• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late Ice Basswood Pike!?!?!?

Just from looking at a map right now...I would think Jackfish Bay would be good for pike. From what I can tell, it looks like a road goes by Range Lake and ends not far from Jackfish. Anyone been on in this area before?

If it was legal...I would think this would be IDEAL for ice out...because the pike would be heading toward the rivers to spawn. Maybe they'll change it back?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• finnbay

• GoggleEye

• Steve Foss

• Tullibee

Doop,

Sorry, but that road has been closed for several years and it is not legal to use motorized vehicles to get there. Also, Jackfish is considered inland waters and the northern fishing there ends at the end of this month.

djb1

I think you gave yourself the answer when it comes to fishing pressure.

Too many people fishing in one area equals too much noise and activity on the ice, and sound really travels under water.

IMO, lakers tend to move away from this.

Try moving away from others.

Burntside is a big lake and there are a bunch of trout swimming around in many places that no one fishes.

The reason I think it was fishing pressure was because of number of holes in the area. It was not because of other fisherman in the area when I was fishing it. If there are people on a piece of structure I look for another place to fish when it comes to lake trout.

Thanks Finn,

I was actually thinking of trying it in December. We normally fish Birch and that lake has been good to us, but I was wanting to try a new lake and Basswood was on the list....it seems like it can be kind of difficult though to get anywhere near it..lol.

Doop,

December is a good time to go it there's enough ice. I've gone through that time of year trying to get up there, but that's another story.

If travel conditions are good, it takes about an hour and a half to make the trip. Gotta watch how much gear you bring, however.

Doop, no doubt one of the reasons Basswood is still such a good fishery is that very difficulty in getting there.

Other, more accessible waters around Ely get more and more pressure as time goes on and development continues to explode. But in Basswood, since it's a motorized portion of the BWCAW, boat permit restrictions limit the fishing pressure in open water, and in winter, when a person could fill out a self-issued day permit for a non-overnight stay in the BWCAW, travel time to and from the lake removes that option for most (not all) folks.

Doop,

This is me a few years ago (okay, many years ago!) going across Moose Lake for a three day stay on Basswood. Sled is homemade and is carrying everything except the kitchen sink!

sled.jpg

djb1,

The point of my last post about traffic was that too many people have fished that area.

That does not mean they caught anything.

You stated that there are a lot of holes drilled which makes for a lot of noise, and makes my argument.

The commotion may have moved the trout away from there for 1 day, 5 days, 10 days, ??????

I'd go someplace else.

I fish a different spot each time where no one else is fishing and see many smelt/fish on the Marcum.

Now, hooking them is a different thing!

Great Outdoors,

I agree with you about moving around. Even when the lake had very little pressure 10 to 15 years ago we still would not fish the same stucture 2 days in a row. It was rare for us to only fish a piece of structure twice all winter. But now some very good spots are getting fished hard and from the sign left they are getting fish (blood on the ice). Who knows how many fish their getting but with the quality of fisherman today they will figure it out, heck I did.

OK, I have a couple questions for you guys. If Basswood is a motorboat lake, how do people get their boats there if it is such a hard lake to access, even by foot?? Do they put in at different lakes and motor into basswood through channels and connected lakes?? If so, what lakes can you launch at and access Basswood? Second question, where is the cheapest place to stay in the Ely area?? I am debating coming up this weekend and I just need a place to lay my head at night, nothing nice or fancy. Thanks!

GoggleEye

As to question #1. Boats have some limited access to Basswood through a motorized portage at Prairie Portage off of the Moose Lake chain. A truck and trailer loads the boats on one end, hauls them across the portage and drops them off at the other end. Portage wheels may also be used on the portages from Fall Lake to Pipestone Bay. Portage wheels are small carriages that boats and canoes ride on across the portages. Only a couple entry points allow this, and it is difficult enough that only small boats and square stern canoes employ this method. Other than that, it's carry on your shoulders.

So if I was to launch a 14 ft. boat with a 15 hp motor into Moose lake, how would I make arrangments to have someone load my boat at the prairie portage and launch me into Basswood?? Is it a resort that does this? Maybe I am not understanding the concept fully??

GE

First off you need a permit for Basswood which are like gold in that area. The permit deadline was Jan. 15th I think so you might need to beg, borrow, or steal to get one. I believe Prairie Portage is run by Lattourel's (sp?) currently and I think is was about $30 round trip.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

First you'll need a motor permit. You have a choice of day use or overnight. If your planning on a trip this summer your out of luck because those permits are most likely all taken.

There was thread abut BWCAW info not long ago, take look everything is there.

I don't remember the hours for the truck portage but call LaTourell's resort on Moose, they operate the portage.

You drive your loaded boat right onto their trailer and off you go.

LaTourell's do run the portage and arrangements are made with them. Prior to the opening of the regular fishing season, you must reserve a time with them. After fishing season starts, they keep a daily schedule that they manage the portage. Permits are like gold. There are very few overnight permits issued, and they're probably all spoken for. Daily permits are issued to be used during a specific week and you may use them any day during that week. Occasionally, one of these will be open. The system is supposed to work as, if a person who has reserved a permit isn't going to use it, they are to let the permit system know and it will be put back into the system for someone else to use. A weekly check will let you know whether any permits have become available. Not every one lets the Forest Service know, so many times unused permits are not re-entered into the system.

Thought I would throw a few photos on here to show what we are going to be missing out on this spring. cry.gif

basswoodpike.jpg

basswoodpike2.jpg

Cory

Thanks ditchpickle

I guess the bright side is now I get to explore new border waters for late ice pike.

Cory

Thanks for all the info. guys. Every time I think I have a good idea for a trip, something keeps coming up to put a damper on it.....oh well. At least I have some great info and ideas for next spring and summer. I guess I will just keep checking to see if any of those day use permits pop up. Is Lake Saganaga the same way? I am assuming you have to apply early for this one too! I would love to give that lake a try also. Nice pics Tulibee!!!!

GE