Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outfitter17

FM Members get together at Camp Manitou on Manitou Lake for Winter Lake Trout

13 posts in this topic

We are having a FM members get together at Camp Manitou (1 hr. north of I. Falls) on the weekends of Feb. 23rd and March 8th. We will be fishing mainly lake trout on Lower Manitou Lake, Dogfly Lake, and Mister Lake.

The resort is located 1/2 way between dryden and fort frances, ont. It is a summer island resort, located 6 miles from our winter parking lot, so you will need a snowmobile or 4 wheeler to get to the camp and out fishing. Transportation can be arranged if needed.

You can arrive on either thursday or friday and depart on either sunday or monday, you can stay as long as you want.

We can only take 18 people at a time so pick out which weekend works for you and call us to get on the reservation list, we are booking on a first come first serve basis.

If you have any questions, call the number below, e-mail, or reply to this post.

See you on the ice,

Matt

Sounds like a good time!

Quickstrike,

It should be a great time, people are already signing up and it has only been posted for 1 day.

It will be nice to put somes faces with FM usernames.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to call.

Matt

Hey Outfitter,

I would be interested in the Feb. 23rd outing. Not 100% sure if I can make it yet. I will talk to "The Boss" and get back to you ASAP. Anybody else interested??

Justin

This sounds fantastic. I would love to do this. I will need to try and find a sled for the trip.

Will you tell people what they need to worry about as far as coming to Canada?

Hey Powerstroke,

There is a thread stickied to the top of the Canada forum about Border Crossing/Faqs and other info about going into Canada. You will need a Canadian Fishing License that runs about $67.00 Canadian unless you get the conservation license, which is cheaper, but you can't keep as many fish. You can't bring live bait across, So, I am hoping there are some options where the resort is. Otherwise, you should be able to get minnows in Fort Frances? Or did that place burn down? You need to bring your drivers license and birth certificate with you (Passport is best if you have it). I just heard on MPR that U.S. Customs is getting more strict about this and gearing up for the mandatory passport entry in June of this year.

Outfitter, can you bring frozen ciscoes across the border?

You cannot have a DUI in the past 2 years on your record or they won't let you into the country. I believe that you have to pay some kind of fee of $250.00 if you have a DUI on record in the past 7 years just to enter Canada.

You can only bring one case of beer across or one liter of booze. There are restrictions on Tobacco and potatoes too.

Best thing to do is have all your ducks in a row when you hit the border. Have your papers such as drivers license, birth certificate, or passport ready for immediate inspection when you get to the window. Know what you have as far as tobacco, and beer, etc. because they will ask you and don't be over the limit! The better prepared you are, the less likely it is you will have to pull over and have your stuff rifled through. I am sure Outfitter will have more info, but check out the Canada forum!

Later,

Justin

Powerstroke,

Justin covered just about everything regarding crossing the border.

You can bring ciscos across the border and you can pickup minnows and a lic. at Rainy Lake Sports on the east side of Fort Frances.

You can bring up to 5 cases of beer per person, the 1st one is duty free and then you pay duty on the rest.(I think its about $6 a case), alot cheaper than buying it in canada.

JustinG,

Talk to the "BOSS" and let me know, did you say you had a few guys from the ely area intersted?

Outfitter,

I am working on getting some local dudes interested in going up. Would be nice to share driving expenses, but that won't stop me from fishing up there. I will confront "THE BOSS" later tonight when she gets home.

Talk to you soon,

Justin

I can vouch for Camp Manitou as I stayed there about the same time in Feb last year, and have fished Manitou two other times. Had my personal best day ever there catching lakers about 7 years ago, as I landed 24 fish from one spot on a -22 degree day.

The cabins are warm, and in a good spot to catch lakers within 60 seconds sled ride of the cabin. Our group of 8 caught probably a dozen just around the island that the cabins are on. And we spent the vast majority of our time quite a ways up "the reach" where the big water starts and a bit beyond.

Sure wish that I could get up for either of these weekends Matt, but just not gonna work this year for me. Have a great season! Oh and by the way, our biggest laker that weekend was around #15 and we caught over 40 trout, just to get you motivated. For bait I would also suggest salting shiners to take, i've done well with lake shiners, goldens, and even emeralds.

A regular license allows you to bring back 2 lakers, a conservation allows 1 laker to bring back.

Justin,

Thanks for the invite on that other thread. I'm definately thinking about ways to make this happen. I called the number on this post to get some pricing and availability but haven't heard back yet. I still have to work around the vacation time problem too, but I'll check into it.

Man it sounds like fun! I am definately interested! smile.gif

Hey Wanderer,

I just got the message from the office, I will call you tonight.

Matt

Yo Wanderer!

Shoot me over an email please. I think if we are going to do this thing, we should make plans asap. That way, we won't have to sleep in a root cellar or boiler room!!! grin.gif

Talk to you soon,

Justin

Whats wrong with a boiler room???? smirk.gif

Email coming tomorrow -- fishing tonight. smile.gif

Matt,

Thank you, I heard your message. Sounds like reasonable rates and a good plan you have set up. Hope I can make this work.