Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minnbowhunter

Be careful what you ask for

17 posts in this topic

A friend was up last weekend and told me a house sunk to the roof at one end after he insisted that the resort put it out for him. i was told the bill was $4000 to get it out. Another house had the ice sag and had 2 ft of water inside. The owner was able to jack the house up and out of the water. Also a report that Dickies had 2 houses torched, not sure how much dammage was done but with all the wood in a fishhouse I would expect not too much left.

Where did the houses sink??? East side?? west side?? which resort??? I have my perm up there but doubt it'll hit the ice this year.

Didn't hear about the sinking houses but watched one of Dickies rentals burn New Years eve real close to my perm out of Liberty Beach, not much left. The fire Dept. showed up drilled a hole in the Ice and pumped water on it

It happened on the east side. No need to name excactly where, but I have pic's if somebody can post them.

Quote:

It happened on the east side. No need to name excactly where, but I have pic's if somebody can post them.

Why isn't there a need to post where the houses sank? I would think it'd be nice to know areas of thin ice.

You can send them to me and I can post them.

You got mail

Was there anyone in the houses? Were they vacant? Anyone hurt? Years ago I purchase a CO2 detector and bring it with no matter who I rent from. It has gone off a couple of times over the years. I would highly recommend anyone renting a house bring a detector with them.

Quote:

Quote:

Why isn't there a need to post where the houses sank? I would think it'd be nice to know areas of thin ice.

My feelings are that there is no need to post bad press against a resort owner. I personally know the owner and have fished with him going back 25 years. The house owner was adviced not to but the house out. The resort owners want us out as bad as we want out. They know the lake better than we do. Lets listen to their advice and heed their warnings. As far as the torched houses at Dickies I was told they were not occupied when they were set on fire.

Here are the photos courtesy of HB,

HP1.jpg

HP2.jpg

HP3.jpg

HP4.jpg

HP5.jpg

Wow what a job getting that bugger back up on the ice.That gives a whole new meaning to "houseboat" frown.gif

At least the door was pointing up - HOLY $#@#$#$

OUCH!!!! I've had my small one (6 X 10) go through on a lake near hutch the year that they were dropping in all over the state when it got warm and windy. mine was no problem getting back up, but OUCH that had to be a job getting that one up!!

minnbowhunter I'm not at all concerned what resort it was. The same thing could have happened to someone making their own road. I was refering to where on the lake a person should be careful, i.e. the house went in on this flat or that reef, there's a big crack at this spot... It wasn't a bash on any resort, that's for sure.

I understand your point and it is well taken. unfortunatly the info I got was 2nd hand and I don't know exactly on the lake the house was, only that it happpened on the east side. Your right, people should know if there is an area to stay clear of.

from what I heard which is also second hand is that it was along the east side out from Hunter's somewhere. So if your going out in that area just ask the resort owner about bad ice they will be more than happy to tell you.

WOW!!!