Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Sander

Wilderness Warmth

3 posts in this topic

Will be up on Friday. Bringing my wheel house and wondering where I should go and what are they biting on. Never been there before so and advice is welcome. Thanks

I realize this is a little late, but maybe someone else can make use of the info.

Jay's roads are plowed out just past Mazominee point, with half ton trucks. 12-14 inches on-road, 10-12 inches off maintained road. Beyond that heading out into the main lake, the ice is all new formation after the winds blew first ice south last year -> it is only 9 inches thick, no driving out there, and no road either - and plenty of flooding. Jay's staked road goes out 1.5 miles or so to the first steep structure off Mazominee point. There is aan over-under heave under the snow closer to Mazominee point that keeps flooding that whole area, and that' why Jays road is running so close to the deep break right now.

Overall, the ice conditions are kind of hemming the perm shacks in close to the bay. Jay said he is putting a Suzuki Samurai with plow blade to work this weekend to try to start getting out to Kings hump.

So, with a wheelhouse, you aren't going to go very far off road, and you may need to pay Jay for a driveway spot off the road unless you are into shoveling. You'll be limited to Andersons Reef and MAzominee point if you are looking for deep breaks, otherwise, there's lots of shallow bay to fish.

Fishing-wise - a random eater walleye is being caught in the bay here and there, and there are large schools of puny perch. I've watched these perch belly-rest on top of boulders staring at a minnow on a hook, if their fins weren't flapping you'd think they were dead. It's been slow in the bay, and out on Andersons Reef and off Mazominee. Setlines and deadsticks arent' getting the hits that active jigging spoons are.

Thanks for the report be up tomorrow. Each year is different good ice bad ice fast bite slow bite, buit we are fishing grin.gif