Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Corey Bechtold

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab...

Corey Bechtold    2
Corey Bechtold

I'm looking to buy a 2001 or 2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Sport. Both trucks are almost identical. The 01 has 135,000 miles and the 02 has 166,000 miles. I test drove the 01 and it seemed nice. I don't know if anything changed in a year and if one is better than the other.

If anyone has a truck like this and has any comments please let me know.

Thanks,

Corey Bechtold

Shack    16
Shack

Not much deference between the two model years. I would go with the lower mileage one (2001). They are so close in model years; the only difference between the two models is blue book value. With the added miles on the 2002, I would say the 2001 would almost be worth more.

I would test drive both trucks, or at least the one that you want to buy twice and for around 20-30 minutes each time. Listen for road noise and that’s about it other than any lights that pop on, drivability concerns or other strange noises that can occur. If you hear excess road noise, check for Goodyear tires. If they cup slightly, they sound like a wheel bearing about ready blow out. This could be a bargaining point. If you can and you must, put the truck in 4x4. Also switch/shift it into 4x4 low and then back out. Check to see if A/C is working by turning it on and popping hood and seeing if A/C clutch in engaged.

If possible, have someone check it out at a shop or at least try to raise front end, to check ball joints. If steering feels tight during test drive, most likely front end is ok.

They are a nice truck, but like every model out there, things can crop up from time to time.

Good luck!

Scott K    28
Scott K

Quote:

If possible, have someone check it out at a shop or at least try to raise front end, to check ball joints. If steering feels tight during test drive, most likely front end is ok.

This is real good advise for a used vehicle. I would never buy a used vehicle without having it checked out first!

Jarrod32    0
Jarrod32

I have an '03 Dakota Quad Cab...it has been a good truck for me. I have the v-6, and it is a bit underpowered...but we took it on our holiday travels this year and I was able to get around 19 to 19.5 MPG with it, in good driving conditions. 17.5 to 18 MPG is more normal, though (on the highway).

I would recommend it, if you are able to get by with the mid-size truck. There are times when I wish I had a full size...but they are few and far between.

You gave the two different year models, and the mileage...I am assuming everything else is the same (engine, transmission, etc). If so, go with the lower mileage.

Another note...there was a recall on the front ball joints on mine, but I don't know if that is specific to the '03 model, or all of them. If that hasn't been done, you will be able to get it done easily enough...just make sure it has been done.

Shack    16
Shack

Quote:

Another note...there was a recall on the front ball joints on mine, but I don't know if that is specific to the '03 model, or all of them. If that hasn't been done, you will be able to get it done easily enough...just make sure it has been done.

Jarrod,

You are very correct! I think it would cover these model years as well. The only thing would be, has the recall been done yet?

Good call! It was a very big recall, included Durangos also.

solbes    0
solbes

Major interior change was in '01. No real changes from '01 to '02. A unique "Sport" decal for '02 is about the only thing differentiating between models I think (if it's a sport and not SLT). The tow package would be a nice to have, if it's different between the two trucks. Class IV hitch, tranny cooler, and HD cooling and batteries are included with this. Limited slip differential would be another nice to have.

I have an '02 Quad Cab with 4wd, the 4.7 eight cylinder, and the 3.92 LSD rear end. It has great torque for a mid size, has good utility, and manuevers fairly well. About the only times I wish I had a full size are when I pull my camper (still does decent job for nearly 5k lbs) and when I have a large or awkward load to carry.

4wd system has been excellent so far for me. I have the part time transfer case. There are some front end noises (@ 80k miles it's likely the front sway bar bushings). My ball joints were replaced at 40k under the recall. I've had the heater fan and resistor block replaced under warranty. And I remember some blinker module being replaced as well. That's it for repairs, so I've been pretty happy. Still on the original battery, shocks changed at 65k, tires at 65k, and the brakes are now due for replacement.

I'd look to assure the tranny and rear end are working properly, not making noises, etc. I think both the 4.7 and 5.9 are good engines. I have not driven the 3.9 V6. Gas mileage is nothing special being more in the full size territory (13.5 city, and about 16.5 highway). Overall I'd recommend the truck grin.gif

Ishmel    0
Ishmel

I have an '01 Dakota Quad Cab SLT with the 4.7 ltr engine. I really like it. It's always had plenty of power for what I need it to do. Downsides are gas mileage (12mpg in town), and it has some serious blind spots. The above posts all give good advice on checking things out.

jltimm    0
jltimm

This is one thing I've never understood about buying a Dakota? You can own a full size Dodge, and get near enough the same mileage with the same engine in a more capable truck.

blue_healer_guy    5
blue_healer_guy

Mostly the same as others, I have an 03. Like stated, the mpg is around 12 city, 15-16 hwy. The reason I bought the truck is the wife thought she could handle and see better over a full size, I guess she felt more comfortable. Been a good truck to me.

Corey Bechtold    2
Corey Bechtold

Thanks for all the insight everybody. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because my friend that wants to buy my 98 Chev 1500 needs the ok from his bank. The Chevy is a great truck but the extended cab doesn't help with all the in and out stops with the kids.

I'll let you all know what turns out.

Thanks,

Corey Bechtold