• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fur Prices

leechmann

Anybody heard anything on the current fur prices. I see NAFA has a sale date coming up. Wondering if a guy should clean the freezer out and put all the fur up. Let me know what you've heard.

hey leech i havent heard much yet but i think ill be headed out to my fur buyer soon and ill let you know i really cant tell ya but when i hear somethin ill be sure to get it to ya

Leech i use to sell alot to Goldbergs in seattle. they are not buying this year. I am skinning all my fox with the feet in for the ATA auction this year during the fur rondy at the start of the iditorod. I am also going to skin 10 normal to send to nafa.

on my check today just one frozen fox in a snare. too cold for them to be moving much. but I found another new area to put in a pile of snares. Hopefully mymachine is fixed tomorrow so i can go set it. I didn't want to set it when i have to rely on someone elses snowmobile to go make check my sets.

If you haven't already shipped to NAFA you are too late for the Jan 11 auction. Fur Harvesters auction in Northbay is Jan 7. These first major auctions will set the tone for the rest of the year. We will find out how strong that coon market really is, or just a temporary bump like the rat market turned out to be.

Thanks Walleye, I was going to try to put my fur up for the next NAFA sale. I see that the pickup schedule is Jan.13,in my area. I was just wondering if anyone had sold any fur locally, and how they did.

walleye it is hard for alot of us ALaskan's to get fur in to the nafa sale. it is just plain too early. I don't even put sets out until dec. 1, and by the deadline for us is too soon to make the first auction. Most of the alaska fur goes to the second auction.

I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about a bunch of Alaskan raccoon showing up and flooding the market.

I would also be very interested in hearing some local prices but no one seems to want to report any. I can't find anyone here in Northern MN that sells locally anymore. since the last price crash most of the local buyers gave up and everyone still in the trapping business is shipping to NAFA or Fur Harvesters.

walleye i don't think anyone was talking about just coon. Leech asked about fur.

You said it is too late, I simply said it's not too late. If your interested in pricing for coons contact groenwalds. They will be able to give you a good idea.

Hello All, this is second hand info from a coon dog site I visit. The same question was asked a couple of days ago and the average for coons from 7 replys was a 10.00 average.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about a bunch of Alaskan raccoon showing up and flooding the market.

Hey walleye, how many coon do you have going to auction?

Hey XHC, I won't be able to make it, I have to work tomorrow. You must be planning on going though!

yeah my pa and i will be headed the tomorrow morningi hope to hear some good things about prices i am bringing the two cats to get them regestered and maybe sell??

Hey fish,

I was just kidding about the Alaskan coon, figured that may be a bit north of the coon range. Next time I'll remember to use one of them smiley faces when I try to make a joke.

Anyone check out the Fur Harvesters Auction results? Some things are looking pretty good. Here are some averages-

Beaver $21

Mink $13

Fisher $77

Rats $3.38

Raccoon regional averages of $21-$27

Coyote 30-35

Red fox $21

i hear yah walleye, hard to read expression on here:)

yeah fur harvesters did not do too bad, most reds did not sell though. You have to remember they teamed up with western can as well this year, so marten prices were terrible considering they had a large selection of norther fur.

Nafa is tomorrow, will be interesting to see how things compare.

The way it looks NAFA is not even offering Reds on this sale except private treaty. The ones I sent have not even been lotted yet.

coon should be about $25 average

fox should average over $20

beaver should pick up as season goes on $22

Rats still have a good tops but they just arent moving fast enough buyers are offering $3.50 tops and nafa is starting @$5.50 tops

Castor is moving very well $13-$14 from buyers and Nafa should be selling collections @ over $1 per ounce

Hi guys,

I shoot a lot of Grey Fox with the 17 HMR and usually end up giving them away but I would like to learn how to skin them so I can start selling them, any good sites out there to look at for skinning.

Also, does anyone know what the prices are for good grey's?

Thanks

Lee

Yeah Lee, last I hear grey were going to bring at least $50.00 and up.

As for skinning them, I would be glad to take some pics and walk you through the process. However, I don't have a fox on hand, but I plan to hang some snare as soon as this cold spell quits. So if noone else steps up, maybe I can help in about a week or two.

Leech

Thanks Leech, it's not uncommon for me to get 6-8 of them a night of calling and if they do go for $50 that's some nice extra hunting and fishing cash in my pocket. To bad we weren't closer to eachother so I could learn first hand.

Yes, that is some great fox hunting. Its not too hard to skin a fox, I think I'll be able to show you with some pic's. Maybe fish can chime in and show you too, he must have fox laying all over by now. Good luck, Leech

CNY lee i am having a HECK OF A TOUGH season this year, next fox i get i will take pics as i skin. THere are some GREAT video's out there on how to skin also that will be even better than photos i can do for you. If you look at a trapline products supplier you should find a good bunch of video's on fur handling. If your giving 5 or 6 greys away a night that is ALOT of money.

CNY i SHOULD be able to get to my line this weekend, keeping my fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Had to go back a bit to pull up this old topic, but if you haven't checked out the NAFA March sale prices, you better take a look. If you sold last fall or even on the January auction these March prices will make you wish you hadn't. Anyway check it out and it will get you pumped for next season.