Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thedanimalkmk

Red River around Fargo

2 posts in this topic

I will be heading to Fargo around Martin Luther King day and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for fishing the Red in this area. I have never tried it, but am now realizing on the opportunity I may have missed out on while at NDSU. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yep, lots of fun opportunities on the Red in the winter. First and foremost- use caution. Lots of trouble spots on the Red all winter long, so carry rope, ice picks, and most importantly, fish with a buddy. Actually, #1 most important- use common sense.

Look for low current areas near deeper water. I like fishing in/near wood. I do best on shallow shelfs near deeper water. I'm usually in the 4 to 10 foot range. Quiet water is usually the key. One good tip is to think about where you'd find fish around freeze up. Then back off a mile or two and look for the places I described above (quiet water shelfs near deeper water with wood). Also, do a search on this topic and you'll find a wealth of info.

Finally, take what I say with a grain of salt, I haven't been on the Red all winter! I'm still chasing deer with my bow. However, my stick and string will get put away this coming Sun and I'll be snooping around the Red and its tribs after that.

Good luck!