• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monster Crappies in East Metro lake

My brother and I went to one of our favorite crappie honeyholes tonight, man did they hit. We limited out, I had (1)15", 14", and (4) in the 12-13.5" range. The lake has always been good for crappies and northern, we just havent seen this much size. We have been fishing it for several years, for some reason it isnt fished the way it could be. I dont have the pictures uploaded yet, but I will post them in the coming days. Before tonight my previous best was a 13", beat that a couple times. A day like today was the reason I fish.

thats pretty good for a local lake. i would keep my mouth shut. loose lips sink ships and get small lakes fished out quickly.

Braging rights? Now I'm going to call everyone I know and go there now. grin.gif

I'm just teasin

Nice, its always fun to get into them like that, not that I would know.... someday wink.gif

I hope you let them go or atleast the majority of them. You complained that the lake hadnt been producing much in the past years but if you keep alot of fish of that caliber you're not doing anything that would help change your situation.

Quote:

Bigtime

What is point of your post?

confused.gif

Maybe you should ask what is the point of your post? Isn't this forum for sharing fishing reports and information? Sounds like a good report to me, did you expect him to name the lake or something?

Bigtime, those are some great crappies for the metro, good job finding them, hopefully there are more to come out of your spot. I have gotten a 13.5" this winter but havn't hit the 14" mark yet. Dont let negative posts drive you away from this site, some people just cant be happy for you and have to make negative posts, jealousy maybe? Cant wait to see the pictures if you can get them up, let me know if you need any help posting them.

what kind of post were you looking for? We hit huge crappies in the pond behind the old Levitz store in Little Canada and here are the gps coordinates so you dont have to waste your time working over a 3 acre body of water looking for fish. i wouldnt give out gps coordinates on this site for mille lacs or LOW much less what sounded like a pond. its good to hear that someone is catching fish and they are at least biting. i think that was the point of the post.

I surely don't expect him to name the lake and I surely wouldn't name the lake if I knew it.

With that said, posting that you caught monster crappies at a no name lake, your personal honeyhole, is in no way, shape, or form a fishing report. It's bragging rights, plain and simple.

If you want fishing reports for any lake other 'tonka don't look at this website. And if you want something more specific than FOW and possibly type of bait look somewhere else.

If you want to know if people are driving out on Lake X or if the launch is open on Lake Y come here, there is great information here.

Congrats on the monster crappies and never ever post where they came from.

Congrats on the very nice fish. Again don't let the negatives get ya down. I'm happy to hear the fish are biting. I do agree don't give out the honey hole or lake or there will be no nice fish. Congrats again and head out and slay them again.

Quote:

With that said, posting that you caught monster crappies at a no name lake, your personal honeyhole, is in no way, shape, or form a fishing report. It's bragging rights, plain and simple.

If you want fishing reports for any lake other 'tonka don't look at this website.

Any post that talking about fish that were caught is a fishing report, no matter how you want to look at it. Yes he could have added what he caught the fish on to make it better, but it is a fishing report, and I want to keep people posting on here and if they get negative comments every time, they wont...

By the looks of it, on the first page of the metro area forum, I see fishing reports for Tonka, Medicine, Rebecca, Powers, Red Rock, and white bear, my point being, there are more than just tonka reports here, dont be so hard on this website, its not that bad!

Unfortunately it's a sad state of affairs when it comes to metro area lakes and panfish of any real size.

You see a few of these reports floating around and of course there is going to a "hot bite" somewhere in the area, but in general, 13-14" crappies are a rarity in the metro area.

It's nice to see guys able to still find a few big ones here and there.

What's even better is when they get released wink.gif

This is just my opinion, but as long as the "Bucket Brigade" continues to hammer the small metro lakes, we are destined for potato chip crappies and gills.

Anyways, those are great fish BigTime, thanks for sharing!

Quote:

And if you want something more specific than FOW and possibly type of bait look somewhere else.

Are you really on here so someone can tell you more than FOW and what they're using? Isn't that giving away the honeyhole? In part of your message you say not to tell anyone where the fish are biting and then you get critical on the lack of information people give out here? And to reinforce a statement above, this is a fishing report, who cares if he's bragging. Are you trying to tell me that you've never went out, caught a limit and bragged to your friends? I have, and I'll continue to do it for as long as God allows me to shocked.gif.

I for one welcome the reports of the big catches. I do hope they got put back though.

it gives me hope that some of these metro lakes still hold some decent fish, and that with hard work and time on the water you can find some beauties.

When I read this post first thing this morning, I was going to wave the B.S. flag, until the images where posted. But! It got me thinking of hitting some Metro lakes that have been know to produce crappies of the size in the past. That is the great/main point of threads/posts like this. It gives a guy hope and good thoughts of pulling dinner out of Snail or Long. Like you could years ago. I like these reports. I also like the dissecting of a post/threads that comes with a post like this.

I like reading reports like this too. The catch is that I don't believe them until I see some pictures. Still fun to dream though... smile.gif

you know......... people on here do this all the time.

Point is: He caught some nice crappies. Good ups for finding slabs in the metro area. Lets leave it at that.

I have a secret spot on a small lake in the east metro where I can catch 10-14 inch crappies and 8-10 inch bluegills but I keep that between my dad and 2 other friends.

Went out to the spot on tuesday night and did really well. Brought my dad out there for the first time and to actually see him catch a decent crappie and sunfish something he hasn't gotten to do in a LONG time was great.

