Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LABS4ME

1/1/08 report

2 posts in this topic

Just got back from a 5 day stint up on Cass.... the ice is sitting around 12", but there is a ton of slush on top! It takes little to get a wheeler stuck and I almost got my long track snowmobile stuck towing my portable stuck in a pretty big slush pocket. This was in Allen's bay, I did not venture on to the big lake. So I can't say whether it's better there or not. My neighbor had his wheeeler stuck for close to 40 minutes in a big pocket.

Fishing is/was pretty slow. Only a few short walleye and a ton of small perch were caught. I did not get out as many times as I planned, nor did I try as many areas as usual, but I have had neighbors out each of those days. I'm not sure if it's the darkness under the ice or what... I probably should've tired through the day as opposed to the morning and evening times. A friend of mine called and said they were having some luck on Pike Bay... not what they were hoping for, but a few keeper walleye and a half dozen 10" or so perch. They said the going was tough due to the slush also. Another friend fished Pike Bay on Sunday for perch and did not find any keepers in a 3 hour period and proceeded to go to Winnie, where they did minimally better. They managed a few keepers, but nothing to report home about.

Spent a morning sprearing in a friends darkhouse on a neighboring lake. As usual we had a great time! A 30", 27" and a 26" were taken. Many others seen, a lot of bass and some respectable sunnies to boot. A guy would do well to prod around in some of those hidden small lakes in the Chippewa forest. A lot of slush was even noted on this particular 120 acre lake. Snowmobiles are your best option. Just make sure you do not park anywhere close to a slush pocket and you will be fine.

Good Luck!

Ken

Just back from the trip up. Cut it a day short because if the terrible ice on the area lakes.

I mean we did catch a few fish when we went out but it just sucks out there right now. Got wheeler stuck alot and was just horrible to move around in. I had hoped to have a permant out already but that was not going to happen right now.

I hope this warmup melts that top snow layer or the ice out this spring will be super early, because it is not making much for ice with that crap at all.

Pray for something because it plain is to much work to fish right now. frown.gif