• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a ride!!!!

I tried my luck out on Bloody this morning. It's just a little windy out there today. As I was going for a ride across the lake all I could think of was, dang, I just got this otter cabin and it's going to explode when we hit the other side!!! frown.giffrown.gif

Once I came back into Earth's orbit and hit the other side I was more than impressed at the fact that the Otter suffered absolutely NO DAMAGE!!!!! smile.gifsmile.gif

It was a bit of a walk back to my truck. Worst of all, I couldn't stay put in one spot. I kept getting blown around so I packed it up for the day.

Bad part is, I have some. I totally spaced it out and left them at home.

It was a kinda fun ride, tho!!!

Boiler...years ago, my nephew and I went fishing early ice on Lake Koronos, kinda S.W. of here. It was early ice, slick as snot, some wet spots, with a little open water out in the middle.

Nephew, who is only a couple of years younger then me, gets in 4X6 portable and sets it up. He scribes where the holes are to go and was just ready to come out when a huge blast of wind grabs that portable with him in it and takes it for about a 40 yard ride at about 100 miles and hour across that bare ice, toward the open water!

I had cleats on my boots and took off after the house and my nephew at about 60 miles an hour....I was younger then and could run a little faster. grin.gif

I catch up to house and another gust takes it away again. After about a hundred yards and some mighty gasping on my part, I was able to get my cleated feet inside the pull rope and stop the fish house and my nephews missile like departure toward potential doom.....once stopped, it sat still.

I looked inside, puffing like a staem engine, with a big grin on my face and just about died laughing between gasps......my nephew was on all fours on the floor with this wild look of terror on his face! His face was so red it looked like a big swelled up beet with bulged out eyes!

His hair was poking out all over and he was all wet from rolling and slamming around inside the moving fish house. I don't think he knew which way was up? I think he was afraid to stand up, cause later he told me he had tried to get to his feet several times and had fallen.

And get this...even after saving his bacon, he got mad at me cause I was laughing like a lunatic...the ingrate!

He's just lucky I had my 60 mile per hour boots on...had I worn the slower pair, he might have been up schmidt crick and this story would have had a different ending! grin.gif

Yeah, I know? I forgot to mention that all his fingernails, even those on his thumbs were bent backwards from clawing the ice as it zipped by the holes in the fish house floor! Had all those white marks in em, like he had been sick, or on a bad diet. grin.gif

In thinking about it, it is alot funnier when it is happening to the other guy!

Quote:

Judges called and told me you didn't quite make the full 8 seconds sorry, no points

I should get at least 5 points for sticking the landing.

Sounds like you had quite a ride, been there done that a couple of times. Haven't tried the ice anchors yet I've just went upwind and used to drill the auger in intill it would stand up and tie the pull strap to it. One time we where on Waubay on early ice and our group was setting up and one of the guys had a brand new suitcase icehouse that he set up to mark the holes, he had put half his stuff in it when the SD wind grabbed it and sent it sliding across the smooth ice at about 25mph. So as the 6 of us watch it start on a couple of mile ride to the other shore I unhooked the wheeler from the trailer and took off after it. I finally got up to it and was driving along side of it as it went across the lake and when it hit a small drift of snow I turned the wheeler in front to stop it. Now I had to get in it and try to fold it up by myself as the wind was whipping everything around, in the end it all worked out as nothing was broken or lost but quite a rodeo.

My brother and I also had a similar experience on Shetek years ago. I was early ice so luckily there were probably only a handful of people out there to see us. The winds were probably 25 to 35 mph and we had a 6x6 suitcase style portable we were trying to set up on a spot we had chosen, my brother was in setting it up and was inside and as soon as he got it up it started sliding so I dove and grabbed it by the bottom of the door. So there we go crusin across the ice with one man in the house the other draggin on his stomach behind. Finally we were stopped by some rough ice where the ice chunks had frozen together. So thats where we decided to fish, and we had good luck too. I still laugh about how funny it must have looked with a guy draggin behind his fish house across the ice.

Good times.

My question is did you catch any fish on bloody, I fished sleepy eye on tuesday afternoon in the wind and cold and did okay, used the old SD wind blocker trick, a 2'x8' piece of plywood against the side of the truck to keep the wind from coming underneath it and set up close to the truck so the back of the house almost touches the truck, works fine as long as you can drive out to fish!!

I caught a few small crappies. I prolly would have gotten more but I was having too hard of a time staying put so I went home.

I seem to never have that problem. Maybe its the extra pounds I carry! crazy.gif Eric, you may just need to add more calories to your diet. See what lite beer does for you! wink.gif