BTW for the one who wants more info, we were in 10 feet of water using green Glow demons and wax worms fishing one rod on bottom and another about 3 feet off the bottom. Don't knock some one for posting that they had fun and you didn't.

BTW we did keep a couple for a meal but threw alot of those big slabbers back for another day.

Caution to all those posting that they have a secret spot: Don't worry about me finding out where you live, sitting outside your house night and day, then following you to the lake, just to get your "secret spot." It's all in your imagination! ha ha ha

tongue.gif

In all seriousness, keep up the good reports. No matter how vague or detailed, it's always nice to hear others catching fish! Gives the rest of us hope that there are fish in the lakes.

You would think that all the "hot spots" in the metro are known to everyone. But its not true. Some spots hold larger fish because they haven't been hammered by the masses. Many times the hot spot is not where the shanty towns are set up. Once word gets out (especially online) a particular structural spot, pond or backwater area can get depleted quickly.

No need to share locations but good to hear of your success!

No, its fine. I wasnt bragging just wanted to let people know that they are out there. We were in 13 fow with pink glow jigs using crap minnows. It was a fun time, since I had been skunked everywhere else I had been. I like to read stories like this, just thought others would like to hear about it as well. At work now, will post pics later.

Quote:

I wasnt bragging just wanted to let people know that they are out there.

Which is a great reason to post. It's sounding like some people only want reports of people not catching anything which can be informative but not very fun.

I'm always glad to see others find a good spot in the metro since it's so tough to find those honey holes around here...and so what even if he is bragging. The thread topic was pretty clear and if you didn't want to read it you could've skipped over it.

Thanks for the report and congrats on the catch!!

Thank you, we did release all over 13 inches, kept the smaller ones for dinner. It was a good time, it is by no means not a known lake. Just not the crowd that you will see on others in the metro.

Quote:

Are you really on here so someone can tell you more than FOW and what they're using? Isn't that giving away the honeyhole? In part of your message you say not to tell anyone where the fish are biting and then you get critical on the lack of information people give out here? And to reinforce a statement above, this is a fishing report, who cares if he's bragging. Are you trying to tell me that you've never went out, caught a limit and bragged to your friends? I have, and I'll continue to do it for as long as God allows me to
shocked.gif

Calm down there, chief! I am not being critical of the lack of information, nor am I being critical of what I consider to be bragging. The lack of information is a fact when it comes to this website, but you won't hear me complain about it. When (if) I find a magic pond with massive crappies in it, I'll post, I'll brag, and I'll throw up some pictures. I'll even blur the background on the pics if it gives away the location. We are all fisher-people here and what do fisher-people do??? Brag of course! And I enjoy reading the posts exactly like this for that reason.

Let me give those who are apparently confused a brief tutorial on what is and what isn't a fishing report:

An example of bragging:

"Went up north this weekend and caught a limit of 12 pound walleye." Note the lack of any real info other than the exaggerated fish size.

An example of a bragging fishing report:

"Went up to Leech lake this weekend and caught a limit of 12 pound walleyes on glow-jigs with fatheads in 20 feet of water." Note the lack of GPS coordinates or any very specific info. Also note the exaggerated fish size.

An example of a real fishing report:

"Went up to Mille Lacs this weekend, fished 8 hours in 18 feet of water using glow jigs with fatheads. Caught two fishstick perch and runny nose." Note the lack of GPS coordinates or any real specific info. Also note the realistic description of fish size.

Bigtime - I am just joking around here and I don't doubt your claims on the fish size, I know they around.

Boy Bigtime, you just can't cut a break can you? grin.gif

The last time I saw you post, you gave out VERY specific info on a spot and got some razz for that too! tongue.gif

We never went there, but thanks again for that post and this one! Its nice to have something to read. grin.gif

Johnny_Da_Der,

I had gotten the jist of you post. I was a good one. cool.gif

Nothing like being on an inner Metro lake and giving her untill 1:00 with little or no luck. Then at 12:30, the lines start coming on graph/locator and wam!!!! You are there till 3:30 am killing the bigger fish in that lake.

Only the Metro grin.gif

Congrats again bigtime and a big thank you for releasing the bigger slabs so others have a chance to expierence the same feeling you had the other night!

I dont blame him for making this thread. If I had done that well I would have been excited (who wouldnt be?) and I probably would have made a post, too.

People do get excited about catching big fish...I admit I do too. I've got a (not so) secret spot too...but I haven't been there in a few years. In fact it's a metro pond, used to fish it when I was a young buck...cop comes by all the time to check up on you and says parks closes at XX:XX time... grin.gif Gotta love catching big crappies, walleyes, pikes, and kittys. Shoot maybe I'll go try that this weekend grin.gif

Just asked a question...if you knew me you would not type cranky at me or read into what I typed as mean.

Bragging --ok fine...sharing info --ok if you wish...did not see any sharing...just wondered the point?

Kind a simple, no need to be crabby young dudes.

Did not ask for everyone to type Bigtimes answer.

grin.gif

So be it.

To be honest, I think its in the eye of the be holder. If he wants to share a spot and let others know thats fine. But if he wants to keep it a secret that is also fine. We shouldn't bash someone for telling or not telling about fish in a certain place. Its about comradely and sharing the wealth of information and knowledge.