhere. Still have been able to catch an eye or two out there in 20' of water.

Howdy everyone - new member to FM and I thoroughly enjoy all the posts...

I plan on heading to Pelican next weekend and was wondering what the ice was like...slush, where vehicles are driving? I am not that familiar with Pelican on hard water but would like to get on some fish this weekend. I am taking up 6-8 beginners and would like to see them hook a couple. Type not all that important but would like to get enough friday and Saturday for a nice meal.

Where is a good place to start for walleyes...would like to stay on the West central side of the lake between Moose and Gooseberry...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyskie!

Tisosy, I don't fish that side all that much during the winter because my cabin is on the other side. However, I know there are a few rock humps over that way and some nice points. During the summer I catch a lot of walleyes around Gooseberry. I would stick between 17-25FOW for the walleyes, but some people have been having luck around Moose for crappies and perch from what I have heard. Mornings are much better on Pelican than any other time and focus on the weed edges. I would give Jason a call and get an up to date report. Jason works at Dave's Sportland Bait and Nisswa Guides Nisswa MN 218-963-2401 Jason@sportlandbait.com

Heading up to Pelican this weekend...whats everyones thoughts about how the cold front coming in would effect the fishing?? Does weather patterns play as big of role in the winter as it would in the summer? Just wondering what peoples thoughts are...thanks!

Whats the snow amount like on the lake? I plan on bringing up my wheeler this weekend and don't have chains on it. Will this be a huge mistake? I'll be pulling my new X2.

I think that you would be ok without chains on a 4 wheeler. The snow is packed down for the most part, and I haven't seen a slush spot for about two weeks on Pelican.

There is very little snow on lake very easy to move. Trucks are going just about everywhere. Been gettin a few in 24 FOW on drop off. Had one break my fireline tonite, it was a rod bender, got 5 small ones-cigars. Going to be nippy out there this weekend.