• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

End of July Smallmouth fishing???

pike doctor

Could anybody tell me what the smallmouth fishing is like at the end of July?? Specifically I will be fishing around Isle bay, Spider Island, Father Hennepin and Wahkon Bay. Are there many muskies in the area??

How deep of water would I be fishing to catch either species? I have never fished the pond in open water, but I want to rent a cabin in the area. Just looking for some friendly advice. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

I don't generally target smallies, but we were up at Izatys last july 20th-26th. We were slip bobber fishing for walleyes and a big Ranger boat pulled up to us and asked us if we new where Izatys was. It was Bob Mehsikomer, Ted Takasaki and another guy. So I asked if they were fishing muskies and he said no we are looking for a rock bar in front of Izatys. We never caught any smallies but I would think that would be a good place to try since they were fishing that area.

A lot of the rock piles on the south end of the lake are famous for holding smallies. They are good sized too, and you will see a lot of guys in that part of the lake throwing for muskies. I was up there towards the middle part of last July and the muskie guys way outnumbered the walleye guys as far as I could see. They get a lot of pressure on the lake and last summer, the best times to get a Mille Lacs muskie, was night fishing.

Slip bobbers with leeches on rick piles should get you smallies. I never try to catch them but you do get alot of them when you are just fishing for walleyes. They are alot of fun and keep you pumped all day while fishing. Strong fish, put up a good fight!