Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunter23

fishing biting in area lakes

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering what the ice was like on some of the lake and what the fishing is like on the lake around the area. I would like to catch some panfish and eyes

Fished W Battle and OT this last weekend. It was a pretty slow weekend for us. The ice was very spotty on Battle with numerous slushy spots. Travel was difficult with a wheeler if you got off the beaten path. I talked to a few people that had luck on OT with perch and croppies on the east end of Battle. Good luck.

thanks for the info mnfishing it is well needed help I have not been out at all this year just trying to find out some info on some of my lakes that I fish

My Iowa friends and I are headed to Ottertail this weekend. I guess a lot of guys are going up to Ottertail Lake and catching a bunch of perch. Everyone here is calling the lake "New South Dakota" because Waubay has slowed down and no one goes there any more. Is the ice safe to drive yet?

It is possible to catch a bunch of perch on Ottertail, but I doubt the quality will be up to Waubay expectations. If you get more than a couple perch over 9 inches in a day, you're doing pretty good on OT.

That's great news! 8 to 9 inch perch is good enough for me and my buddies especially if we can pile them up in the bucket. I got a sharp knife and can clean anything big enough for the deep fryer. Can't wait to get up to Ottertail. How about the 'eyes? Are they biting too?

You will catch at least a few 'eyes on OT almost no matter where you drill a hole. Problem is they are the same size as the perch, 8-9".

Where are you getting that size eyes? Last trip I got a 4" and two 6", I was hoping to step up a size maybe the 8-10" range. I don't know if reproduction is phenomenal or growth is terrible slow. Prob reproduction.

Thanks for the info guys. That's awesome. Just got off the phone with my buddies up there right now and the report is very encouraging to say the least. It sounds like a real ice fishing smorgasbord! Can't wait to get on that charter bus!

Bass Pirate,

Did your buddies give you a report on ice thickness and where they accessed the lake? I am coming up this weekend with a group and we are hoping to be able to drive out.

Maverick,

I keep forgetting to ask but I assume they're driving on. The latest report I got was awesome. I guess they've been pleasantly surprised by the size of their catch too.

basspirate