• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

anyone getting any walleyes on Birch Lake? iv been trying with no luck. i hear they are in 18-20 fow..is this true? caught a few pike the other day in about 6 fow on a jig and chub during the day but no eyes at night. any info would be great..thanks.

mike

Mike,

I went fishing for 2 days out on Birch about two weeks ago. I set up in an area that I have always done real well on day biting walleyes during mid winter. I caught 1 walleye in two days! Really weird because historically, it had always been a good producer. Not even any pesky perch around which was really weird. Good Luck out there.

Justin

justin,

what kind of water do you fish on Birch this time of year? How deep? Rocks or Weeds? Im new to the ice fishing game..any help would be great...iv still yet to get my first eye out of the water. going out tomorrow all day..hope to get my first!

thanks,

mike

I tend to fish some of the deeper channels out there that are over 20 FOW. Like I said, though, it didn't work too good for me the last time I was out there. You can find Walleyes that bite all day long out there, but you need to track them down. Bare hook and a fat head or a small glow jig works well and so does gold or yellow jigging spoons tipped with a chunk of minnow. Let me know how you did out there.

Justin

didnt do good at all....was out from 9 to 5...caught two pike.. one after another at about 4...thats all the action i got..no walleye...i was fishing 15-20 fow..jig n minnow..nothing..moved around a lot..still nothing. still on the hunt for my first eye.

thanks for the info.

mike

Well, keep trying and that's all you can do. Things should pick up out there for ya. I was in the same boat as you here about 2 weeks ago. I think the last time I went out there, I got totally skunked-not even a perch and the time before that, I caught one Walleye and one perch all day. I think it helps if the sun is really bright with that dark water. Seems like my better days out there come when there is steady high pressure and bright sun. Keep me posted!

Justin