• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2008 bowhunting plans?

bmc

My dad called me tonight and our reservations are made for a late October deer hunt in SW North Dakota!!! Now all we need to do is get our tags drawn, which is not a problem according to the guide. Man, I can't wait to get back out there and break my mule deer "cherry". A couple years ago I had a real nice 4x4 at 30 yards but couldn't get a shot because of the terrain.

I'm also waiting to hear if I drew a non-resident turkey tag for WI. I'm keeping my finger's crossed as I've got a serious case of venengance for ol' tom turkey after last year's hunt! Other than that, spring rough fish spearing, mid summer buffalo fish spearing, and of course whitetails around home in the fall. I was also looking into a "canoe in and camp" type bow hunt for whitetails around here, but that may get put on the '09 to do list. Although not bowhunting related, I'll be spending 3 days in early October at the Delta Marsh in Mantioba gunning waterfowl. I'm hoping to get an awesome pintail for the wall on that hunt. How long till fall???

Brian

Best of luck on your hunt!... Good to be excited so far in advance! I too cant wait till season again next year.

I just bought into a land lease for hunting and cant wait to start the scouting and such.

Thanks Deitz. Yeah my wife just kind of rolled her eyes and probably was thinking, "How long till he's on this trip, so then I can stop hearing about it." LOL I think the spring is an awesome time to scout and am planning on doing the same where I want to do the "canoe in and camp" bow hunt. A new lease, that has to be exciting and it's always fun to scout some new terrain. Good luck with it!!!

Brian

Saturday I'll be moving a couple of stands and trimming shooting lanes for this fall. It's never to early to start. The season never really ends. Only nine months to go.

I will continue to scout some public land when I get back to school that I will be hunting again next year. I'm also going to be looking into trying to get an inner city tag in a town close to school. I've seen some nice deer while bass fishing around this city so I thought I'd look into it. I'm also looking into getting a new bow as well, but I may have to wait untill this spring or summer. Can't wait for next year!

I am thinking about trying to make a trip out west and maybe do an antlerless elk hunt. It sounds like some places are pretty easy to get those type of tags. I know nothing about it and so I'm sure it won't happen, but who knows.

I'm also hoping to get a turkey with my bow this year. I've been at about 30yds more than once, with less than idea shot opportunities, but maybe this will be the year.

Next year will try to get that buck 8pts or better. It will be my 3rd year waiting. One day it will payoff. Will try to acquire permission on private land around home so I won't have to travel far. Maybe this year is when I get my monster in Ripley.

Powerstroke, I feel your pain on the 30 yd turkey!!! Last year, I missed the same bird on day 2 and 2x in less than 5 minutes on day 4, all at 30-35 yds. I think the screen on the blind was screwing things up, yep that's my excuse!!! I'm hopin for sweet revenge this spring.

Cooter, is this your first trip for muleys? Is it spot and stalk, or stand/blind hunting? This will be our second trip to western ND for muleys. Last time, we were just north of Medora and went 2 for 4, so we were very happy, especially being it was all spot and stalk. The week after we were there a guy arrowed a 200+ inch and his buddy got the 170" that sharptails ruined my stalk on. It sounds like the place we're going to this year you can spot and stalk and there's some spots for treestands and ground blinds. I like that spot and stalk, just fun to try something different.

Brian

I'll be applying for WY elk again next year. Also, I hope to make it out to Western ND for a mulie hunt or two. Then, I'll try sneak out closer to home as much as I can for whitetails. Who knows about the elk hunt (not too likely to draw again), the mulie hunt will partially depend on the elk draw. However, I'll definitely be hunting closer to home some.

This coming year I plan to take my (then) four year old little boy along and see how he does in the woods- could be interesting. One goal for this coming fall will be to get some deer close to him. He'd really get a kick outta that! If I could get a shot off with him around, it'd make my season!!!

bmc - I was out there this past fall but rifle hunted. I'm not sure if we are gonna hunt the same area of a different one. With bow I would guess it would be a mix of spot and stalk and stand hunting. We saw some dandies last fall, we went 2 for 4 although everyone had shots at nice bucks.