• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Non Toxic Shot Questions

I've shot steel ever since the mandated switch from lead. This past year I started my nine year old son hunting with a single shot 20 gauge (Remington Spr 100) - shooting steel wasn't recommended in the instructions for this gun. I also wanted to maximize knockdown power so I lightened my wallet a bit and bought him some Bismuth and Federal Premium High Density (box stated softer than steel). He had a good 1st year in knocking down a woodie, bluewing. and a ringneck with his sngle shot. I have since heard Kent has tungsten matrix and Hevishot has come out with a softer tungsten shot (classic doubles).

Anyone have any experience with bismuth, Kent's tungsten matrix or Hevishot's "classic doubles" tungsten? What's the best as far as knockdown power? What is Federal Premium High Density and is it safe to shoot in barrels not rated for steel? How about choke patterns - I've heard Kent's tungsten matrix chokes like lead does? Any input is appreciated in deciding what to buy for next season.

all of the non toxic stuff patterns pretty dense. im assuming that since its a single shot and not recommended for steel that the gun is of fixed choke tight constriction? or is it just an old firearm (not familiar with the spr 100) i shoot bismuth out of my old full choke wingmaster, with zero problems and good patterns. i personally didnt like the performance of federal hi density compared to federal steel in my regular goose gun.

Its a newer gun with a modified choke. I was somewhat surprised when I got it home and read the no "steel recommendation" in the instructions, Last year I had trouble finding bismuth - think the company sold or something. Hopefully this year it will be more available. Thanks for the response.

I believe the Kent T-Matrix is going to be your best option. The Bismuth is gone (sob sob) due to high demand in other parts of the world for a very limited supply of the stuff. Since I am one of those unreconstructed throwbacks who tried-and hated-steel from the start, I have been shooting Bismuth since it was available. Great stuff. Now the T-Matrix is my choice. I suspect the demise of Bismuth will bring more options.

I am surprised your shotgun requires a non-toxic shot. As you know, the gun is an inexpensive import from (I think) Turkey. It makes me think the steel in the barrel is not HARD enough to deal with steel shot. It IS surprising in a gun of modern manufacture. The SPR is also around the market place in other permutations.

I shoot a SPR310 O/U that lists the same limitations on shooting steel shot through anything but the C or IC choke. I spoke with the gunsmith at Gander Mountain in St. Cloud, and he indicated that as long as you do not shoot anything bigger than 2 shot steel through the M choke you will be just fine. Just to be on the safe side, I would check with your local gunsmith.

To all - Thanks for the input. It's good to have options to steel although it would be nice if the price would come down on the new stuff (another benefit in limiting him to a single shot for his 1st couple years). I'll probably try Kent's T-Matrix and am intrigued by Hevishot's new "classic doubles" soft tungsten just out. Good to be on a forum site with enough users to get advice on questions such as this.