• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was thinking about bringing the kids out there tomorrow if the ice is in good shape. Does anyone have any info?? Jay R??

Hi zelek, curious if I should know who you are?

Franklin yes have been out but only 2x this year first was day after christmas and last time was this past Saturday. Still some slush out there.

First time out hit 2 spots had decent success on the second spot from 4:30-6:30 in about 22-23ft. Was fishing waldos and managed to ice a few keepers 14-17" range and lost one under the ice 17-19" range at the hole (Angler Error). Marked many fish in that 2 hour period but they bit very light. Simple jigging spoon glow pink BuckShot and Angel Eye was best with minnow head. Whole minnow would not work, and very slight jigging motion. I would leave the spoon motionless until i saw the rod tip start to move and then WHAM set the hook. All the waldos iced had the trebel in the very tip of the jaw.

Last Saturday was not productive at all. I set up late around 4:00pm and moved in a little shallower about 18ft. Marked very few fish and only had 2 solid bites, both of which I think were snotrockets. Never saw either but the way they acted on the flasher and how they hit spelled SNOTROCKET.

My best advice would be get away from the little village in the bay. There many good spots on Franklin just takes a little looking. Franklin can be a difficult and frustrating lake but if you hit the "WaldoMine" the catching can be great with excellent quality. Good Luck

J

Z-Man

I have heard the same thing -- was good early and is slower now. Sounds like every lake right now.

Hey Jay....thanks for responding.

No...we've never met, but I've read a few of your posts over the years and could tell you've spent some time out there. \:\)

I was out there last Sat night too. A buddy & I got set-up late and we only hooked one crappie in a couple of hours.

I was thinking about hanging out for awhile after dark next time out. Have you had much success out there after the sun goes down??

Hey Hit...it can't slow up now. I finally have some time to get out!! cry.gif

zelek,

I would say my best success has been right at sundown and about 1/2 hour - 1 hour after. I have caught a few mid day but generally it's slow or you can find them and seem them on the flasher but they stay TIGHT to the bottom. After the sun goes past the trees or it gets dark BAM the activity starts. From my experience it does not matter if it is a cloudy day or bright and sunny.

J

How's the just before and after dark crappie bite on Franklin? I've been wanting to try it this winter for the first time; anyone got any pointers on where a guy should start for some crappies?

Ohhh...easy now...it's not a very big lake.

We were graphing crappies last weekend but couldn't get any to commit (except that one). Of course that's not surprising as I don't know the first thing about crappie fishing...and I'm not kidding. grin.gif Maybe you should come out and give US some pointers sometime??

Z --

Call me if you get a chance and give me an update -- have been thinking about Franklin as well. Might try it Sunday -- If we get our Pinewood derby cars done. eek.gif

Quote:
-- have been thinking about Franklin as well. Might try it Sunday

are you too good to come fish the GTG with us on sunday now? or are you insecure about only catching 10'ers? ;\)

It was nice to meet you out on the ice yesterday Zelek!! Small world when a guy goes cruising by on his sled turns out to be someone you know from here. Stop by again sometime when you are passing through, or when you are out there fishing.

Eye --

The Z-Man is a good fella, but he has a long way to go on his Derby Car -- or at least that is what I hear. \:\/

Eye -- I was going to take a zip over to see you but I had a sick kid and then it was getting pretty cold by 4 p.m.

Catchin any fish?

Yeah, it was colder than a well diggers, well you get the idea, by the time we left last night. No fish this weekend except for a half dozen or so of those 12"=13" perch. Talked to a guy that I know (who also lives near Hawleywood) coming off the lake on Saturday, he was over in the hole where your house got broken into, and he had a limit of gills and crappies. Nothing real big but he had 20 and 10 respectively.

Nice --

Just hate to leave the house there -- that is the only place I get broken into.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.