Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TipupSprinter

Atv or Snowmobile?

3 posts in this topic

I'm coming up on Jan. 9 and am wondering what the lake conditions are? How much ice is there and how much snow is on the ice? Is it navigatible(sp?) by ATV or should i plan on bring Snowmobiles? I would rather bring the ATV's because of the racks, I can haul more stuff with out having to put in my shack/sled. I can get by with sleds to though, little warmer getting to the spots.

And last but not least. How's the fishing been?

Thanks,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

I'd suggest sleds myself. My atv's are parked in the garage and the sleds are geared to fish. There is quite a bit of snow on the ice, and a fair amount of slush to go with it in areas. Ice thickness is variable depending on where you are as always. Always be conscious of neck down areas in which lay home to current. It is atv or snowmobile traffic only at this point. Fish are biting, but we're not seeing the early traffic due to the limited mobility. What I'm doing is blazing a trail, and coming back to hook up my otter. Rather be safe than sorry ya know! On the positive side when you find the fish you'll likely be catching them all by yourself. Just be cautious!

RD

I just got back from the north arm and would only and I say ONLY reccommend snowmobile travel.