• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are the Walleyes?

I have been fishing a smaller lake in the area and am having a hard time finding the eyes? Any ideas this time of the year? I have tried deep and shallow, maybe I have been too aggressive as I have been using jigs and no plain hooks. Any info helps.

I too am having a hard time this year. I have fished Gull several times in several different areas. The best I did was north of Ernies past all the perm shacks. Six small eye's one night but the bite was short lived. Fast-n-furious from just before sunset till just before dark, 30 minutes at most. I just take my GPS and find a point or steep break and start fishing away from people. I have made two trips to Mille Lacs and not one walleye yet. When I fish walleyes I always jig with one rod and use a set-line with my other rod. When the walleyes did bit for me on Gull they seemed to like the Blue Fox, perch collered rattlin spoon. Plain red hook is my favorite for my set-line but like I said I am not hammeren the fish this year neither.

I have had much better luck (size and numbers) shallow. I fished deep the first couples times and then I moved up into 10-16 feet, and my luck turned. Bottom pounding with a Lindy Flyer has been good, some days I use the jig to call them in, and then they will eat the shinner on a plain hook. With the set line, I have found that placing a small split shot 3-4 inches above the shinner will get you a lot more bites. Keep trying, hope this helps.

PS: Late night, your not the only one having trouble with Mille Lacs, I have been out there 4 times and probably caught 4 walleyes total:(

I think that everyone gets into a funk once in a while. I know that it happens to me sometimes. I'll be out and can't get a sniff when others are just whacking them. I think that if you bounce around enough eventually you'll run into a few. I'm a strong believer that if you find active fish you will catch them. Most ice fishing tackle is pretty similar. Jigging spoons are jigging spoons. Just make sure that when you are out there run two lines with differing set ups. One with a set line and a plain minnow and one jigging set up. At least you will be able to judge the mood of the fish. Plus a flasher unit of any kind is a must. Just keep trying and you'll get into them. If nothing else you got some of the bad spots out of the way.

Jason Erlandson

Walleye location varies alot depending on the type of lake you are fishing and the weather pattern. I am looking for the next 2 evenings between 3:30 and 6 pm to produce better than average if the weather holds. Try getting away from the crowd, be quiet, fish your lure slowly from the top of the ice down, down size your presentation, and good luck.

Thanks for the help. I think I may be a little aggressive and not finding the right spots yet. I am staying away from the crowds but I'll keep plugging away. This weekend was slow again but I'll figure it out somehow.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.