Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King_Fisher

Tip ups for pike!! HELP

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys, just wondering where a person can go for some tip up action. I am going to be taking my nephew out (10 years old) and he has never caught a northern bigger than a pound. Would only keep 1 or 2 for pickling, otherwise it's all CPR from there. I live in the west metro so anywhere on this side would be perfect.

Hey King_Fisher, if you haven't already, check out the DNR Lakefinder. There are plenty of lakes in the west metro that will yield some pike action, especially if you're not choosy about size!

I suggest Little Long Lake, near mound. Good numbers, some big. Its a long skinny lake with a big weed flat on both ends, extremely deep everywhere else. Fish either end of the lake right outside the weedline, maybe 1 tipup on the weeds. I would lean towards the side opposite of the launch. Also, a little north would be Lake Martha and Charlette, these also have big numbers in them and you should get a flag. Good Luck.

Being that your from Plymouth I would hit up the weedlines of medicine or minnetonka. There are plenty of pickling sized pike in medicine, while at minnetonka you might get a 10+ pounder.

Thanks guys. I have been on medicine twice now and not had any luck. Just a bunch of perch on my dead stick and no flags. I know it's not my presentation either because I have done fine in past years. Maybe I'll give Long a try.

Hey kingfisher - I was out on the Seaton Channel (off of shoreline dr) this last weekend and pulled up a 33 inch 9.4lb northern. I was out there two years ago and brough in 32", 34" and 28" northern. There are some decent fish in there. We only had one flag last weekend in 4 hours but the panfish kept us busy. Have to be there early in the morning though. Brendt-Northern.jpg

What lake is that on?

Part of Lake Minnetonka. On Shoreline Drive near the town of Spring Park. Just south of Harrison's Bay. Check out the DNR Lake finder.

Cool thanks, it would be great to have catch some panies while were waiting for the flag.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE FISH, THATS A GREAT LOOKING SWEATSHIRT. A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT THE BRONCO HAT ON A GUY WEARING A BADGER HOODIE.

Hey king Fisher.....you should also look into Maple Lake out by Buffalo. I have never ice fished it...but this summer we were out there for a bass league and I must have caught 20 nice Northerns in about a 6 hour span. All of them were 3-8 pounds. Just a thought....but I would bet a steak sandwich a flag would go up on a day fish at that lake.

Let me explain. I lost my normal winter hat, had to pull out the Bronco hat. (I am a Bronco fan). The sweatshirt gets worn every weekend that I fish. I put on a different one once this year and got shut out. Since then I have worn it and not gotten shut out. Why Wisconsin...Steve and Barry's for $7 that is why. Figured a little bit of fish guts would look good on it! grin.gif

Ineed to get one of those sweatshirts!!