Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random guy

Crappie explosion

20 posts in this topic

The crappies are starting to show up! Tonight I took off with the portable and tried a few spots and tricks and ended up tipping over some dandy nice crappies. They responded well to small jig presentations, mostly Genz Worms, colored hooks and the infamous small Demon in glow green and glow red tipped with minnows.

For the last few days the crappies have been hitting jigs on the bottom with just the right amount of finesse. Tonight they came unglued on anything in the water. Very aggressive biters chasing baits up to five feet off the bottom. It was actually a bit of a crisis trying to lift jigs to pick up crappies passing high on the Marcum then containing the flopping crappie on the ice while trying to drop the other rod to pick up the walleyes nosing up from the bottom. Truly one of those days a guy remembers, crappie flopping on the ice held away from the hole with your feet while trying to carefully handle and measure walleye with your hands all while the Marcum taunts you with bright red bars of other fish going under your feet and tangled up mess.

Here are a couple of the fish from tonight.

crappiespp2.jpg

Waskish Minnow Station Sleepers

These things are unpredictable this year! I've heard many different reports on how they've been biting!

Awesome post and nice picture. Sounds like a ton of fun. You must be living right!

Jon, looking at that picture it almost looks like you died and went to heaven- with a slab in each hand.

Nice report, gets the blood pumpin.

Is the late night bite still valid?

Originally Posted By: Mike412
These things are unpredictable this year! I've heard many different reports on how they've been biting!

It changes everyday. Each morning I wake up and go check on the clients and everyday its a little different story with the same ending. They are catching fish. Sometimes its a hour long sundown rush, sometimes its a 10pm to 2am bite off the bottom and some days they pick up a few fish every hour all day long. One thing is consistent, guys on the lake fishing are doing much better then the guys that stayed home because they heard the bite was slow. ;\)

OH man Jon... Hate it when that situation happens. Absolutely hate it!

BTW... the rabid raspberries will be showing up soon. ;\)

Originally Posted By: hanson

BTW... the rabid raspberries will be showing up soon. ;\)

How many? Just two or is the whole berry patch coming? grin.gif

can you drive anywhere on the lake now or are there some spots with marginal ice?? coming up on fri morn going out of hillmans.

You should be fine but you also never know. Be very careful and pick your path carefully as ice is still ice and very unpredicable.

The snow will be more of a hassle then anything, just enough of it to be a pain.

Its great to see that the monster slabs are showing up.

Originally Posted By: hondavxr
Its great to see that the monster slabs are showing up.

Not quite monsters yet. Tonights fish went from 14 1/2 down to 13 inches with a few sizes in the middle.

Another thing I noticed as I was cleaning fish all crappies and walleye but one had empty stomachs and digestive tracts. So these fish have been in no feed mode for awhile, guessing they are hungry and wil chow down hard when they really start to feed.

so Jonny, wanna tell us how many you ended up catching?

Quote:
so Jonny, wanna tell us how many you ended up catching?

I caught enough for two meals, thats enough for me. Figure I didn't need to fill buckets just because I could. Finding them is where it is at for me, catching is just a bonus.

Lets put it this way, if I would have stayed their past sundown it could have been a limit.

Jon,

Since you're a pike guy, I take a small glow green or glow red demon as being a size 4. grin.gif

what was the depth on that catching spree you were on?

Man you're killing me Jon!

I guess I could do a quick day trip. Although my wife is working this weekend and I would be a very unpopular guy if I went up without her and got into the slabs. Although, catching a bunch of slabs sure would make me feel good. \:D

Decisions, Decisions.... crazy.gif

Jon, thanks for the great reports and this is a positive upswing from the earlier slow reports. My wife and I are heading up tomorrow and fishing URL 2 days and LOW 1 day. Look for the rig pictured in Avatar and we have trakcs on it now. Also have new Clam Yukon so we can be a little more portable.

im wanna make some plans to come up and rent a sleeper.which resort you outa of?