Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crappyman

Don & John's houses

12 posts in this topic

Anyone fish out Don and John's houses. I found them on Roger's website and just looking for some feedback on whether or not I made a good decision. Anything special I need to be sure to bring up?

Had a friend stay with them last year. Houses were nothing special but good guys and very helpful. Bring a fan. You should always bring some kind of fan in any rental. That you way you won't have to fight over who's going to freeze and who's going to fry. Good Luck.

I will be renting from Don & John the 18-20 January '08, and was also curious if anyone on here has used these guys before? Wondering what to expect for fishing success?

I stayed with them on 12/31. Fishing was slow but I don't think it was unique to Don & John's. From what I could tell the south side bite had been fairly slow during the time I was there. I found the shack to be pretty comfortable. The matress pads were good, and the configuration in the 4 person sleeper could allow you to fish while laying down on the bed. I also liked the type of cook stove. It was a "real" two burner as compared to some of the "hot plate" styles I have used in the past. I would ask them if they have moved their houses recently as you could tell they had been in the same place for a while. I would stay with them again. Hope this help.

Mike, I also am going to be using them the end of the January. Does the house come with pots and pans, coffee pot etc? What should I bring that they have not provided or listed on their web site?

I used them last year too, I thought they were great, The beds were comfy as can be expected. The fishing was pretty good, Bring your own pots and pans and whatever cooking utensils you need to eat with for sure. I believe they have a list of what you need to bring and what is provided. I know I'll be staying with them again it was a good experience for me and the woman.

Thanks for the notes. Any suggestions on what to put on the poles during the night to tell me I have a bite? Or do the houses come with rattle reels?

I too will be going up to Don and John's mid-month. Haven't been there before but when I talked to John, he seemed to be very friendly and helpful. I have never rented before so it was nice to get some info on what to expect from him.

As for night bites, I use the Bite Buzzer. It is a U shaped piece of plastic you attatch to the rod with a rubber band and it has a metal contact lever that when the line goes taught sounds a high pitched alarm. I haven't actually used them at night, while sleeping, yet but I have played around with it durring daytime hours on my dead stick and I think(hope) it will be enough to wake me. I know a guy who I work with who has used them in his sleeper on Mille Lacs and he loves them. They go for about $10 a piece.

Stayed at Don and John's 1/4/08 to 1/6/08 had a great time very good service. We had 16 guys staying in their sleepers and all caught fish and had a couple of meals. We did get a bonus fish that a newbie to fishing caught a 45 inch northern. We will be back

Awesome fish, show some pics if you got em.

How do post pictures?