• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FM Metro GTG II...

It is set for the French Regional Park on Sunday. SOunds like Perkins in the AM and Harty's bait if needed. Wayzata bait is also nearby if you're coming in from the south or west.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hanson

• DTro

• Jeremy airjer W

• Sandmannd

OK I'm gonna try to make it. I haven't been to any other get togethers, but they sound fun. If I can come I will meet up at the lake. I have only fished Medicine once and was skunked. Is there any secret lure or bait we should bring.

Originally Posted By: fishrman
I have only fished Medicine once and was skunked. Is there any secret lure or bait we should bring.

A skunking shouldn't happen on that lake so we'll have to refine your approach a little bit.

For lures, I would recommend anything small (size 10-12). There are all sorts of companies and lures I could recommend but the key is small lures. I carry JB Lures, Lindy, Custom Jigs, and Little Atom products with me all the time for my panfishing needs.

What I've been having tremendous success on around the metro is the Maynards Tackle Flutter Bug. Its a small vertical jig with little spinners attached to the jig eye. The Bluegills have been tearing it up. I tip this with 1 or 2 Eurolarvae for bait.

When it comes to the crappies, I still prefer a plastic and my go-to is Little Atom's Optic Stealth (size 12) in Pink/White w/ a White Nuggie plastic. Deadly! The Little Atom stuff is impossible to find in the metro so another lure readily available locally would be a Custom Jigs Ratso (size 4 or 6) with a Pink jighead and White plastic body.

The other key is going to be a sensitive rod and/or spring bobber. I feel you really need the spring to detect a lot of these bites.

I'm heading up to Thorne Bros. today to pick up a couple of the flutter bugs. Hanson sold me on tackle with "flair" at the prior lake gtg! grin.gif

You guys still planning on going? I figure I would ask, seeing its going to be below 0 temps.

The F.M. kid’s event has been canceled and I might be able to make it on Sun. now. I have to check the schedule, but I might be able to make it.

As far as I know we'll be out there. I picked up some flutterbugs and some Pline flouroice at thorne bros. yesterday and can't wait to get them in the water!! Besides we are Minnesotans 0 degrees is nothin! crazy.gif

I want to thank Hanson and everyone that I met out at the Prior Lake GTG for putting that one on (that thread disappeared). That was my first FM GTG and me and my girlfriend had a great time. A special thanks to those who dragged me and Erin from the "dead sea" out to the "honey hole" on their snowmobiles. After only catching one 3" perch all morning, limiting out on those nice 7-9" crappies saved the day.

Anyhow, I am planning on coming out on Sunday and I'll probably be bringing a friend. I doubt we'll make the breakfast, though.

See you there,

Randy

(formerly Fishing_Rookie_123)

I'm still planning on heading out and I believe Kingfisher is as well. Bring your portables and you'll stay warm.

Shack, it would be great to get to meet you out there if you can make it. Randy, always good to see you out. You can show me how to catch those crappies again.

Sorry will not make this one. Me and the wife were planning on come but the weather is forceing me to take her out the the fish house instead. Have fun and stay warm.

I am planning to make this event....although I will stay away from the F%^&^%&$^# Perkins.

I will be out there solo at this point and will have an extra seat in the portable and snowmobile.

I think I'll make it up for this one, cold temps or not. I held off until now as I didn't have concrete plans for the weekend. Just so I've got this straight: Perkins at 55 and 494 at 6:30. Then 8:00 AM at French Park on the N side of Medicine Lake. I should have an open seat in my portable if someone needs a retreat from the cold. My question is: will Harty's be open early, or should we get bait on Sat?

Looking forward to seeing posters (and non-posters alike) out there, and I really want to hear the story about this Perkins waitress. It's had a couple weeks to ferment, so it should be REALLY good by now.

Originally Posted By: McGurk
Looking forward to seeing posters (and non-posters alike) out there, and I really want to hear the story about this Perkins waitress. It's had a couple weeks to ferment, so it should be REALLY good by now.

Oh dude!!! Thats why I HAD to have another GTG! grin.gif What do they say... what happens at Perkins stays at Perkins. LOL! You have to come to the GTG to find out the story, we aren't talking online about it. grin.gif

So I here its going to be cold this weekend? Ummm... yeah. grin.gif For a guy who has spent many weekends fishing Upper Red Lake & Lake of the Woods in January, we aren't cold yet! Not even close!

I apologize to those who wanted to watch the football games. I wasn't thinking. Once the duck hunting opener starts, I stop paying close attention to any sports until baseball spring training.

Like we did on Prior Lake, I'll bring my little Propane Grill with and will have it out on the ice this time. Bring some brats, burgers, chicken or whatever and feel free to use it.

I plan on popping out to Medicine tomorrow after work to check ice thickness. We can all drive out if I'm satisfied or I'll be taking my sled on Sunday if I have any concern. Either way... the walk out isn't "too" bad either.

Chris, if you want to stop in at the baitshop I can show you on a map where the ice use to be thinner, also, if it is helpful to others I will open the shop at 7:00. I too am interested in what the heck happened at Perk's with "that waitress", and I am not going to French to find out. You can enter the lake at the baitshop and drive up to the north end from there. Plan on finding anywhere from 16"-19" almost everywhere with 13" out in front of each point. The thinner spots are extremely isolated and not a big concern any longer. My confidence has increased quite a bit, for whatever that is worth.

Lakeman

Originally Posted By: Joe Harty
My confidence has increased quite a bit, for whatever that is worth.

Its worth A LOT!

I'll pop by tomorrow about 5pm to say Hi and then go check out a few spots. I could probably fill you in on the Perkins story, its pretty good. grin.gif

OK sounds like my brother-in-law and I will be coming. We will meet up at the boat launch. Just to make sure what are the closest cross streets to french park. Thank guys. This will be my first get together. Looking forward to meeting all of you and catchin some fish.

I might make it out with you guys this time around. If I do, I'll see you all bright and early at Perkins! \:\)

P.S. If I show up, I'll be lookin' to fill one of those open seats that were mentioned earlier(should there still be one available)...no ice house this season

I may be able to make it on Sunday. Is Medicine clear enough to use a camera? Also, can anyone give me directions from the St. Paul area to French Park?? I haven't lived here very long and I want to be able to find this place. Thanks.

GoggleEye

I wish I could make it on sunday, but I'll be out there monday instead. Wish I could finally get to meet a lot of you.

Goggle - The easiest directions are:

169 to Rockford Rd.

Go west on Rockford Rd.

After you pass Zachary Lane, the park will be on your left. If you hit NW Blvd, you've gone to far.

Go all the way through the park down to the lake/boat landing and there you are!

Good luck sunday everyone. Leave some fish for me on monday. A report wouldn't be bad either!

Quick question: I'm assuming we're talking about the southern Harty's location, right? I think I'll try to get to Perkins, but I don't want to promise anything yet as Sat night might be a late one.

Blacksportsman, you've got a warm chair in my house if you'd like, any fellow JAWS fan is welcome. Purple Otter Cabin and a black Toyota truck w/ topper.

If you can't find that Tundra look for the red quad cab. You'll now its mine when you see it!! grin.gif

Which location is the bait store at? N or S.

I unfortunately won't be able to make my prefish mission tonight and tomorrow won't work either. \:\(

Sorry Lakeman... will have to stop in another time.