• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mayhew Lake

Riceisnice

Was out on Mayhew tonight. Caught a good number of crappies and one perch. Are you guys that are catching the sunnies on the far side of the landing because I was on the close side and only caught crappies.

The sunnies will be mixed in with the crappies. Some holes will have them while others will not for unknown reasons. I had a hole yesterday that I caught 10 craps in a row out of and a hole twenty feet away I caught only keeper suns (no depth or structure difference between the two). The sunnies will usually be very near the bottom and the crappies are usually 2 feet off the bottom.

I must be in the wrong spot that you guys are fishing. Last time I was out, I just caught 8 inch walleyes and small perch. Is there many houses out there now? Is anyone getting some northerns on tip ups?

I'm heading out tomorrow morning...what can I expect? Is the bite decent enough in the mornings on this lake?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I heard you guys talk about this lake. I used to live in Cloud and hit this lake all the time. I haven't heard anyone talking about "my spot" on that lake. Found it by accident one day. Went out spearing, drilled my holes and took the block out, set up the house and BAM! 8ft of water and right on a small rock pile! Luck of the draw I guess but I saw more eyes that day than I care to tell you about. The spot is about 10'x10' but you can catch eyes 24-7 if you can find it!

8 ft of water kind of limits the lake. Care to give any more details?? The only walleyes that I have caught on the lake this winter have been around 8 inches long though I haven't been targeting them. Were you able to find "keepers" consistently??

Please do post up GPS coordinates because that 10'x10' spot would be holding roughly 32 houses by lunchtime tomorrow. Sure would be funny to see how fast the cyber scouters would be all over that spot.

Flowage,

Kinda makes me want to come up with some false GPS coordinates just to see what happens!

Cut the lake in half from north to south. It's on the eastern side of that line.

ha ha ha....Ya surprised how much pressure that lake gets, you can always hook into some fish. I was wondering how the northern bite is on that lake. I always see people putting tip ups out, but never see any flags. I wonder how many houses got off the lake since the snow came???

Does anyone fish this lake at night? I've been out a few times later at night (after 10 PM) with little to no success. Are there good spots for night fishing for walleyes or crappies? How about early morning? Any help would be appreciated.

A few years ago there was a great bite from 4:30-6:30am, but the crappies were nice then and I haven't had much luck since that year during the early morning time frame. When I was a kid we used to fish it at night in the summer for bullheads....never a dull moment. Nothing like sitting on shore with a flashlight pointed at your bobber so you could see it, only to pull in a bullhead!! Good times though.

I was out there a week ago Thursday so this isn't very recent, but I drilled holes from 20' all the way up to 8' and the only place I marked fish was at 8'. I had my boys (6&7) along so I set up shop in 8' and we had all we could handle for 2 straight hours with 6" perch. We did get one that was pushing 11" and we got a 15" walleye. Good action, but not the size we were hoping for.

I hope everyone is practicing catch and release and are taking only what they can eat...seems that there is a craze going on out there. Its important to sustain fisheries, especially when we can now fish throughout the all the seasons with tremendous success now a days! Good luck fishing.

I hear you huntfish, lots of game hogs out there in the winter seems like. And they can destroy a fishery in a hurry if the word gets out, especially on a small body of water.

Especially, with one gentlemen mentioning of a rock pile that is out there where walleyes have been there consistently...this is one thing i would never say on here. Small lakes are a gem and have a small ecosystem and flowagetamer is right in saying that it doesnt take much to destroy it. Got to take pride taking care of our local natural resources!

Eat at your own risk, it is a modified farm pond and if you want fish that bad be my guest but its up to you

I've eaten fish from this lake and I happen to like the new tail I'm starting to grow :-) The fish are fine. Caught 6 small perch and my 2 year old daughter donated an orange ice scoop for someone to find bottowm-fishing.

Quote:
my 2 year old daughter donated an orange ice scoop for someone to find bottowm-fishing.

There is worse stuff on the bottom of that lake than that, so don't feel bad.

Well my grandpa and dad use to fish it back in the day, and grandpa told me when they put the dam at the creek it really held back alot of the water and flooded some farm machinery that the farmer never moved or had time to, including a combine. Another buddy of mine who grew up just north of Rice told me the exact same story of a combine or 2 on the bottom of the lake. I wouldnt be suprised if they were some old antique cars or trucks too, along with a farmer's rock piles on the bottom. As suggested before that guy who found a 9 foot rock pile that was not that big is probably one of them. Not many people know that the lake was just a farm pond before the dam was put in.

Yeah I know a family that owns the land on the northen end of the lake if it ever dries up again. I think it was there dad or something that left stuff sitting there when it got dammed up. Might need to ask them where the rock piles use to be. \:\/

• 3 weeks later...

Is it still safe to drive out on this lake? Where are the panfish biting now? I haven't been out ina few weeks but might head out Sunday.

Thanks!

still safe to drive out, just watch the access areas this time of year...with the snow melting and running into the lake the access can get washed out sometimes.

Your guess is as good as anyone's...get out there and search for them and you'll have better success than if you just follow the crowds.

I was out on Clearwater and Pearl yesterday. The accesses on Clearwater were in a lot better shape than Pearl, but there was a lot of water on the ice and my guess is by middle of next week, vehicle traffic will be very limited. The access on Pearl is all broken up and about 6 inches of water on top of the ice. A lot of water is running into open holes. I found a couple spots where there were 4-5 holes closely drilled together that were probably 8 inches holes but they were now about 12-14 inches holes so be very careful with travel on any lake this time of year. There was definitely plenty of ice, but the water will cause the condition to dwindle rapidly!