• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have recently been considering using headlamps instead of running a lantern. I was reading a article from one of the Team Otter dudes who says he uses them. I was wondering if I could get some advise in which one to use. Some of them look kind of cheap. From the picture under your post it looks like you use these things often so you probably have some good advise. Also how long do the batteries last and which ones are the best.

I fish 3-5 nights a week all summer long, with the majority of that being done during the night hours. I've found that the Energizer LED's are good balance of a quality item at an affordable price. You can spend a whole lot, but I haven't seen a remarkable improvement from the $15 lamp to the $60 lamp.

I like the Energizer headlamp that has the slide switch vs the push button. The reason is that you have to cycle it through all the functions to turn it off.

RED

SPOT

FLOOD

SPOT/FLOOD

OFF

Pain in the butt compared to

slide right for red

slide left for bright

middle off.

With all the usage, I end up changing the AAA batteries about 2-3 times per year.

I second the Energizer LED light, I have the $15 one from the store they call supercenter's. It has the push button style switch and also the light tilts up and down, works good for putting the light where you want it with out having tip your head down to see. I don't mind the push button, and it is bright!!

Quote:

I like the Energizer headlamp that has the slide switch vs the push button. The reason is that you have to cycle it through all the functions to turn it off.

RED

SPOT

FLOOD

SPOT/FLOOD

OFF

Pain in the butt compared to

slide right for red

slide left for bright

middle off.

Energizer had two models at Wall Fart when I broke down and bought another head lamp unit a month or so ago. I was looking for exactly the on and off slide type and not the click/push button. They even charge you a couple more bucks for that push button style one. It was only like $9.95 for the on/off style type, compared to $14.95 for the push button click style. I had a great head light with on and off switch, that I had bought 3-4 years ago and lasted and was great on the AAA's. But last summer, during a storm power outage, I brought inside to use and I have not been able to find since. I know it was the kids.

But yes, do not buy that click, click, click, click and click. Darn, one too many clicks, click, click, click, finally. Darn, I need light again, click, click, and click and so on. My brother in-law has one and it drives me nutz when I use the thing. It always when I am in a situation, where to click is the last thing I want to do.

I bought one from our local mac tool distributer and it has a push button on/off only has ran the whole waterfowl season and much of the hardwater seaon it has three l.e.d's and is still brighter than h.e double hockeysticks!!! the lamp assembly tilts and the batteries(3 aaa) are in the back you can hardly tell tour wearing it.. oh. yeah don't look at your buddies with it on the the tend to get a little mad grin.gif

Thanks, that was the info I needed. I thought I heard jamison say he uses this in the winter in place of a lantern. I could be dead wrong. Im just wondering if that would work?

I use the "Fuel" $24.99 and worth every peny S.A.S. in Mankato. I can't believe this is my first year with one. I can't tell you how many batteries I have baught for my Sure Fire flashlights. This will save me $.

HEAD LAMPS WORK GREAT IN PLACE OF A LANTERN AS LONG AS YOUR BUDDY SITTING NEXT TO YOU HAS ONE AS WELL.

I got a Enegizer head lamp. I love it I use the red light when fishing with a buddy that way your buddy will not be blinded.

I only use a lantern if I absolutely have to or I need some extra heat. smirk.gif

Quote:

I use the "Fuel" $24.99 and worth every peny S.A.S. in Mankato. I can't believe this is my first year with one. I can't tell you how many batteries I have baught for my Sure Fire flashlights. This will save me $.

Can you send me an email jcschmitz at mchsi dot com? Trying to figure out what S.A.S. is. Thanks././Jimbo

thanks all. I use the good old colemen propane latern. There kind of a hassle. What is this 24.99 FUEL You speak of.

PTFuelF07.jpg

Ultralight at 1.5 oz

50 to 160 Hour Burn Time

15 Lumen Brightness

3 Light Levels + Flash

Water Resistant

Princeton Tec Fuel

It is avilable in green/grey, and pink/gray if you want. Great run time, and light.

S.A.S. Stands for Scheels All Sports, but it is one of many places you can get them. I think the next closest would be in St Cloud at S.A.S. or REI in the cities.

Quote:

What is this 24.99 FUEL You speak of

It has a coool tilt feature as well.

Description: The innovative Princeton Tec Fuel Headlamp is designed to meet the widest range of applications while remaining small, lightweight and robust. With all of the touch points of the Fuel being considered, the design fulfills technology's promise of actually making our lives easier.

What could be better than a headlamp that weighs only 2.7 ounces with 15 lumens of brightness and 160 hours of burn time? A light that also has an asymmetrical single arm bracket that makes directing the light effortless and reliable; a large, easy to find push button switch and a virtually bulletproof, easy access battery door that protects the 3 AAAs and its electronics.

An adjusting pivoting head shines light where you need it, and the durable ultralight strap provides plenty of adjustment for the perfect fit. Self-contained battery system eliminates external wires. Recognizing that different amount of light are needed for different conditions and situations, the Fuel is equipped with 3 brightness levels and a blinking emergency/signaling mode. 3 AAA Batteries are included.

Burn Times (with alkaline batteries)

Low: 160 hours at 11.5 (0 hr), 11 (0.5 hr), 9 (10 hr) meter illumination

Medium: 110 hours at 17.5 (0 hr), 18 (0.5 hr), 12 (10 hr) meter illum

High: 50 hours at 26 (0 hr), 21 (0.5 hr), 11 (10 hr) meter illumination

Flash: 120 hours at 26 to 17.5 meter illumination

Weight

1.5 ounces without batteries

2.7 ounces with 3 AAA alkaline batteries

Ideal for adventure/fishing racing/fishing, hiking/fishing, backpacking/fishing, or I use it for FISHING.

Another great head lamp is the Princeton Tec EOS. Has a large push button for easy operation with gloves. Has three settings and a flash mode. Comes in a few different colors. Has one LED light that is SUPER BRIGHT! Also has the tilt feature on it. Runs on 3 AAA's. Another great deal is the LED is regulated so it maintains it's initial brightness. Run time on low is 60 hours, medium 12 hours, and high 6 hours. High mode works as a great little spotlight with a 1 watt LED!! Runs $35. I personally own two. Great for in the shack and also for duck and deer hunting. Just another option. cool.gif

Along with the Energizer mentioned above the Rayovac 3-1 is another great headlamp..... they can be had for as low as $10. I just picked up another at Wally World..... this one has Red LED, white LED, and spot.

Best bang for the buck IMO.

The Princeton Tecs are very nice also but you'll pay conciderably more.

414v7f47bqlss400dx2.jpg

I use a flourcent 12volt shop light if I can be near the truck otherwise I only use the energizer headlamp have had it for 3 years now and still have not replaced the Baterries. 3 aaa batteries come with the light. Kids have burned up to much clothing on the lanteran plus I hate the hassel of the thing wanting to explode when I light it and replacing the mantels and glass after every pull behind the ATV. I have a Trap Voyager house and as said before make sure your buddy has one also or you'll get a sore neck looking back and forth.

I go with brunton thay are top of the line and priced right. the one i have has a low med.and high setting also a red setting. it runs of of 2 AAA batteries and it will last for hundreds of hours. thay also work good for pickin night crawlers in the summer.