• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FIreline crystal ice - great stuff

markkstanley

Fishing crappies on Tonka. Lots of fish on the Marcum but they were just not smacking the jig. I could see my spring bobber dip but just couldn't get a hookset. Was using my favorite Pline and a Ratso. This went on for 15 minutes and I missed at least a half a dozen fish. Had a spare spool along loaded up with Crystal Ice 2lb test so I switched spools. What a difference. No only was the spring bobber dipping more but hooksets were a piece of cake. I haven't used superline when ice fishing because in times past it got too stiff and ice coated but not the Crystal Ice. Highly recommend it. Made the difference between a few fish and over two dozen fish last night. Added bonus was no coils in line which means no issue of your jig spinning.

Do you fish straight fireline, or do you add a swivel and mono? My only issue has been tying knots when switching jigs. Thanks, Mike

I've done it both ways. When using a split shot above an ice fly it's better to use some mono - the fireline is so limp that it tangles. I usually tie on a few feet of Vanish (uniknot to uniknot). When tied directly to the lure the feel is so good that I skip the spring bobber. And yeah, it's a pain to tie and trim with cold hands. Good sharp nail clippers are a must. I usually set up a few rods before getting on the ice.

My gripe is that Fireline seems to confuse the flasher - I can never get the flasher to read a small lure without a swarm of clutter on the screen. Does the Crystal ice stuff do the same? Mono doesn't seem to do it nearly as bad.

I tie direct to jig myself with the 1 or 2lb test but adding a mono leader is always an option. I won't use the swivel - just tie using two uniknots as described. The fireline didn't mess up my flasher at all. Even better was the jig dropped faster than when I was using mono. Now I have to work on easing off the hookset a tad. I was rocketing the fish up so fast with my normal mono hookset I had to reel like a madman to catch up to the fish.

hey mark, do you use fireline for walleyes as well and if so what pound test do you recomend? Also, are you tying a palomor knot when tying straight to the jig?

For walleyes I use the 4lb. I have got many a pike as well with good success and not break or cut off. I have the 2lb on one pole for panfish and like it as well. Most of my panfish line is the berkly 3lb ice line.

I hear ya' on that hookset thing. A little twitch is all it takes - no matter how far down you're fishing. And it's really easy to snap fine mono leader since there's no stretch.

I can't wait to try it. I just put some on my new Jason Mitchell "Meatstick" deadstick rod. Now its time to drown some minnows.

I'm not sure what the reason is about the clutter on the Vex. I've noticed that with other fireline. I've noticed that it tends to hold air bubbles on the line and I'm thinking it must show up as other clutter all the way down the column because of the bubbles sticking to your line.

I find that Norskys bite Fireline off MUCH easier than mono (of the same lb. rating). In the summer I always add a few arm lengths of 14 lb. Vanish. If you're targeting Northerns through the ice I really think you need a mono leader, and retie after EVERY bite!

A few thoughts about the clutter:

I hadn't noticed the bubbles but I'll check it out.

The Fireline is a kind of 'flat' shape so line twist is really obvious (the stuff deosn't get tangly - it just gets a kind of spiral look to it). Since there's no give I end up setting the drag pretty loose and that contributes to the twist.

After a while it gets frizzy even though it's still good and strong - I usually strip off a few yards every time I retie.

It absorbs water and freezes on the spool so you have to kind of run it through your fingers to strip the ice off when you drop your lure.

I hate all of those qualities and I think they all contribute to the clutter on the flasher, but I just can't go back to mono - the feel's that good!

If someone knows of an ice line that's got that feel in a single strand, I'm willing to listen. I tried PowerPro last summer - for about a week. It had the round shape but it seemed kind of abrasive and coiled like a mutha.

Has anyone tried some of the hybrid flourocarbon/poly lines? I used some 8 lbs Yozuri line last summer and liked it. It seems to stretch less than normal mono, and doesn't absorb water.

I have no interest in their company, I just like their line.

Labs that is the only line I use in the summer. Flips, jigs, and whips jigs far. I use to always use super lines but supers lines would get crazy whiplash tangles from jigging, and I spent more time untangling knots then fishing. I dislike mon cuz of the stretching and memory. I found Yozuri had less stretch than mono, and also less memory. And the best thing is Yozuri's line was just as versatile as mono. I could use it for any kind of fishing. I think you will like it, but I never try if for ice fishing though.

Always use a palomar knot when tieing braid. As for mono I prefer Gamma and Pline in that order for ice fishing and summer. Did not like Yozuri at all. Dietz put me onto Gamma line and so far it has been great. Have been looking for their ice line but no luck. The regular 4lb has worked well for ice fishing. I have tried all the fluorocarbon lines and am not a fan of them epecially in cold weather. Fluoro leader on a braid has always been a better performer for me than straight fluoro.

I have found the Crystal fireline has been less likely to freeze up on my spools than other braids. And that comes from fishing Pool 4 in Jan and Feb.

Are you sure you've got your info correct? It all sounds very subjective in observation.

Bite off in 14# Fireline is more likely than #14 Flouro? It's possible that scissor sharp teeth can cut Fireline but that's the same with any mono line. I found 20# Fireline outperformed 20# Florocarbon lines and most definelty 8# Fireline hasn't been snipped by Walter as opposed to 8# vanish in my experience.

Fireline, "flatshaped" ? or commonly refered to as ribbon shaped. It's a fused line that's quite round, but may compressed over time and become ribbon like as more of a common problem with braided line with heavy line wrapping that ends up digging into spool.

Fireline is made of dyneema fibres and those fibres does not absorb water as so claim by manufacture. (Floro's are claim to not absorb water either but after three hours of soaked, the line does become more limp.) The problem is that Fireline does not have water repellent property like teflon or silicone so water stays on the line and ends up freezing in frigid air. Unfortunately teflon and silicone rubs off pretty easy as they don't have anti abrasion qualities. If you're getting a lot of line fray on Fireline, then any other braid line with teflon or silicone treatment won't last very long either. Some of the line fray is from the line guides on your rod, some from the anti-twist roller ball, and some from the edge of your spool lip. The rest can be from contact with other surfaces like ice.

Powerpro has an waxy coating that's kind of feels like sticky wax to the hand. It helps preven line dig on the spool. After some use, it'll rub off on your line guides and anything else that rubs on it. I know that there's a good following of Powerpro on FM.

I've found Yozuri Hybrid to have less memory prob compared to Gamma, both 4# lines. Testing both from fresh spools from this summer and now for icing.

It's my experience, so subjective it is! Read my opinions at your own risk.

This biteoff stuff only applies to Northerns. I "think" (personal reflection) the reason heavy mono is better than fireline for Northern biteoffs is because of the larger diameter and stretch - Fireline is so strong for it's size that all of the energy is transferred to that tiny spot where tooth meets line.

I realize that 14lb. Vanish is NOT considered leader material and still does get bitten off by Northerns, but not as often. It's my personal compromise between stealth and strength.

Please understand that I am a HUGE Fireline fan. I have it on all of my spinning gear. I just happen to know that no matter what fish I'm fishing for, good old Norsky is going to show up for the party, and I don't want to chase the Bass and Walleyes off with a big ol' leader. So I use some reasonably heavy Vanish to up my chances.