Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Royce Aardahl

Northerns

4 posts in this topic

Thinking about coming up to try some tips ups for CPR on some northerns. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan to me. Make sure you have a legal quick strike rig, some sucker minnows and the ability to fish 5 feet down in 12 feet of water. wink.gif

P.S. Your avatar freaks me out.

Thanks Jon, that's my baby picture grin.gif I ususally just use a plain hook in front of the top fin. Never have done the quick strike. May have to check it out. In ND we use a smelt with a trebble hook through the belly to the top and put a fathead on one hook. wink.gif

The pike were snapping early this week. Helped a guy 150 yards away pull up a 36 incher on a jig and minnow, then got my own 40 incher on a rattle wheel 2 hours later. Next day caught a 42 incher while fishing for walleye. I wasn't targeting pike, but it sure was fun to fight those pigs (all fish were CPR). Good luck, the walleye action was slow but steady.