Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nadeau_3

taking my wife out to catch anything..trying to get her interested. suggestions?

12 posts in this topic

my wife has never been ice fishing before and i was just looking for a lake/or a lot of activity. I don't care if its huge walleye are tiny pan fish, just want her to understand why i love ice fishing. I caught a ton of sunnies on the east end of frances last year but don't know whats happening out there this year. any suggestions??

Try Frances...

Keep her comfortable , do not stay out too long after she loses interest , try to rent a hard house , have her bring a book or something to do if she gets bored , Bring snacks and beverages , remember "bathroom supplies" and limitations for her.

You may find she is more interested in being out there with you rather than "catching anything" that is ok too !

Do not expect her to start out with the same level of interest and stamina it took you years to develop.

Same advice applies to kids !

thanks for the advice hookey. I personally think she would like ice fishing but she feels different. My main interest isn't catching fish as much as getting her interested into the good time you can have out there. I think I'll wait until it warms up a bit though smile.gif

thanks for the reply morneau. For those little sunnies, you think the east end in 10-15 fow?

Yeah, start on the east end just out from the city playground / beach area. You will catch fish, however the sunfish are very small. There is a nice break line that starts out from the beach area. Work that area and you will find fish. HOOKEY couldn't have said it any better. grin.gif

come out to the otter run saturday. there will be people to help find fish and it will be almost 40 out.

I DONT KNOW WHAT AREA YOU'RE FROM, BUT I SAW SOMEONE MENTIONED IN A DIFFERENT POST LAKE KOHLMEIER IN OWATONNA. THIS LAKE IS PHENOMINAL FOR SMALL PANFISH. YOU CAN GO CATCH HUNDREDS IN A DAY! DON'T PLAN ON KEEPING A MEAL, HOWEVER AS THE FISH ARE EXTREMELY SMALL. cool.gif

I wouldnt go to kohlmier or whatever i know it as the "PIT" and that it is. i wiouldnt suggest going there, quite a smelly stink hole inthe summer, cant be too grand durring the winter, but i guess if action is what you want you will probably be a perminant hook taker-outer.

That's not a real fair judgement on Kohlmeir. It is a great lake to take a kid fishing, Summer or Winter. The numbers of small fish and the almost constant bite makes it a great place to take small kids and keep their attention. It is a great place to get young kids into fishing. It is also a very good Largemouth Bass lake in the summer. I have seen/caught some nice bass down there. I wouldn't classify it as a "smelly stinkhole". It is a nice public park that offers a lot to the town of Owatonna.

I AGREE WITH YA MATT. IT IS NOT A STINK HOLE AND YOU WILL CATCH ALOT OF FISH. WHAT BETTER TO SOMEONE WHO HASN'T CAUGHT ALOT OF FISH, TO CATCH ALOT OF FISH???

thanks for the info, i appreciate the tips. i live in mankato so i was looking for a lake a bit closer to home but thank you for the posts.