Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratmn218

chubs

9 posts in this topic

i know the shinners are different from lake of the wood compared to what you would buy in duluth. but how about chubs, will be getting up there late tonight, so was thinking of buying here and put in oxygen bags? also how shallow of morning bite and how deep for afternoon bite? we will be going out of morris point.

SAVE YOUR MONEY ON THE CHUBS THIS IS AN EMERALD SHINNER LAKE THE BITE LATELY IN OUR HOUSES HAS STARTED AS SOON AS THE PEOPLE GET TO THEIR HOUSES AND THATS IN 33 34 FT THE SHALLOW BIT HAS BEEN VERY SPOTTY 18 TO 21 FT WATCH YOUR VEX OUT DEEP ALOT OF WALLEYES BEING CATUGHT 15 FT OFF BOTTOM

In the words of that sage fisherman extrodinaire Dutchman Doug..."Why stop 5 bucks short of a good fishing trip". I always grab a bag of Fatheads to bring along whenever and wherever I'm fishing on the LOTW ice. As for 'Chubs' iffin your talking Creek Chubs or Redtails you won't find 'em up here, Rainbow Dace are availiable at Log Cabin usually.

As Roger mentions on the east side Shiners usually rule the roost, but there are days that other minnows trip their trigger as well or better. West side of lake is a whole different pond and the fishes don't seem so Shiner particular. I shifted my fishing to the westside a bit early this year and it seems about 2 of 3 trips on average the Fatheads are getting more fish than the do Shiners on the deadstick.

Try a live Fathead and a ripped in half or squished Shiner on the same Jig/hook, you can't get your minnow to do that trick iffin you did'nt bring the Fatheads!!

Regards....fiskyknut

Do you guys normally mix your shiners and chubs in the same bucket? Comming up on wed cant wait! my group of 7 staying at Riverbend but roger we will stop by for some of those famous emeralds

Shiners don't like to be mixed with anything. Keep 'em in their own bucket. Drastic temp changes will kill 'em quicker than anything so be carefull when adding lake water to your bucket iffin the bucket water has warmed up in your hut much.

fiskyknut

Hey fisky thanks for the quick reply. Gota luv this website so much good info comming from good people. Ive gone back two years worth of posts, and fisky I really appreciate all the info you and others give.

thanks Dustin

Fisky,

As the relentless attack of the Spiney Waterflea has raised the price of bait up here, I have had to update my line to "don't stop a FEW bucks short of a good fishing trip".

By the way, I think I'm blushing a bit to be quoted by the likes of you. Maybe just a little wind burn though?

I would recommend the aqua-life pellets. A friend of mine added a few to his/mine bait buckets this past weekend and the shinners actually stayed alive. Its ridiculously hard to keep shiners alive and the pellets paid off. In my mind they were well worth it.

I know this is a pain in the --- but a good areator/bucket is worth it's weight in gold....IMHO when you keep air on those shiners/any minnows they seem to catch more fish....c63