• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st timer to low

could anyone let me know the limits,if you can clean fish on ice ,and slots if any thanks and sorry if this is a repeat question i just need to know. thanks again

Love16 is right on with the slots and the limits but you should know that it is actually an aggregate limit of 8 walleye and sauger. no more than 4 can be walleye. IE... 2 wal 6 saug, 4 wal 4 saug. 1 wal 7 saug, 8 saug 0 walleye.

Good luck.

If I am correct (please check w/ the reg's before you do this) you can clean fish on the ice this year. As for the numbers and sizes I think everyone was dead-on. Good luck.

Fishinhole,

I'm sure you have already been doing this since you are posting, but if it's your first time to LOW, be sure to read the reports especially before heading up. My first-ever trip Jan. 4-6 out of Zippel Bay Resort was a huge success, and a blast, but I'm positive it wouldn't have been possible without all of the awesome posts from all of the great members of "Fishing Minnesota". I can tell you, gold during the day, and glow/pink at night did the trick, jigging and deadsticking. Also plain hooks at night. We fished 22 feet of water. Good luck.

well we wee up there tues - thurs and th bite has slowed way down.gotta work for them.we did manage to get our limits of walleye for the 3 of us but like i said the bite is very slow.just a typical middle of jan bite.2 more weeks and its game on.

Thanks for all the replies heading up there 17-20 just wanted to make sure and as always you guys help everytime!

thanks for the info fellas, mnhunter you mentioned in 2 more weeks game on, we are going up the 15 -19 in feb. only the 2nd time going up and last time was 2 years ago when the water was so cloudy and fishing wasnt the best, is is usally better in the middle of feb?

i have noticed that the water was prety clear last time we were up there.we were in 18ft.i would give it atleast another week or 2 before the bite is on again.i see we got a cold front moving in next week.that wont stop me tho i just like to go up there al lthe time fish biting or not.i do manage to get a few.

Hi guys, I am also a first timer on LOW. I am planning a first ever trip and wondering about resorts, houses and accomodations. I am thinking of 2 possible scenarios:

1) Staying in a cabin and using resort roads and portables to fish.

2) Renting a sleeper and toughing it out on the lake for a couple of nights.

I like option number 1 but any advise or recommendations as far as what resort is better for which from you guys would be extremely valuable. I have to also comment that reading this particular forum is great. All business with very little fluff. Awesome!! thx

well there r plenty of resorts around.staying on the lake isnt bad i think thats the way togo.unless you guys like to watch tv at night but who needs that lol.i refer to stay out on the ice myself.as for resorts i go to zipple bay all the time great ppl great place.if you do get a sleeper the reosrt does have showers you can use.if it was me i would rent a sleeper and bring up the portables.

each option has its pros and cons. Its always nice to comeback to a warm cabin. However the resorts usually have the house ready for you, and put you on the fish. Alot of the resorts have day houses also. they bring you out in the morning pick you up at night and bring you back to a nice warm cabin. If its your first time this is the option i would choose. Just check with some of the resorts they all take pretty good care of you.hope I helped some. If you want to go to the angle Jakes is very good. Big mike will put you on the fish.

Guys,

Thanks for your input. Zipple does look like a first class operation for sure. I like the cabin idea for the shear comfort standpoint. I have stayed in a sleeper only once on Mille Lac and I think they were using the term "sleeper" pretty loosely. As memory serves I think I managed to get a nap at some point during the night. I do remember dragging my sleeping bag down to the floor to escape the inferno of the top bunk..:)

zipple bay has new redone sleepers.and 3/4 of then r brand new.when i rented i didnt mind sleeping on the top bunk cause i brought a battery operated fan and that wokred very well,i have 2 of them in my sleeper and 2 in my camper /day house.

My first trip also. What is the hot bait? I'll be out of ballards early next week fish one day with them and then going to brave the weather and use the portable Tues.. Any suggestions on depth for northerns and rigs?

I've been to LOW almost every year twice a year for the past 5 years or so. GLOW RED! Bukshots work very well. Gold is also good, or so I've been told. But I outfished my boss two years in a row with glow red 2-1. He was [PoorWordUsage], kinda funny. Also for your dead stick, try to get emerald shiners, they will swim all day! Usually they don't make it twenty minutes, if they are lucky! If you are heading up on sleds, head up to the reefs up north. It's a 25 mile hike, but it is well worth it. The only place I have ever caught 100 plus walleyes in a day plus perch, sauger and don't forget about the big [PoorWordUsage] pout! It's a lot of fun up there. Good luck and good fishin'! Bring lots of bait!!!

fishing with out a bobber on it and just let the minnow do all the work just let the rod sit there.= dead stick

HI; We were up the first part of the week,out of Zippel Bay and had our limit in 1 day. They will take great care of you on all ends. Yes sleeping on the ice is great. There new sleepers are great form what we hear. We have our own 5 Star Fish House. What a great way to go.

HI; We were up the first part of the week,out of Zippel Bay and had our limit in 1 day. They will take great care of you on all ends. Yes sleeping on the ice is great. There new sleepers are great form what we hear. We have our own 5 Star Fish House. What a great way to go.