• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike

ctuma

I'm coming up next weekend for the first time and would like to set a few tip ups outside our house for pike and was wondering what the best bait to use is. Frozen semlt, suckers, shinners? Thanks

We used larged suckers on a rattle reel in the house. The interesting thing is that we caught a few walleye's on that sucker as well as a 34" pike.

Sounds strange, but we run our tip-ups with suckers just below the ice maybe about a foot to 2 feet below. I always put one deep and one below the ice and below the ice out performs everytime. I only put one deep if I am with a good size group. We get nice walleyes just below the ice also. Use good sized suckers also, there are some monsters out there.

natelee, that is a great way to target pike on a shallow lake such as Red. Pike tend to feed or target in a upwards mood. (look where their eyes are) Putting that sucker under the ice makes a very tempting wiggling and kicking silhouette for pike to easily target AND trap below the ice. Almost like delivery pizza for them its so easy.

Find yourself some big live suckers and put them about half way btwn the bottom and the top of the ice and try to spread out as much as you can. I usually just set my tip up even with the top of my head (6ft). We just got back last week and we got a 42", 40", 37", some smaller ones, and a BUNCH of walleyes. Fished in 11-14.5 ft of water. Move, and get away from the crowds.

Johnny P, I was your early arrival day after Christmas. We had to leave a little early and I never got a chance to thank you, kelly and patsy. i will be sending kelly an email when i get more time. I will get you guys some pics of our fish too. Thanks again.