• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CHisago Lake Driving Conditions

Hi, I was wondering how the driving conditions are on Chisago? I am looking at putting out my permanent this weekend. Has Frankies plowed their road yet (I will call them Friday for an update)? I was out last weekend and found about a foot of ice pretty consistantly, where I checked. Saw larger trucks on the channel and a mix of cars out by the A-Frame. I am just trying to see if others are now driving out and are seeing 1/2 ton trucks, and agree with the consistant 12" of ice, etc. I know it is always a risk on the ice. Thanks for any info and good luck out there!!

Gurk- If its my truck.. I'm not out there yet... I have found too many spots of 8" ice still.. I am not aware of any roads plowed yet.

I have seen trucks out there though.

I was out on the south end of chisago this past monday evening. I walked out and fished, and I'm with Deitz on this one...I wouldn't drive my truck out there. There was only 10" of ice where I had my holes and the top part of that was the frozen, white slush stuff. As far as plowed roads out there...I don't think you need them....it was easy walking as most of the ice surface had little snow and things were pretty firm (slush froze). But maybe that's just on the south end where there has been a lot of traffic....but it was that way quite a ways east as I walked towards the eagles nest. Be carefull and know what you're driving on. Can you dump your house on the lake and ask someone to drag it out with a fourwheeler?

Didn't a truck and house just go through about a week ago or so???

I will stick to ATV.

Thats what I was going to say Elusive, a truck and fish house just went into the drink about a week ago, they had 6" of ice there, I was on a lake and had 7" in one hole and 14" in another that was only 2 feet away, no truck/car for me. I dont want to endanger anyone who would be trying/willing to save me. Ill stick to foot wheeler or other small modes of transportation, ANyone got a GEO? LOL j/k

ShawnnyB

Thanks all! I think I have heard enough. I will try and drop the house on shore and pull it out with the ATV. I appreciate all the info. Good Fishing!!

Don't worry, your still going to see lots of people willing to risk their lives for a few fish. Maybe at some point this season the ice will be driveable, but when you drive a Suburban you tend to make sure! Good Luck, ole

Better Safe Than Sorry

any new reports on ice thickness and driveability? I'm thinking about pulling the new wheeled house out this weekend for its maiden voyage....IF there's enough ice, that is.

Gurkster...did you get your house out this past weekend? I was up fishing Saturday afternoon there and the fish were biting good. I was on about 13" of ice but I did find a spot that only had 10" yet. But this cold weather should help the ice out eh?! \:\)

Yes, I put the house out without any problems. I am a bit by myself south of the main group out from the A-Frame and still North of the Eagles Nest. I did well there in the past, but over the weekend I had many lookers and few takers. Glad to hear that you got into them. I was a little disappointed, as I had young kids with me, so I was just looking for action, but we will try again. After watching about a dozen or so 1/2 ton trucks and suburbans drive out I did the same. I drove out off the dead end road access that Frankies plows (when needed) and had no problems in my 1/2 ton truck (this access is South of the channel). Like I say larger trucks also used that road. I found ice to be 16" - 20" where I was.

I am in the 6'x10' OSB house with the Fishing MN decal on the door - stop by and say hi if you are out in the area.

Sounds good Gurkster. If its not too hard to move your house around you might want to move to the south end more if your action doesn't pick up. We fished in the main group of houses just out from 83 and caught fish all afternoon...saw a few bass caught on tip ups as well.

I drove down ontothe lake myself today. From where Frankies plows the road normally. I was just checking things out. I have a 1/2 ton truck, and I watched a 1/2 truck drive towards me from out in the big grouped area of houses.

Sunday Night i was out on Lindstrom by the dinner bell I drove out there. There was 17" of ice every where i had drilled through.

Was out on the south bay yesterday. Got to try out my dads new CanvasCraft 8x8 insulated portable house. no problems with heat thats for sure. fishing was pretty decent lots of pannies and a 17' bass. 17' of ice where we were set up.Drove out in a 1/2 ton truck lots of others out not much snow pretty easy to get around.

Hey Dave!! Its Eion! We need to get out fishing soon! Ive had a great winter so far and we still havent been out fishing together! just registered on here, so hopefully I'll hear from you.

hey eion! 'bout time you registered! i'm without the use of my left pinky right now, so no caps...

unless you've changed your phone #, i still have it. this weekend, i'm heading up to ely with the new house for the burntside bash (check ely duluth forum) but when i'm back in town, we really need to hit the ice! portable or perm, either way, tho fishing in the perm may spoil ya grin.gif

btw, the crappie in my pic was caught on mille lacs this past fall. 14.5" caught on a 6" jointed rap of all things!

Nice mille lacs? not your typical crappie lake! but what a pig! Hope to see you at the bash! we will get out soon after! I just have to see your wheeler!

Was out yesterday. Got out about 4 - midnite on the south bay. Bite was kinda slow at times, Really good at others. 18.5" of ice.

Had a good crappie and sunny bite last nite in 11 fow,by the eagles nest. 22" of ice. saw a big northern and a walleye on the aqua-view too. Actually had some sort of fish come up 1 of our holes(buddy said it looked like a dogfish) we were fishing out of. it came up stuck its head out turned around and headed back down.

There are a lot of dog fish in Chisago. I see them cruising the shallows all the time in the early spring when I am out fishing crappies and gills. Caught many a 5+ on my ultra light gear out there, so it wouldn't surprise me at all. I will be out fishing Chisago again soon, probably the 16th, or some night before then.

Was out there last saturday again. 23+" of ice. Fishing was pretty slow. lots of lookers and hardly any takers.

Bp- I had the same thing as you.. I moved and found some very active fish!

Was out there last weekend and had the same thing. Decided to move to a new spot in about 14 fow and left with my limit of crappies and some nice gills. Was very impressed had multiple crappies over 10 inches

I made it out there this past Sunday (2/2) and the fish were cooperating for my dad and me. Brought home two limits of sunfish for the families to eat. They tasted really good. Got those two limits in a matter of 4 hours....Fishing in 9 feet of water. 22" inches of ice where we were fishing.

Only had two small crappies, and they were put back right away. Lots of good sized Northerns being caught all around us.